MLS IN CCL: Final CCL Groupstage Matchday (R) Aug 20,21,22

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tigersoccer2005, Oct 18, 2009.

1. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Interestingly, all three MLS teams have the tie-breakers versus their competition for the second berth.

Problem with Houston is that a tie of any score in the Pachuca/Arabe Unido gives both teams what they want (Pachuca the group win/Arabe going through). Houston needs not only to win, but to have Pachuca beat Arabe. The good news is that Pachuca lost on the road to the Panamanians and might go all out to get revenge -- Pachuca is through either way.

2. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if Sarprisa wins then they are not, goals against -4

1 Cruz Azul 5g 11goals 13 p
    2 Columbus 6 -4 8
    3 Saprissa 5 -1 5
    4 Puerto Rico Islanders

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Houston wins, each MLS team would have gone 1-1-1 on the road. Both DC and Houston were 2-1 at home and Columbus was 1-1-1. Given Columbus' group and the fact that they won in Saprissa, I think this pretty much kills the "MLS sucks in CCL" theory, but shows there is still progress to be made. Hopefully, this success pushes the CBA negotiations forward.

4. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    correct

5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...so, we get to pretend that New York and Toronto never happened? :D

6. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    If Saprissa wins then they'll have 8 points, just like Columbus. The first tiebreaker is points earned in games between the tied teams. Columbus took 4 from Saprissa while Saprissa took 1 from Columbus.

7. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well that is weird, only in Concacaf

8. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    First tie-breaker is head to head. The crew beat saprissa and then tied them so they advance because they have more points in their head to head series.

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant to add group stage in there. Thanks for keeping me honest.

I want to believe the USSF would re-think giving a spot to the MLS Cup runner-up, but I know they have already decided that for 2010-11 so it seems futile to even wish for. As for Toronto, that's those wacky Canadians, not MLS. :p

Slight threadjack, but does anyone else (besides El Jefe :p) find it funny that in all these articles about MLS coaching vacancies, I don't recall seeing Colin Clark's name even though he took one team deep in the CCL, knocked off TFC this time and did a respectable job in a tough as shit group?

10. TracieB

TracieB Member

Oct 2, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Head to Head points is how it should be decided. It makes the most sense.

11. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I wouldn't mind him being considered for New York.

12. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it has to do with the talent he has in PR ... but whenever i see his club play his tactics are very defensive..... even by early MLS existence standards

13. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    quick glance at the soccernet schedule....SJB and Marathon play Thursday at 10PM..Irt would seem unfair first, not to the play the last games at the same time....but not only that....MArathon's staff has two whole days to work and prepare an offensive strategy -or counter- fully knowing what they need to do....Bless CONCACAF.....

14. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And MLS.

15. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I agree that he has done well with a USL squad but he is 2-5-5 (11 pts) in the group stage over the past 2 years which is on par with DC's 3-2-7 (11 pts) group stage record. They did do extremely well against Marathon (who finished top of their group last year) and in their home leg against Cruz Azul. I'm not taking anything away from what he has done, I'm just not sure if that 3 game run justifies saying he could work wonders on a MLS team.

16. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    And the UEFA Champions League.......

"7.06 If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group
    matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings (in
    descending order):
    a) higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the
    teams in question;"

Edit: I keep getting beaten by someone by a minute with my info.

18. Willito

Willito Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Agreed, but it all comes down to execution at the end, SJB may want to go out with a bang. The game has to be played first. (crossing fingers).

19. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for the record,

Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy, MLS, and Poland use head to head points as the first tie breaker in league play as well.

Of course its yet another thing that MLS gets criticized for having that plenty of other countries have as well. :confused:

20. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Don't let facts get in the way of a good story. MLS and CONCACAF do everything wrong, all the time. :rolleyes:

21. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    So is it time to conclusively declare the Costa Rican league massively overrated?

--Saprissa hasn't made the quarterfinals in either year of the CCL. This year they managed just one win, two draws that were nearly losses, and three losses including two on their vaunted home carpet.

--All of their other participants have lost in the preliminary round. Herediano and Liberia lost matches 6-2 and 6-0 respectively this year.

Where are the people who thought this league deserved more spots at the expense of MLS?

22. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope MLS had very poor showings the last few years...PLus, so far ONE MLS team is in for sure..... It would not be fair .......Give it 2-3 more years and, were this to continue, with MLS doing better and CR clubs struggling, THEN MLS fans could brag.....

23. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS was doing better in the CCC as well.

The final two years of the CCC MLS had 4 semifinalists and Costa Rica had 1. (I just can't remember what happened before that)

During that period I believe MLS teams were 1-1 in knock out rounds with Costa Rican teams.

4 years is plenty of time to say one league is simply better than another league (although it doesn't predict future performances nor does it reveal who was better before those four years).

Costa Rica has some solid club sides from time to time, but its mostly Saprissa with a dash of Alajuelense (sp?) but over the last 4 years (maybe more) of Concacaf play MLS has been superior.

So MLS was doing better in the CCC and has done better in the CCL. Its just case closed.

24. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Now granted, I annoy easily. But I can't believe these threads aren't packed with complaints about the TV production every time. It's maddening. (The production, not the lack of complaints.)

25. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or that FSC tape delays games till 2am instead of airing it tape delayed at 10pm. bastards :mad: