MLS Flavors of the Week: 2020 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by IndividualEleven, Feb 28, 2020.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like, relative to how much or how little of an opportunity they received this week, Yanks did pretty well.

But we saw a lot of questionable benchings to start the season, i.e.: Araujo, Ebobisse, Toye, etc. I think at the very beginning of the last couple of seasons many MLS teams played with their new toys from overseas on opening day before giving some domestic holdovers or youth a chance. So hopefully that's what happened again.

Of course then some will be better dealed again after the midseason window and teams gear up for the playoffs. Point is just this week is not near the peak or maybe even average.

2. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    A couple of draft picks were thrown right into the fire. Seagrist with NYRB and Robinsons with Miami. They look lost and confused. I watched the NYRB game and Seagrist was incredibly poor. But we have seen that NCAA just doesn't prepare you for MLS.

Compare that with Tessman or other guys going from Academy-USL and then coming into MLS (at a much younger age) and these players can compete and look competent. Tessman in particular was very good.

Seagrist probably seems more mature to the coaches at NYRB, because he is 22. Maybe he trained well. But, wow, was he out of his depth. First game jitters? Again, why are 22 yo players so jittery compared to teenagers coming out of Academy/USL? I expect him to get a few games to see if he settles down. I don't know if Tolkin is next up, but if I thought Tolkin would get 200' this year, I would now think that number is closer to 500'.

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josef Martinez is likely out for the rest of the season...

If I’m one of the following, I’m licking my chops at opportunity to go to Atlanta and stake my claim:

1. Jeremey Ebobisse
    2. Mason Toye
    3. Sebastian Soto
    4. Christian Ramirez
    5. CJ Sapong

Excellency and largegarlic repped this.
  4. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ebobisse is the only, of those three, remotely established starter. i wouldnt say questionable benchings as much as mistaken predictions.

5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No predictions were made.

But Araujo reportedly had a strong preseason and was better than Feltscher + Kitchen last season yet played behind them and now. 2 of the 3 teams those players belong to have earned a rep of being poor at integrating homegrowns.

And like I said, this typically happens where players who've just signed from abroad are favored over cheaper domestics in general at the very start of the season. I remember Jay Simpson starting the first couple of games over CJ Sapong and that was a real joke. But they foolishly splurged on Simpson, so you gotta give him a chance to give you the ROI I guess.

6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Why would Atlanta want any of them? The MLS window is open for another two months, why wouldn't they do their usual and sign a South American? I can't see them bothering with Americans. Plus, the only one really worth anything is Soto and they would ruin him like all the others.

It is interesting that you don't list an American from Atlanta's own USL team.

7. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can it be? has the time finally come...are you...are you saying its ANDREW CARLETON TIME!?!?!!!

[​IMG]

adam tash and yurch10 repped this.
  8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Atlanta’s USL team is garbage, and Jahn is seriously the best thing that was already coming out to fill those shoes. And Jahn is never going to be at the level that Atlanta needs him to be.

It’s highly possible that Atlanta looks elsewhere... Rumor mill is pointing towards Daniel Sturridge.

Still, I don’t see how Atlanta would “ruin” any player. In fact, if I am any of Soto, Toye, Ebobisse, etc. I would be clawing at any chance to go to Atlanta right now. For the reason that despite Atlanta taking a major hit from this injury, it’s still in the top 3 MLS teams (If not clearly #1) regarding creators in the pool. Toye, Ebobisse, and Soto could step into that situation and become a potential 20+ goal scorer THIS year, and use that for a good offer to go abroad.

What prospective forward wouldn’t want that chance? To have that quality of service and to play in front of 50k+ fans? I’m sure managers won’t let them go for nothing... but if Atlanta could make it worth it; I don’t see where this wouldn’t be the best thing that ever happened to these young prospects.

50/50 Ball and largegarlic repped this.
  9. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    He is not a forward and is loaned to Indy 11.

10. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Why would any player with USMNT aspirations go to a club that won't release you for January Camp?

Atlanta has not done a good job with any prospects. There USL team is hot garbage, because they have no idea what they are doing.

I agree that MLS lifers like Toye would like to go there if they would start. But they will not start and more than likely, Atlanta will buy a player soon or in the Summer and you will be benched for the duration of your contract.

Soto is a free agent in Europe in June. He probably already is working on a deal with a Bundesliga club. Why would he come to a team on a different continent? He is probably acquainted with Carelton, Goslin, and Kunga...do you think they would recommend it to him?

Altlanta will sign someone like Sturrige if they can fit him under the cap. In all honesty, that is a better option for them than any American in MLS except maybe Zardes.

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lennon, Robinson, and Hyndman have all got their shot at Atlanta. That doesn’t put them in the FC Dallas territory, but they’ve proven to play more American talent than Portland and LAFC. Right now, Toye would step in and be an automatic starter - so long as he does not completely shit the bed. Now, when Josef returns next year... If someone like Toye does well; Atlanta aren’t so dense that they would stop playing Toye. Nevertheless, it’s a perfect opportunity for any young American forward who wants one of the best chance creation teams to be built around him in the attack.

It’s the dream scenario...

largegarlic repped this.
  12. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ebobisse got 11 goals playing the wing. He could really be a 20 goal man playing in ATL. They’d have to come off a lot of funny money to get him.

Eleven Bravo and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You guys already know what Atlanta is going to do in response to the Martinez injury. They're going to buy another Argentine forward. And if they don't have the international roster slot or cap space...................they'll make it.

Patrick167 repped this.
  14. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I feel like Atlanta gets a bit of an unfair bad rap with regard to playing Americans due to their academy under-performing after a lot of initial hype. But compared to the other big-spending teams, they seem more willing than average to give American players a shot, just not ones from their academy so far (though it does seem like the club rates Bello; he just can't stay healthy).

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  15. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta is still sitting on all that Villalba money plus some other monies.... The MLS salary cap system is not the most transparent but Atlanta should have more than enough money to get Ebobisse or Toye.

I would love to see either given the chance to be the primary striker for a team like Atlanta that can really provide a lot of service.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I heard Ebobisse was injured and they extended his contract.

17. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I watched quite a bit of the Miami/LAFC game, and Robinson was the worst player on the field. I'll be surprised if he scores more than a couple goals all season. Reminded me of when I convinced an athletic friend in high school to come out for the soccer team. Just had no clue, looked like he had two left feet. Wasn't he the #1 pick? oomph.

Patrick167 and largegarlic repped this.
  18. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I only saw a bit and I saw a nice touch, good dribbling and speed. I bet he's good for 7 or 8 goals this season.

19. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    That was my impression too. I was surprised to see some people in the Youth National Teams forum saying that he looked good. He ran around a lot, but to little effect. I'll cut him some slack, since it was his first game, on the road, and against a good opponent, but I didn't see much there.

Patrick167 repped this.
  20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...s-golazo-josefs-acl-more-full-week-1-analysis

Scroll down to the vid at point #8 to see Pomykal in action. Good stuff. the other guy who plays like this (something Berhalter doesn't rate) is Delgado who played double dmid with Osorio in a 4231 for Toronto.

Opta has Osorio down for 2 recoveries, 1 interception, 1 lost tackle. My guess is that Liam Fraser will (finally) play in that spot next outing with Osorio sitting higher.

Anyway, good to see Curly Doyle getting the vibe.

Classic goal for Toronto started by Delgado (starts at 3'20" mark) who passes in behind Yueil - who should have been marking Pozuelo - giving Toronto 3 on 2. Note the clean flat back 4, 3 mids and 3 forwards (Laryea is playing rw replacing Shaffelburg who was woeful in fh)

21. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    He got better as the game went on. He was completely frustrated that the ref wasn’t giving him calls. Late in the game I saw Pizarro telling/showing Robinson to fall when being pulled backwards. What he did well was getting into channels and beat defenders to the ball. He got stronger on the ball as the game went on. He made some decent passes too. But yeah, he had many bad moments and in the first half looked way out of place. I’m going to predict he gets much better over the course of the season.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  22. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Portland has been TERRIBLE for yanks. And their academy produces squat. Decent team year on year, and I love 'em, but just bleh from the USNT standpoint.

Correction: from the USMNT standpoint. They do alright for the WNT.

23. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That isn't quite true. He had better matches and he had worse matches than the alternatives (and some disasters) as you might expect from a young player. Locking down the starting job is a good goal for him this season.

24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Robinson looked very promising. Played for 90' as a striker.

25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's my assessment from watching them last season, iirc he had a higher WS rating as a starter, more upside, and the LAG back line fell apart in the playoffs.

Why hasn't Southern California had a single academy player worth integrating in several years of having the opportunity? Seems very odd given the population, culture, and history of that area.