MLS Flavors of the Week, 2015 Edition [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Jan 13, 2015.

1. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jermaine Jones has just reported that the Revs have only offered him 20% of last year's salary. Of course, he will have to sit out the, ahem, first 6 matches of the season.

So either . . .

1. They aren't that interested in paying him another big salary.
    2. They are playing a bit of hardball, given the circumstances.
    3. A combination of the two (most probable).

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS players don't forfeit salaries for suspensions, do they?

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's 1. Because that's what he worth. At most.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Jones is not as good anymore as some seem to think. I'd hardly call him more than an above average MLS player.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He was making 3m. 20% of that is 600K/year. Zusi makes 680K and JJ is still better than him. Too low.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #8006 ussoccer97531, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    Zusi's overpaid.

If you take the players paid within 100k of 600k both 100k above and 100k below, you get a list of Zusi, Besler, Dwyer, BWP, Kljestan, Collin, Shea, Adi, Valeri and Beckerman. Of those players, Zusi, Collin Shea and Beckerman are overpaid. The others are not, probably underpaid. Is Jones better than the average player of those ten? I don't think he is. Probably somewhere in the middle.

butters59 repped this.
  7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not even mentioning Benny, Nguyen, Juninho, Dax, Alonso, Nagbe, Chara etc. who are paid way below $500K.

8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Seems low to me. Does anyone have the revolutions record with and without Jones? If he leaves, who are they going to replace him With?

9. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. NCFan

NCFan Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    He is still a much better player than all of those guys if you can keep him on the field. At his age and given that he doesnt plan on retiring from the national team, they have to assume he will miss significant time again. Does MLS allow appearance based incentives in the contract? How does that impact the cap hit? Would it matter if he were a DP? He clearly doesn't want to leave the US but without free agency, the Revs have all the power. They can lowball him and block him from playing.
    Pride seems to be a big thing for him. I can't see him accepting below $1,000,000.

11. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You pay it

12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    679373248216342530 is not a valid tweet id

14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Ugghhhh

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Wow. It's the beginning of a new era for LA. Romney to start?

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think LA misses the playoffs next season if they don't bring in another top central defender. That defense is woeful without Omar.

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Good news is Jurgen just caught wind of an American defender with Mexican roots playing in Mexico. This may fast track him to the national team.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Shame Adu couldn't go to the Ghana Premier, but they have far better players than Vietnam.

Nguyen can be a star in his motherland, and help develop soccer there. No doubt he'll be getting offerings that put him among the top earners in that league. Heck, Errol Stevens, the Jamaican striker who never really panned out, is one of the top scorers there this season.

19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and deuteronomy repped this.
  20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juninho is off to Mexico (Tijuana) as well.

I think what we might be seeing is the salary cap/DP bubble burst. Because these guys see the gross salary discrepancies and better treatment on the field of guys they have more skills than at this point.

Supposedly L.A. Times sportswriter Kevin Baxter mentioned Lletget as a possible move as well, but in all likelihood he'd be off to Europe not Mexico w/ his passport and level of play. Just hopefully some team saw how he played when he was actually an attacker who didn't have to cater to the DP's, which was half the time at most. Also how he never got a shot w/ West Ham, and Allardyce boned him, as he did many other prospects. I've said before I think Serie A would be a good fit. They've been interested in American MLS'ers much worse than Lletget and who didn't have passports. Could look like geniuses stealing him on the cheap.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Good, Lletget to Europe means Klinsmann will finally give him a call.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and no. He in all likelihood wouldn't be available for Camp Cupcake then, the only entrance for MLS players. Then, I really doubt Jurgen would debut him in the WC qualifiers against the Guats in March, pretty much no matter how good he's doing for his prospective club. If he stayed in MLS, he might well get the call for Camp Cupcake, be integrated thru there, and be rotation-ready for the Guat games. Depends Jurgen's plans and usage for him in Camp Cupcake as is. This would be the absolute worst timing for a move from MLS. But yes, as a general rule, it would help immensely 10-11 months of the year.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He should give an interview where he says he prefers to play for Argentina. That might get him an automatic call-up.

Eleven Bravo and Suyuntuy repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Please don't personally attack him, like the last player. :thumbsup:

25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I'd never personally attack him. Not sure any player needs to be attacked. I hope it works out for him. I will say there aren't many places better to learn how to defend.