MLS in 2020

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by showtime12, Jan 29, 2010.

1. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I understand nativism, and I understand the purpose of your post, but some states/cities are exempt from being considered "the south" because of the size and scope of their major markets. I think those states are Texas, Florida, Georgia (Atlanta only), and North Carolina (Major soccer following here but still considered south...at least in Region III). I do agree though that New Orleans would not be an easy market at all, in fact imo it would fail. Also, about the NASCAR thing, the markets who are deep into that would not be considered for an MLS franchise. You're thinking of small market/country south, not metropolitan south (Houston, Dallas, SA, Austin, Orlando, Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc.)

2. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Well, the major cities are where any MLS team would be located right?

Chicago Fire Juniors in Louisiana has 3000 players and is the largest branch of the Chicago Fire Juniors (they also have branches in Mississippi, Michigan, and Chicago). Despite the fact that New Orleans lost about ten high school programs due to Katrina, Louisiana has seen growth in boys high school soccer over the past decade. The New Orleans area is considered an undiscovered hotbed for soccer talent. It is hardly considered a way to tire the children out in New Orleans. The Baton Rouge and Lafayette areas are also growing in soccer participation.

3. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Hmm . . . not sure I agree entirely. You are right in that this world cup did not boost attendance or viewership in MLS in any appreciable way that we are aware of at present. However, hosting he World Cup would be a slightly different animal and to be honest it is hard to know how it would impact MLS overall. Remember the league was formed based on hosting the WC (well actually required). To me, the casual American fan is often swayed by actually experiencing a sporting event. Remember that first soccer match, that first college football game, that first Saturday at the ball park . . .

I tend to think that actually hosting would indeed have an impact. Now, it won't change the quality of play. And I am not talking about a waterfall of fans, but even an extra thousand average at each game is HUGE growth for almost any league.

4. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gun down all those eurosnob bastards. That'd go a long way to solving a lot of our problems

Wrong. MLS hasn't had the ability to increase the cap in such a way. When the Dynamo joined the league in 2006, MLS was a very different animal than it is now. Go back just 3 years earlier, and it was even more strange. The differences between today and yesteryear are stadiums of or own and sponsorships (both league-wide and team based). Much of that didn't exist back then and only now are we getting comfortable to spread our wings a bit, but we ain't ready for the plunge just yet.

If you figure out how to do that, you can have Garber's $3M/yr salary. Considering just how brilliant of a man he is, I doubt you know a way. Do you truly realize just how much money you are talking about?

Nice to know that you are so skilled at spending other people's money, and not making any of it back. You're like that trophy wife old horn dogs get. Just about totally useless.

Won't happen so long as the competition in Europe is better (and it will be for the next, oh, century or better). Case in point is Stuart Holden.

Oh, do tell.

Sure, just like it'd be awesome if I could bang Jewel every night. Neither one will ever happen.

Define: care. 4 different networks have paid good money to show our games. I'd say that means they care. If you are talking about production value, then you are onto something.

And what does that mean, besides being able to pat ourselves on the back?

I would. Maybe in a few years with Montreal, Portland, Vancouver in the league, plus new stadiums in KC and SJ (the HOU stadium won't affect the overall attendance much).

So you know where that unicorn who shits rainbows is, do you?

So you think MLS is close to averaging a World Cup game rating in the US? Wanna share whatever you're smoking with the rest of the class?

Your point? Participation /= viewership

Ummmm....yey?

No more unreasonable than the Republicans wish to kick out everyone who isn't White AngloSaxon Protestant....and rich, of course, out of the US.

5. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what a thread from 2000 would look like right now trying to predict 2010...

6. Darth Vegas

Darth Vegas New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Columbia City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It involved flying cars, SSS's in the deep suburbs and David Beckham.

7. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    This is the biggest BS line that gets thrown in the direction of those of us who urge the league to spend more money on talent in this league.

I'm a fan of the New Orleans Saints, and have been since I was a child. I spent money on Saints merchandise, Saints tickets, etc... my whole life, and as a dedicated fan, I always thought I had the right to speak my mind on how I thought Tom Benson should spend the money to improve the team.

The same principle applies here, even though I don't live in an MLS market I spend money on MLS merchandise; I have purchased MLS Direct Kick when I had satellite; I've paid money to view games on the internet; I support its sponsors, and I've even purchased MLS Cup tickets in the past, so yes, I feel I absolutely have every right to speak my mind to urge the league to spend money to improve talent.

Other people's money? BullSh*t! I've invested in this league. I spend my hard earned money on it, and if I feel like speaking about how that money should be spent, I have every right to.

8. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you could convince another million people or so to do the same, you'd have the point. Even then, the league may not have the revenue to justify that type of spending. You're talking about a HUGE increase in spending without finding a way to pay for that. When the next TV deals are signed, I doubt they'll be for significantly more than what we get (no where near what you suggest). Ticket sales aren't going to drastically change and sponsorships will slowly go up, but not fast enough to keep pace.

Show me where that money would come from in the next 10 years, and you'll have everyone's attention.

9. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    When is MLS going to sell international broadcast rights to Sky? There must be some demand for fair-to-middlin (With all your fav players from past years!) soccer on TV in England during the off-season. Right?

I understand these international rights are all the rage in the EPL. We ought to get us some by 2020.

Seriously, though, if you want MLS to grow leaps and bounds it's going to have to come through TV money. Even if the league averages 20,000 people per game in the stands, at an average ticket price of $30, that only comes to and MLS share (assuming teams remit 30% of gate) of $73 million, which divided up among 24 teams is only $3 million. A substantial increase in TV revenues would be necessary to increase the available funds for a salary cap -- like $48 million/year.

These numbers are wobbly, since teams could possibly "afford" to share more than 30% of gate if they were averaging 20k people for 17 games at $30 apiece, and doing the same calculation with current attendance and TV deal gives me a number lower than the current salary cap. But I don't think that it would change the basic calculus. You need more TV revenue to raise the salary budget.

So any discussion about where the league would be in 2020 should include how much money the league is making from broadcast rights -- and if you don't think that those are going to increase much from 2010, you should probably temper your expectations about what the league looks like in 10 years.

Personally, I have no idea. I'll defer to people who have a clue about sports broadcasting.

My expectation is that some of the old, established teams find a way to perform like the better expansion teams, some of the current expansion teams have found their "new team smell" to have worn off -- but are still doing well, there are no more than 24 teams in the league, and MLS academy players feature prominently in the league and the U-23 National Team and are starting to be sold to Europe regularly in the $3-5 million range. The salary cap is at about $4.5 million (5%/year increase). And RSL has rebranded as Real FC Barcelona Utah, just to piss off the haters.

10. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want MLS to grow you need pro/rel. PERIOD

11. Darth Vegas

Darth Vegas New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Columbia City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Oh dear god, not this again...

12. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    So how do you explain the growth in MLS up to this point?

13. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think we actually need a Big Soccer second division where all the dimwits for pro/rel can be .... well....relegated.

They could each start a new thread each day and the rest of us could enjoy some peace.

14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally just like the growth of the A-league but it's time to leave the nipple and move forward.

15. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Why does every other pro sports league in the US thrive without pro/rel? Is there some kind of voodoo hex on the sport of soccer that it just won't thrive without pro-rel?

16. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it will thrive just don't expect teams to win CCL, but most fans don't care about it anyway.

17. amazingjakeo

amazingjakeo New Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus Christ man. Really? This again?

18. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in 2020 who knows....

19. amazingjakeo

amazingjakeo New Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason why you want pro/rel is because you realize your team wont get in MLS without it.

20. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I want it so that most of the posters scream "watch out the sky is falling".

21. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You lost me with the A League. Do you mean the Australian league? Uhhh, it doesn't have pro/rel either and won't before hell freezes over.

And as far for it being time to leave the nipple, suit yourself, but don't speak for all of us.;)

22. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think the MLS boards should have another sub-division just like it has news &analysis, general, you be the don, etc. It should be pro/rel: the debate continues.

24. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.

25. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    We should host an economics 101 class before you can enter the thread.