MLS Flavors of the week 2023 edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Dec 24, 2022.

1. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean consistently. He started full seasons in NL, Belgium, the Championship, Miazga has had a good career all told.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    At this point you'd have to say Matt Miazga has had the best career of any MLS homegrown academy centerback. At the moment anyway, he's ahead of McKenzie (Philly), Trusty (Philly), and EPB (SKC).

He's had a very good career, and is in the running for Defensive Player of the Year in MLS.

Mike03, TheHoustonHoyaFan and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He likes speedy FBs that can go to the endline. Ability to cross isn't important, he believes he will coach that. Never happen before, but Gregg knows better. Lennon is, basically, younger Zusi who also been underappreciated for a long time.

4. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for giving players who are playing well a shot at the NT. If only it worked that way. ;) At RB I would rank him behind Jones just in MLS.

I also don't have a positive memory of his cap. Looking at the highlights he made at least one nice play putting in a cross that Pepi should have finished.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's younger than Zusi but at 25 isn't a spring chicken.

6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Yes, but at his age Zusi had zero NT games, and less than a full season in MLS. Anyway, I haven't seen enough of Lennon to know whether he is good on defence what's a starting requirement for a FB.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Lennon is right on the Hollingshead line for me.
    A good player that's worthy of caps, but I can't get worked up about others being picked instead.

We have trouble getting Scally caps for Heavan's sake.

theboogeyman and jaykoz3 repped this.
  8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Neither we know how good Scally is.

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Lennon's on the Hollingshead line, then switch me to the camp who's critical he's not been made a regular yet. Before I didn't care much cuz he lacked Ryan's dynamism, 2-footedness, & defense (when he was in his prime). But now sign me up!

Who has the staff not tried to integrate which is worthy of criticism from you? Or are they infallible? Right all along about ARob, Jones, Vazquez, Paredes, Scally, etc.

10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be interesting going forward as MLS continues to improve its' level of play/talent. It may end up being the case that players who leave early and "wash out of Europe and come back to MLS" won't be good enough for MLS and will end up in USL. I commend these players who bet on themselves and go abroad and give it a go. Too many of them need to hire better agents though. Far too many aren't getting themselves into the right situation in order to have the best chance at success. The USMNT program needs more Aaronson's, Pulisic's, McKennie's, Adams' and fewer Reggie Cannon's, Richie Ledezema's, EPB's, etc.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  11. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I've been advocating for DeJuan Jones for years because I felt his game would translate well at the international level. Dont feel the same way about Lennon. Good MLS player though.

Different position but the current MLS player Im most bullish on in terms of national team potential is Vargas. I like Neal too. McGlynn Im on the fence about. Interesting player though.

12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I saw Hollingshead last week vs LAG my thought again was this guy should be playing for the USMNT. Bring him to the October camp.

13. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't want to give up his time for the NT.

Winoman repped this.
  14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He might be the guy who knows better ways to spend his time than going to a camp.

jaykoz3 and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's hardcore into his missionary work, and always has been.

jaykoz3, butters59 and Winoman repped this.
  16. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has he ever been recruited? He is not only a fantastic soccer player at both FB slots, he is the kind of human being that makes me ashamed of myself and want to do better.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    jaykoz3 repped this.
  18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. He received and turned down at least one callup many years ago now. I know this because it was discussed in detail back then, and has been discussed many more times since.

Winoman repped this.
  19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Hollingshead has his church-related work. That car accident and his miraculous recovery may have had an impact on his National Team ambitions.

Ryan Hollingshead | The Village Church

Scally is playing at a good level. He has not been excelling, however. That's not bad as he is a 20 y/o still learning his craft. Being good enough to get on a B1 field at that age is an impressive accomplishment. Lennon is very much the mature, polished article. Whereas Scally is still developing an identity, Lennon is very much the sort of creative, attacking fullback who fits GGG's system. His play merits a cap with the A Team to better gauge his level.

RalleeMonkey and Winoman repped this.
  20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd put at least Richards ahead of him.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #4696 Clint Eastwood, Sep 20, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
    I'm a Hollingshead guy. FCD fans love Hollingshead. I like Lennon too. I defended the callup of Lennon to that Bosnia camp. He's a versatile player, and worthy of being at a domestic camp. The Hollingshead line ain't a bad line. I think of both as former attacking players that have been converted to fullbacks. Both are very versatile.

I just don't get worked up over Jones versus Lennon versus Reynolds versus whomever down our depth chart like other people do. I give the USMNT coach the license to evaluate Julian Gressel if he wants to at this point in a cycle (which wasn't Berhalter).

If folks think Berhalter doesn't like Lennon, they should read what he said about him. I would not be surprised to see him return, particularly for the next domestic camp. SSFC Spotlight: Brooks Lennon enters fullback conversation - Stars and Stripes FC

Lennon earned his first senior call-up in January of 2018 for a friendly against Bosnia and Herzegovina but stayed on the bench. Almost four years later, he received a winter camp invitation and appeared in the 1-0 victory over the same opponent, starting and playing 62 minutes at right back. Gregg Berhalter cited him as “someone who impressed in camp,” having played “reasonably well” in the freer fullback role.

The manager named Lennon to the January training camp and subsequent roster for the upcoming international window, a show of faith deep into the Octagonal. “You can tell he’s played the amount of games in Major League Soccer that he has,” Berhalter said in December. “He has that experience to him, even though he’s a young player, and that’s fun to see in the fullback position. I think he’s a solid, solid fullback.”

22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were all so close that any taken would have probably looked about the same and there would be criticism of any left behind. I know I didn't have any definitive favorites so felt bad for those not chosen but it was a throw a dart for five or six choices. Go back and look at the poll we had before the WC. lots of players high on our list now get criticized if they were taken. I hope it's tougher next WC but instead of picking the best out of a weak lot I hope they've all advanced and it's pick the best out of a great lot.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I said "best career for a homegrown CB" so far, not most talented. :)

Chris Richards needs to stay healthy and show some consistency. He certainly has the potential to end up there. Hell, guys like McKenzie and Trusty do too.

24. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lennon hasn't been nearly as productive as Hhead and is playing a deeper position. Lennon isn't even as good as Aaron Herrera and he switched to Guatemala.

25. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this 100%. We have a lot of guys who are good strikers in good leagues. Balo is the only real standout from the crowd. His .60 npxG per 90 is truly elite. The rest are in the .40ish range in Champo/MLS/NL.

Dike is different gravy but you can't score from the training room.

deejay repped this.