MLS Flavors of the week, 2013 style

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I forgot to add I'm hoping Okugo keeps improving, specifically on aerial issues.

2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    already looking forward to it, hopefully it leads to a pretty different crop for Camp Strudel 2013. Lots of great posts have already touched on where to be looking; DeLeon, Bruin, and Pontius especially. Also seeing if guys like Silva, Wenger, Kitchen, Jack Mac, Rowe, Okugo can keep up the solid body of work theyve built up.

George John, stand up and be counted, and stay healthy, we need more central defensive options. Same with Beitashour, stay healthy and he can be a contender for a backup right back position for the nats. Darn shame about the timing of his injury. Morrow hopefully works on his final 3rd play and adds the attacking dimension to his already good D.

Given the dearth at central back, and being the #1 overall pick, plenty of eyes will be on Farrell im sure. Hopefully Zavaleta can come in start and make an impact for the Sounders too, because while Seattle had a potent attack, the good teams knew they were shaky in the back and could be exploited with high pressure. Hopefully we can get some more performers of the DeLeon, Silva variety that exceeded expectations out of the gate and became focal points for their teams. I could see guys like Zardes and Carlos Alvarez especially being those types. Zardes seems like he could easily take hte #3 forward spot in LA, and could get some serious burn while Donovan works his way back to fitness.

Feilhaber if he has a solid season could be one of the final ins to the 23 if he performs the way many of us thinks he can.

Certainly.....lots to see this upcoming season, and lots to be excited about.

Tom Collingsworth and pwoblo repped this.
  3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Players in the core: Donovan
    MLS Players in the orbit of the 18: EJ, Zusi, Gonzalez, Beckerman
    MLS Players on the inner fringe: Besler, Wondolowski,
    MLS Players on the outer fringe: Adu, Feilhaber, Agudelo, Pontius, Davis, Evans, Bruin, Beitashour, Bunbury, Sapong, Hamid, Johnson, John
    MLS guys I wish JK would look at, but hasn't: DeMerit, DeLeon, Cooper, Silva.

I think anyone else is a real long shot. You never know, however.

pwoblo repped this.
  4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Was looking forward to watching Zardes' start to the season after that hilarious draft day interview boast and the you tube clip. Too bad about the foot injury.

Forwards and Wingers: Cooper, Bruin, Silva, Pontius, EJohnson, Sapong, Agudelo
    Mids: McCarty, Gil, MFarfan, DeLeon, Feilhaber
    CBs: John, Besler, Gonzalez, Okugo, Demerit
    FBs: Gaddis, SWilliams, Morrow, Beiitushur

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup, but not many of us had projected Brad Evans to be USMNT......anything, but here we are. Klinsy sees what he wants to see.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We used frickin' Alan Gordon in a World Cup Qualifier for Christ's sake.

Alan Gordon had been the definition of an average/mediocre player in MLS from 2004 thru 2011.
    He had a good streak in 2012 that got him a look in a camp, and got him a USMNT cap.

If Alan Gordon can get a callup..............many, many MLS players should be on the radar.

As I'm an FCD fan, I'd say this is a biiiiiiiiiiiig year for Zach Loyd. He's in the last year of his contract, and for whatever reason hasn't re-signed with the club. He could be angling for a move to Europe, and as such needs a "stand-out season."

Also fron an FCD point of view I think we can agree that if Cooper has another good year...........it'll be hard for Klinsmann to ignore him completely. Same can be said for George John and perhaps Matt Hedges.

And I'm about to say something that's going to make most people scratch their heads. Supposedly Chris Seitz has been looking fantastic in FCD pre-season. They brought in the Peruvian national team keeper, but it seems possible that Seitz is going to win the job. Just keep an eye out there...................

Dignan repped this.
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cooper really seems exactly the sort of forward Klinsmann would be looking for, id assume so. i think this will be a big season for him. bold prediction, Cooper i think will be the golden boot winner this year.

And yeah, even as a quakes fan i thought we had better than Gordon, but like ive pounded home before, that was an admission of desperation bringing him in and a scathing display of tactics we should be using. And if we are playing THAT way, then Gordon and Lenny would be high on the list for the team

8. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Gordon is one of the best target men/holdup players in the pool, I wouldnt mind seeing him again if he keeps up last yrs form

9. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great point. CDM is a spot that could be up for grabs soon if Williams doesn't improve for club and country. Edu has the inside road should JK decide to drop/bench DW, but if someone like Kitchen can step up, it'd be excellent.

Of course, this is all assuming that we stick with the current system of Bradley + Jones + DM. I personally think we need to get at least player with a more dedicated attacking mentality/creativity in the midfield trio to help link the MF to the forwards and to enable us to break down bunkers. If Feilhaber does well in KC (which I think he will), it's possible that he gets some looks too.

10. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Feel free to disregard this post as it deals w/ guys that are beyond fringe, but

Since we need wide-ish attacking players .....
    Chris Rolfe seems like he could fit into the wide-ish attacking mid player role that JK has.
    Zizzo how much worse than Gatt is he? Could he get to Gatt level?
    Magee. He seems like he could play that wide-ish attacking role, too. He's efficient with the ball. Can finish chances when they're provided.

11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Two completely different players. Zizzo has about half of Gatt's speed. Hard to tell on Gatt's skill since people haven't seen him play many full matches. Zizzo has flashes of brilliance but imo he fades in and out of form so much that its hard to rely on him.

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Alan Gordon was an extremely effective player for San Jose last season. There was nothing random in his getting called in. And did get the assist in an important Qualifier.

Gatt has elite speed, that is he blows by people and pulls away from people. In defending he simply runs the down the opposing dribbler. So yeah, he is in a different category than someone like Zizzo who simply has good pace. I've seen him in three matches now--two Europa League and the Canadian. He looks to have a ways to go in terms of being an effective player.

13. pwoblo

pwoblo Member

Mar 6, 2006
    IMHO, Gil doesn't look like he's going to pan out: not enough effectiveness and trickery going forward to make up for the lack of power/pace.

My hat's in for Kelyn Rowe (if he gets full time PT and has a big year) and [gulp] Lenhart. Imagine the gringo hate he could generate in the hex considering how much hate he gets in his own country.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o_O

15. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magee not USMNT quality IMO.

16. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you mean overall, or as a pure No. 10?

17. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The following arent so much USMNT related but more key things to look out for for some American players throughout MLS...
    Predictions:
    • I believe Benny Feilhaber will return to the Feilhaber we once knew with a vengeance. He may struggle with consistency but I see him being a much stronger player this season.
    • Dax McCarty will have another strong season.
    • Jose Villareal will (when available) break through and be in a more frequent squad rotation in LA.
    • I believe Justin Meram in Columbus will surprise people. Hopefully with some maturity he can raise his level this season. I see some pretty good potential in him.
    • Warren Creavalle and Kofi Sarkodie will simultaneously have good seasons and one may either be pushed to left back or be traded. I truly believe within the next two seasons these guys will be regarded as quality MLS fullbacks. It could be this season.
    • Amobi Okugo will continue developing towards one of the better centerbacks in the league. He's got a ways but I love what ive seen from him so far at centerback. This season its tough to say how much better he'll be but im high on his future.

18. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

19. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same with Lenhart IMO.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think the point of bringing Alan Gordon up is simply to say that nobody had him anywhere near the pool from 2004 to 2011. He was mediocrity personified. One really good season.............and you're in.

So essentially when somebody says "Player X blows and isn't USMNT material"..............I simply respond with "Alan Gordon." If Sal Zizzo improves and has a really good year, he could be a camp cucpake candidate. Just like half of the league. Why not?

21. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    This is all completely true.

In fact, Zizzo has the quality and raw talent to play for our national team. It really is his inconsistency that kills him and he'd simply always have to be at his best in order to get a look, but it could happen with the right pieces around him. I watched Portland a lot last year and felt like when he came off the bench he made a very noticeable impact for them on the right. He has the quality to do it no doubt, as do half the players in this league, its just the decision making/consistency that brings all of them down. Turn on the game any time and you'll see flashes of brilliance from all kinds of random players.

22. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Matt Besler
    2. Will Bruin
    3. Carlos DeLeon

No more JFT or MOF, plz . . .

24. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this might be Gil's year for RSL, but if this preseason is any indication, Sebastian Velasquez is the young midfielder to watch in Salt Lake this year. This kid is legit.

25. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It usually isn't.