MLS Flavors of the Week: 2020 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by IndividualEleven, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with Mahtzo. It's not an either or and in my opinion the youth factories have a gig advantage if they'll use it. Look at what HG's you have and will have in the next few years and then pick three great players at your weakest spots. Really quite simple in concept. Execution is harder because no player is an automatic great player. But lets say Philly and FCD both sell more players and have 10-15 million to spend on replacements if they choose. Some will go to the academy (Guessing) but FCD had two of their DP's on the bench in a playoff game and they never entered the game. That's the nightmare DP scenario. Dump them and use some of that money for substantially better DP's. As Mahtzo says combine your great youth academy with great DP's and some good draft picks and league reclamations. A lot of other teams even with great DP's won't be able to hang if your DP's are close to as good as theirs.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    tomásbernal repped this.
  3. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if New England win, then Matt Turner won’t be able to start in goal!

Do you really want to make Matt Doyle sad?

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, yes we do.

TrueCrew repped this.
  5. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Yeah, he’s so physically imposing that he’d be tough to deal with between Pulisic on one side and Dest essentially on the other.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    How about that save on Nani's pk attempt......tt talked about it on replay. You can actually time how long it takes for Turner to get down vs. other keepers like Steffen. I wonder what it would show? I doubt anybody cares cuz....you know....Pep....EPL....oooooo

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #2882 Excellency, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    I wonder why Il Bruce is playing in his own 20 when he is up a man? One slip and it's a pk. Xtram man comes into play in other areas where one can play keep away

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Revs are up a man, their midfielder recovers in midfield and sends the ball to a guy covered by 4 defenders without even so much a glance at any other player on the pitch.

Really poor coaching. Couva level.

p.s. edit: And I've loved watching Revs recently for the first time since Nguyen and Jones were running things to the MLS cup final - which Bruce won with Gals (Donovan, et al)

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Dike and Mueller, come on down.

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nice game from Polster. He has added a silvery technical finish at Rangers with Steve Gerrard as Manager. Polster was always a game winner. Schweinsteiger got him, along with Gerrard and now Arena. Schweinsteiger used him at rwb and set up switches where Polster would get the ball in space and turn at goal.

I'm in favor of getting more players to Rangers and we owe him one. Pomykal, Tessman? Unfortunately I don't know how long Gerrard stays with R'gers.

11. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Massive save. I thought that was the game slipping away from the Revs but Turner came up big. He wasn’t nearly strong enough on the goal allowed, but didn’t have a wrong step after that. Took a big knock as well and got on with it. Pretty solid performance in a chaotic game.

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I love Dike's potential but I am not sure he is there yet. Wasn't as involved as I would have liked.

13. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now please advance, CBus. I want to see Dike, not Zardes...

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Zardes is almost universally under-appreciated here. He has worked on his game a lot and is still a fantastic athlete and very intelligent with his runs. Keep an open mind!

15. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I’d call them both in. Zardes is likely to be busy, however.

16. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zardes also has 56 caps. We know what he can do. We have so few friendlies before games that matter that I think we need to take these chances to test new options.

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    but also how Zardes fits in with the young guns.

18. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The December camp is going to be a largely young roster that isn’t going to feature most of our presumed starting XI. It’s more about preparing for the Olympics, the U20s and seeing if any standouts can emerge for the full national team.

Thus I don’t think it’s all that important to see how Zardes fits in with this group.

I bet Zardes will be at the January camp though so we’ll see how he stacks up with a lot of these guys. And the next time the full senior team is together (nations league?) I bet he’ll be there too.

19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I think Berhalter will want a couple of veterans to mix with the group. Maybe Zardes and maybe others. Remember #9 is the biggest ??? on the team.

20. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zardes is fine. He’s a solid CONCACAF player. I want to see who’s possibly going to surpass him from MLS.

This is a chance to see some of these young MLS guys like Mueller, Dike, Aaronson, and the like. Therefore, if it’s a choice between Dike or Zardes, I pick the former. If it’s between McKenzie and Long, same thing, I want to see McKenzie.

21. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah if I were Berhalter I’d call in a few vets. Lletget figures to be there. Zimmerman if Nashville loses tonight. Berhalter likes Long and Yuiell who are both out of the playoff (I don’t care for either but at least they’ve been there before).

And yeah, if Columbus gets knocked out, Zardes will probably be there. I’d just rather see a new face like Dike.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're going to have two camps, in a vacuum I don't have a problem w/ the first one being heavily skewed toward the younger group (even most being u-20).

But you still need a few vets to keep the machine moving & not insult El Salvador by having it be a glorified youth team against their seniors. That's not good diplomacy.

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I watched my first MLS game in a while...

I didn't see much from Mueller. Was this an off game?

Thought Turner heavily to blame on goal. Made a decent PK save. It wasn't the best shot but git down quick.

Dike is intriguing, but didn't see a complete game. Some nice hold up play, some turns, and drawing the PK, but still has a long way to go.

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Outside of Morris, the MLS vets arent good enough. I dont know what crappy machine they would keep moving and not sure I would be afraid of upsetting el salavador, or for that matter, telling them our intentions up front.

25. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As opposed to the even-younger teams we just sent out against Wales and Panama?

Start the best players. If the best players skew young because the camp skews young, too bad. And if El Salvador doesn’t like it, they can just beat us then.

Besides, playing young players isn’t dirty. El Salvador gets kinky and bites people’s nipples, maybe they should consider cleaning up their play on the field (and perhaps not match-fixing off of it), before worrying about the age of their US opponents...