MLS in Tv or movies?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Bayer04fan, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Bayer04fan

Bayer04fan New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA,USA
    After reading the thread about having seen MLS on Dawson Creek, I remembered seeing a D.C. United poster in the movie, Pay It Forward. In the scene, I think the poster is on the kid's door.

Have any guys seen MLS shown on any TV shows or movies? It could be a subtle reference or even a poster or advertisement?

2. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Sportsnight had the best MLS reference in it....

two sportscasters talking and one mentions not being able to name a single team in MLS and the other broadcaster and office staff race off the (at the time) ten teams in the league.

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I just watched the first season of Sports Night on DVD. They constantly have soccer on the monitors in the background and one of the casters, Dan, is a MLS fan. He talks about it a lot. There is the race as mentioned above and they actually do a segment during one of their fictional broadcasts on MLS games. It was fun to catch in the original season of Sports Night.

4. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    I liked that show

5. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was about to mention this. My wife and I are huge Sportsnight fans. I love the irony of it because Dan, who hates soccer because it's boring but gets a boner about yacht racing, walks around this office and everytime you see a monitor or tv on in the background it's soccer (mostly). I would love to hear what Aaron Sorkin would say about it (creator of Sportsnight and more recently The West Wing).

Also, after Dan's humle suggestion on air of making the nets bigger (in addition to Casey's counter suggestion of making the nets smaller and no goalie) Dan goes into Isaac's office where he is told that their network (CSC) has 2 or 5 year contract (I can't remember at this moment) with Major League Soccer.

The sad thing is that before FSW and HDNet, MLS was getting more coverage on a fictional sports network than it was in reality.

Man I love that show.

6. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    Clint Mathis and Cobi Jones were on a Disney TV show about some special jersey where if the kid put it on, he could play as any pro athlete he wanted. I think he picked Clint. Perfect role model for a Disney character.

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Metrostars banner in movie Hellboy

8. 12wizards22

12wizards22 New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Kansas City, KS
    it's not mls but in the day after tomorrow. they had a manchester united match on in and one of the guys was a fan of man. united.

9. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    in ARLINGTON ROAD, jeff bridges son is a big dc united fan and in the horrible GODZILLA starring matthew broderick, there is a big mls logo inside of madison square garden.

10. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    And here I thought I was the only one who liked that show.

Anyways, other references:

Pleasantville-as Tobey McGuire's character is flipping through channels towards the beginning, one of the channels has Cobi playing for LA

Pay It Forward-IIRC, the little kid has a team pennant (DC maybe)

The Drew Carey Show-in random episodes, the original Mitre ball can be seen in the background

11. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    Bloody hell. You stole my thunder because I was gonna mention that I saw a New England Revolution pennant in Dawson's bedroom in one of the earlier seasons of the show. That's the only tv/movie I can think of with MLS references (well, that I've seen).

There is of course the wonderful Manchester United "fan club" in EuroTrip. Vinnie Jones was hilarious in that.

12. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I watched "Monster House" on Discovery or TLC and basically the house was meant to be made a soccer house and the family were huge Galaxy fans so a bunch of shiznit was decked out in Gals gear, including the family with jerseys.

13. italchacao

italchacao New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin TX
    Where was it? I missed it

14. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the wall of Hellboy's room when they first go in at the beginning of the movie.

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    True story. Law and Order shot a scene in my friend's home. The producers told my friend he could decorate the room that was shot for a 15 year sports fan. Needless to saw my friend and I went to work on the room. Unfortunately the final production only had about 8 seconds worth of the actual room. But you could clearly make out the logos of MLS, Metrostars, NY Rangers, Glasgow Rangers, Yankees, Knicks, and Kaiser Cheifs. :)

16. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I was going to mention this one. In the batting cage scene, the kid is wearing an old-logo DCU cap.

17. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There's that one movie with Freddie Prinz Jr. (sp?) and that one chick who used to be hot, but then turns out to be hot for the prom. In that movie, which I can't remember the name of, some dude is wearing a Crew jersey while rapping during the middle of lunchtime at the high school they go to.

18. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that episode. Their entire backyard was turned into a HDC look-a-like. At the end of the show a bunch of GAL benchwarmers came to the house and were introduced to the family.

TS.

19. DutchOven

DutchOven Red Card

Nov 16, 2004
    Tony Sopranos' fat kid had an a MetroStars' poster on the wall at one point, possibly 1st, or 2nd season.

20. Bayer04fan

Bayer04fan New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA,USA
    Who are the Kaiser Chiefs?

21. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    South African club team

22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's All That.

23. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that Cats and Dogs movie the kid is shown wearing a generic MLS-logo shirt.

24. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of South African club teams, I feel the need to bring up the Jomo Cosmos whose namesake you can probably guess. NY Cosmos will be back someday like it or not.

25. tallyhoaliho

tallyhoaliho New Member

Aug 20, 2004
    L.A., San Diego
    On "The Forgotten" DvD...in the extended version, alternate ending portion of the movie the kid has a metrostars flag in his room...nearly fell off the couch in excitement! And i dont even like the metrostars!