MLS flavors of the week: 2012 Edition [MLS R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by EXALIFTIN, Mar 4, 2012.

1. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Antoine Hoppenot. Goal and an assist :p

2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you gotta start wondering if Nowak really was the issue in Phili, some of these unheralded players have been playing quite well.

im watching the quakes-rsl game, but i see the scoreline of MTL-HOU and it doesnt look pretty. hows cameron doing?

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondo scored again, and while Beita was good, Justin freakin Morrow was standing on his head all day against RSL. best performance ive ever seen from him. best left back in the league

4. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all fairness, RSL is a left side team, they almost never attack from the right, so form what I saw (2nd half only) they had only a few attacks from morrows side.

5. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, how is Macmath coming along? haven't watched him since his early season gaffes.

6. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A hockey assist of sorts for Adu on an excellent free kick. I think his consistency is starting to look just fine.

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shea looked pretty good tonight in his return. Went the full 90. Had a few opportunities and for the most part was the only threat for either team tonight.

I must say the talent around him looks to be getting worse. When he comes in off a 5+ week break and isn't fully fit, and immediately looks a couple levels above his teammates, it's pretty disappointing. He just has no one to combine with or play off. Anything he creates is pretty much completely from his own doing. It's just impossible for him to get involved in buildups as just about everytime he passes to a teammate, the pass is returned either a second or two too late, or his teammate just loses the ball after bumbling around with it.

Last year I thought he needed to move but this year I think even moreso. Maybe he can get to Holland or France this summer. Would be great. But right now he's surrounded by guys who can't think or play anywhere near as fast as him, and he's clearly at one speed while everyone else is a notch or two behind.

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh you missed a spectacular goal line clearance from him, it blew our minds :p

and landon's grit seems to be doing just fine.

9. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Not that I'm promoting McMath for the national team, but I find it awfully impressive when a young keeper can ride out a storm the way he did after those early mistakes. Clearly, very mentally strong.

juniorLA and Mr Martin repped this.
  10. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    I don't know that there's any potential for national team carryover, but the mentality in San Jose right now is incredible. So many of their guys are stepping up and making big plays. Prime talent or not, every team benefits from that.

11. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but he still flaps at crosses. Badly. There's an example of one in the game's highlight package.

Okugo to CD is a temporary move according to Hackworth, btw. There are stories about this sort of thing every day on the league site.

12. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Michael Farfan is a great player. I hope he can be a lil better at finishing though. If he does I want to see him at camp cupcake, so underrated. I see Bruin as a Boyd type player. The kid just has those natural finishing instincts. Very interesting prospects..

13. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope 1 of the Farfans makes it to Camp Cupcake.

14. 1oohptoyopu

1oohptoyopu Member

May 31, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I watched minutes 60-90 of Chivas vs FCD.

Shea looked inspired and looks to have a lil fire in him. Would love to hear thoughts of those who watched the full game
    IMO If he can consistently play so inspired (goals or no goals) for the rest of the year its clear that we haven't seen anything from him yet..just wait until Ferriera gets back on the field with him and Perez

Hedges is another player that smart money says will likely blossom into something great. Through my slightly blurry Galavision feed his profile, movements, mannerisms, jersey number, and most importantly his play mimics George John. Matter fact aside from a very slight hesitance on the ball and when organizing (..a rookie vibe if you will) It really took a close up to be 100% sure that it wasn't John out there. (John has missed last 2 games with concussion suffered early in a USOC game)

Althought thats not a compliment around these boards for some strange twilight zone esqe reason its something not lost on the illuminated ones...

Schellas Hyndman on Matt Hedges' play after the game:

I thought he played very well. The more we see him, the more we like him. He reminds me a lot of George John in his first year. He’s probably playing a little better right now than he was in the beginning, and that’s a lot of confidence on his part. He’s still going to make his mistakes, but when he makes them, we hope he continues to make them in practice and not in the games.

Mark me words. The name Hedges is one you will eventually come to recognize, meanwhile George John is a name you never should have forgotten/dismissed.

deuteronomy repped this.
  15. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello, iceberg. Nice to see you again.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  16. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'll say it, I like Alan Gordon's game. I know, I know .....

But, does anyone have goals-assists/minute stats for this year?

He's gotta displace Lenhart in the Quakes starting lineup soon.

deuteronomy repped this.
  17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was gonna wait for somene else to say it before i followed it home :p.

we got a good system going. Lenhart beats that central defense ass for 60 minutes to soften em up, and when theyre obviously battered and bruised we throw in a fresh Gordon to finish the job, its been exact science the past 5 or 6 games. Gordon has never, ever played this good. Gordo 2012 is a force to be reckoned with. Crazy that he almost retired last year.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  18. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is nothing to be ashamed about - his ability to link play as a center forward has always been outstanding. A poor man's Bobby Zamora.

deuteronomy repped this.
  19. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I did not know that. [/Dana Carvey doing Johnny Carson voice]

Well, good on him for being on the way to an outstanding year this year. Liked him in his days w/ the Gals, but he sure seems to have stepped it up. Maybe it's the Samson hair.

20. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Johnson...Beautiful left footed from just inside the 18...Wow

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Johnson just took on three defenders......and scored a pretty goal.

I still like Zizzo too, that guy needs to be starting somewhere, he came on slightly after the half after Al Hassan came out with a hammie injury. Would love to take him off their hands as a SJ fan and put him opposite of Chavez, would be ruthless speed.

22. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Magee got himself another goal last night. He is a poacher. He plays like Dempsey in the way that he pops up in the right spots and can finish. He is a pretty good LM.

23. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He has 1 goal per 60 minutes this season along with 1 assist and 1 penalty won (in 301 minutes). He has 5 goals on 11 shots and could easily have 6 if Freeman hadn't had the last touch on his near goal in the Colorado game.

His timely contributions have been amazing. His strength holding up the ball and winning balls in the air is also impressive. We might be able to use a player like him on the national team. We don't have any established hold-up striker besides maybe Altidore.

24. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pontius with a header at the 29 second mark.

25. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What ultimately decides who should get a call-up is AGE. Younger prospects have better chances than older guys for Camp Cupcake.