MLS in Football Manager 2005!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by profiled, May 13, 2004.

1. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  2. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    Sweet...will be nice to get all the US players back in there. Never really got into managing an MLS side though because although it seems SI tried hard get it close to correct (league structure etc...) it just wasn't close enough. That being said I'll surely give MLS another whirl when its released.

3. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm there every day pushing those who need to be pushed to get things right this time. Perhaps we could come up with a thread here that discussed the things that were right in cm4 and wrong in cm4 and the things that would be good to be included, as it would help keep us on track and give you guys a voice in what things are the most *essential* to a MLS experience in Football Manager 2005.

4. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    Hmmm, I'll have to check the old memory banks because my memory of MLS in CM4 is fuzzy. By the time the "enhancement packs" fixed the glaring issues I was already wrapped up in an EPL job and then 03/04 came out and I switched to that so I think I only got 2 MLS seasons in. Did play a bunch of seasons of MLS in CM3 01/02 but at that point MLS teams were handled just like any other league team.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great news! I refused to purchase Championship Manager 03/04 specifically because it didn't include MLS.

So when is the expected release date for MLS Manager 2005? :confused:

-G

6. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is fantastic news! Now I can bring american players to my spanish team! I never really play with MLS teams because of all the restrictions.

Thanks for the update man.

<EDIT> OMG OMG OMG! I didn't even read the thread you posted the first time.

IT"S BEING RELEASED IN AMERICA!!!!!!!!!! WOHOO!

7. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    The game will be available in American stores? When is the release date?

8. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Excellent news! I would assume this will be released in the fall, because, IIRC, CM usually relased in the fall to coincide with the new EPL season.

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that Eidos (who partnered with SI all those years making Championship Manager) won't have MLS in its upcoming soccer/football sim... if so, then the decision of which sim for me to play has been made that much easier! :cool:

-G

10. jaredm

jaredm New Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Philadelphia, PA
    Profiled,

This is great news. I wrote a review of CM4 that focused on how well the MLS was modeled in the game. Here's an excerpt that might be informative:

I think some of the major problems were with the draft (no pool of college players and an inability to scout players in the draft made it essentially a crapshoot) and good players being cut or put up for the supplemental draft because their incomes were too high (mostly due to clauses where their income would increase 25% each year).

I'd be happy to provide more input if you want....feel free to PM me or post here for more comments on the MLS in CM4.

11. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US
    Football Manager/MLS Manager 2005 is expected to be released near the end of 2004.

12. TheAtomicBull

TheAtomicBull New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    Rochester, MN
    I've got a couple of questions for you?

How difficult would it be to include a script that would gradually increase the number of MLS teams to 18-20 over time?

Will the smaller US leagues be there in FM2005? I know you could manage A-League teams in CM4, so I'm curious about this.

Also, what about the demand for new researchers since MLS will be in FM2005? I'd be happy to help if at all possible, especially with small details/lower league stuff.

13. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes Smaller division US league will be there. If I believe what I read correctly. But the difference between the two titles Football Manager 2005 and MLS Manager 2005, are slim to nil. Different Logo Maybe, and a Different Box in the US.

I believe that now MLS will provide some help for getting the RULES correct. I wonder if SI still needs some MLS researchers.

14. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the biggest problem in CM4 in MLS was the AI coaches would cut the goalkeepers to make salary cap room. Then, Adin Brown and Kevin Hartman were free agents for A-League teams and 2nd tier Euro teams.

Also, there is no news item that declares if a shortlisted player was waived.

Moreso, media interaction in MLS is abysmal. I know its not Europe in real life, either, but its not like there isn't any news or speculation about it.

Finally, from the perpective of coaching for a Euro team, its bloody impossible to buy the top MLSers. I've still never been able to sign DaMarcus Beasley.

Lastly, FIFA new transfer windows for the US need to be implemented, as well.

15. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, SI Games can give me a ring if they need a MLS researcher.

My CM4 database is entirely updated for MLS, and partially for the A-League. My biggest issue has been finding replacement teams for all the ones that've folded since the game was released. I've got the Austin Posse and Ajax Orlando part of the A-League.

16. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, one last general suggestion for the moment.

Football Manager should include club to club relationships and partnerships, such as Man Utd and Antwerp or LA Galaxy and Sao Paolo.

17. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I lied.

FM needs to have the ability for a team from another country to play in another country's league. For example, the A-League. Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary and now Puerto Rico all play in the A-League. However, CM4 has to have them all labeled as US teams. The minor, though upsetting, ramification is these teams fill out their rosters and sign a majority of American players rather than Canadians or Puerto Ricans.

The same could be said for the Welsh teams in England.

18. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we all know that the U.S. produces the best talent in CONCACAF.

*ducks*

19. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent News
    I didn't purchase 03/04 because of lack of MLS

To help get around the salary cap I renegotiated my key players right away with larger incentive bonuses I used the money coming in to fill out the rest of the team

20. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a way to fix it, is that When selecting the MLS/A-League and the rest, is that the option should read either "US/Canada" or "N. America" because the Mexican league is represented fine. And then in the database, you can do a search for Canadian talent and teams and the A-League should be referenced but not crosslinked to the US, but to North America. It'd be weird and it might cause database problems but i think SI can work it out.

21. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's supposed to be a very good media editor in FM2005. Now, not only can you create new news sources, but you can change and write new lines for them. Good stuff.

22. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    It sounds like he meant the frequency of media stories on MLS...can that be adjusted?

23. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the current situation of MLS in the US news media, we'd have to use the Editor to REDUCE the number of news items...lol :D

24. breadandsoccer

breadandsoccer New Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    They are always looking for researchers. Go to the SI site and contact them.