MLS Game of the Week ESPN2/FSC

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by P1brit, Jul 16, 2005.

1. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Today the games on National TV are

Chicago Fire vs. Columbus Crew on ESPN
    and
    Metrostars vs. Colorado rapids on FSC

there are two games that catch my attention that I would prefer to watch

New England vs. FC Dallas
    and
    Los Angeles Vs Chivas

with would anyone being in favor of a fan voting system for either one of these weekly TV slots to pick that fans choice ahead of time (ESPN did something like this for hockey a while back). Not to diss on any of the team involved in todays games to be shown, but don't you think that for example FC Dallas vs New England would be a great showcase of the MLS product on national tv?

Any thoughts

2. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    No. The company cannot simply go week to week without knowing where the hell they are going. Voting on games maybe the January before the season --- maybe. But even that's a longshot. Voting cannot happen.

3. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a plan to force people to buy DK.

4. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Thank You. It's not a workable option.

5. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    just watch the stream of the other two games on mlsnet.com.. thats what im doing.

6. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Agreed, it can't happen. Also I'd prefer to see a little bit of every team. I'd like to see teams like the Crew and Rapids that I don't always get to see. I remember last year I got sick pretty quick after watching Freddy and United every Saturday.

7. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Hockey used to do this with some of the games but I think there was plenty of lead time.

8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't have a problem with letting fans vote once or twice a season, but if you did it every week, we'd see the same teams every week. And the networks should try to get as much variety as possible. Especially since we're deep into qualifying... the players on the national team come from all over. The more MLS teams you show, the more of the national team pool the average fan gets to watch.

9. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Judging from some polls, I'd expect to see either DC, RSL, LA, and CDC on every week. I give them props for having solid fans who are dedicated, but I for one would actually like to watch the Rapids every once in awhile.

10. todd_knode

todd_knode New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    San Diego via DC
    I"m a big United fan but i wouldn't vote for them every week if we were given that option. Which we won't! I would have voted for this weeks Dallas - New England game. It's great that MLS puts these games online but I would have much rather seen it on tv than my laptop.
    I'd vote based on what is the most compelling matchup for the week, not which team is my favorite.

Wasn't ABC thinking about this with monday night football and they couldn't get it ok'd by the league? With Sunday games it's alot easier to switch their A game because they are all televised and the times for all games are static.
    Unfortunately it will take a llllooooonnnnngggg time for MLS to reach that point of coverage.

11. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe me...you do not want to watch Colorado.

12. firefan12

firefan12 New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    chicago
    especially for ESPN they show crappy games.

13. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Jeff Cunningham is the most entertaining player in the league to me and I enjoyed them last night.

14. fargonole

fargonole New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    do you have to pay to watch it online?

15. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    No. It's completely free under the "Sights & Sounds" section of MLSnet.com.