MLS flavors of the week: 2012 Edition [MLS R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by EXALIFTIN, Mar 4, 2012.

1. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This wasn't the issue at all. Nicol wasted money like no other. He was terrible at bringing in internationals.

The lack of scouting budget hurt, but Heaps is working within a similar system and succeeding thus far. The notion that Nicol was a great coach and Kraft "held him back" is misguided. Nicol was an average coach. Kraft certainly isn't the best owner in the world, but that's not what held Nicol back.

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    what international who had 2 legs and could walk did they ever bring in? You can buy more expensive internationals at the local 7/11. I do not want to defend Nicol, but go over to the Revs page and post a question as to what the fans think of Kraft as an owner.

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs success was built on the back of several epic drafts. They picked up Steve Ralston in the allocation draft in 2002. They also selected Taylor Twellman (2002), Shalrie Joseph (2002), Pat Noonan (2003), Clint Dempsey (2004), Andy Dorman (2004), Michael Parkhurst (2005), James Riley (2005), and Jeff Larentowicz (2005).

It was the best drafting run in MLS history....and it was unsustainable. Even if you are good, nobody is that good consistently. Nowadays, with 19 teams in the league instead of 10-12, it's especially impossible to unearth that many good players in the draft.

Nicol followed this up with first-round picks like Leandro de Oliveira (2006), Amaechi Igwe (2007), Rob Valentino (2008), Ryan Maxwell (2009), and Zack Schilawski (2010). De Oliveira and Maxwell never even signed, Valentino never made an appearance, and Igwe and Schilawski washed out of the league.

Not coincidentally, when the mid-2000s core moved on, there was no talent to replace them.

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled MLS Flavors Of The Week programming.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Doesnt look like anyone new in mls will break into the 23 for Sept qualies. Gooch & Parkhurst may be on the bubble, but Ream & Lichaj would seem to be their likely replacements. And someone will have to come out so Danny Williams can be added.

5. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be so sure. There are a couple months for MLS players to impress. I hope Klinsmann brings some new guys into camp against Mexico. He could test them out ala Boyd against Italy. I hope some MLS wingers step up (Shea, Pontius, Deleon, etc) since we're lacking there

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  6. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'd like to see that too. But, who get's dropped from the 23? I guess we had one too many forwards, so Wondo or Boyd could be dropped. And, Parkhurst & Castillo could be dropped. Maybe between those 3, Klinsman could find a way to get a more attack minded mid and/or a winger. But, for the winger, Beasley & Gatt ought to offer stiff competition.

But, I'd love to see the guys you mentioned, along w/ Feilhaber, Nguyen, & Zusi, looked at.

7. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the most recent USNT games, alot of people have on their minds what names Jurgen has not looked at & perhaps that they could be the answer. Before MLS starts back up in full swing this weekend, I have one question. Who are your top 5 MLS players that you think could make a positive difference for the US within the next 2 years? Obviously Cameron & Zusi can but theyve been looked at, I'm talkin players Jurgen hasnt taken extensive looks at. Mine: 1. Davis 2. Adu 3. Gonzalez 4. Shea 5. John
    Agudelo & Beitashour also fair shouts..

8. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Who needs internationals when you have Tony Frias III?

9. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I would argue that he's looked plenty at Shea, and maybe Gonzo considering they reside in the same town.

I'd like to see Benny, Davis, Pontius, Nguyen, Meyers, and maybe one of the SJ newcomers.

Any chance we can get Alonso his citizenship soon :)

FloridaFC2MLS repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    1. Adu - already has an excellent record at Senior level.
    2. Kenny Cooper - likewise has an excellent record at Senior level.
    3. Chance Myers - with Chandler out of the picture one more right back needs a look in.
    4. Seth Sinovic - the top American left back in the league over the past couple of years
    5. George John - hasn't yet gotten his chance under Klinsmann but can probably wait until the move abroad.

11. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont know what in the world I was thinking with Shea, lol. Or for Agudelo for that matter... Facepalm
    Davis, Adu, Gonzo, John, Beitashour

Others:
    Nguyen & Pontius

12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    regular season back in full swing, im keeping tabs on FCD-Dynamo, and Bruin just scored. I really like what that kid lays down. He absolutely torched Hedges on that thing. He and Meram have been extremely impressive so far this season. And whoever that young kid is playing left mid right now for FCD's got skillz that killz, Shea is gonna have to work to earn that spot back.

Also pleased to see looking up and down rosters the number of superdraft pick rookies playing today, you see Kevan George, Raymon Gaddis, Andy Rose all playing and doing well in the league, and those are just the second round picks. I like all three of those guys, its just a shame aside from Gaddis we are stacked at DM so they probably wont get looks.

13. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS website has Okugo starting at CB today vs DC united

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and holy hell....kevin hartman, that dudes gotta be 215-220 right now. But hey so long as you can play i guess thats cool i guess he can rock that tire.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    announcers say stoke city, everton, and schalke scouts are in attendance watching Cameron

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  16. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu is playing well.

17. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy with a few nice passes, and a few crappy crosses in the last 20 minutes

18. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sheanon Williams is pure class. Smart, hard working, good technique and vision... I reeeeeeallly want to see him with the nats.

derek750 repped this.
  19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Lee Nguyen has technical ability way beyond most MLS players, Yanks or others.

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCD has been the better team this half and they just found the net. no US prospects though, all overseas guys that are creating the damage. Giving Cameron and Boswell a tough time.

Looks like Pontius scored again in that match, and Montreal got nasty on Seattle.....Andrew Wenger has scored another. hes starting to establish himself.

21. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Important goal scorers tonight for US Fans...
    1) Pontius (1G)
    2) Will Bruin (1G)
    3) Andrew Wenger (1G)
    4) CJ Sapong (1G)
    5) .... Eddie Johnson (1G)

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  22. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron has done a good job with one on one defending tonight, but he and Boswell have not worked well together which is unusual.

23. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know much about Wenger but I hear great things about him, a lot of people say his future is at CB, but he's scoring goals, sounds a lot like Brek Shea to me lol. Anyone who watches him play, what is his upside?

24. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know how We ger looked outside of the goal? Was his hold up play good?

He looks like he knows how to turn and finish well enough.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its just unfair that SKC have Sapong, Bunbury, Saad, and Dwyer all on their roster. so stacked at forward.