MLS flavors of the week: 2011 Edition Part II [MLS R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by giffenbone, Aug 7, 2011.

1. SecludedMonkey

SecludedMonkey New Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I'm been hearing that his off-the-ball movement is poor. Doesn't make good enough runs.

2. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they're about the same in terms of IQ. Bunbury has a better touch and is more explosive, though, while EJ is a much, much much much better header of the ball.

He's pretty bad. Right now his only way to score is to run onto a throughball.

3. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One trick pony?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBWBoZKs8J0"]Teal Bunbury - Pure Striker - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks 723.

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, yeah. One-trick pony.

He's played 51 games, nearly 3000 professional minutes, and has 12 goals.

Of those 12:

• He's never scored off a cross
    • He's never scored off a set-piece
    • He's never scored off a 1v1 move
    • He's scored once from outside the 18
    • He's scored twice on a loose ball in front of net

After nearly two years as a professional striker, he's got a grand total of 3 goals that weren't from running onto a through ball.

He's a one-trick pony. The US (Canadian?) Dom Oduro.

5. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I thought I saw a 1 v 1 move in the video.

6. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Who cares, if you list a bunch of stats no one has the time or willingness to look up, you win.

7. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bunbury is not very good at headers. His off the ball movement can be very good, though.

I think he is a much better player than EJ. No soccer IQ? Did you see him play with the national team where he was setting Agudelo up for shots on goal?

I'm surprised someone would compare him to EJ. Shocked kind of.

8. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8O15HIOMQs"]Teal Bunbury: Sporting Kansas City | More than a soccer player; a role model - YouTube[/ame]

• Goal 1: Throughball where he gets behind a static Chivas USA defense
    • Goal 2: Throughball where he gets behind a static Houston defense
    • Goal 3: Throughball where he gets behind a static Columbus defense
    • Goal 4: Misplayed defensive clearance that puts him behind the TFC defense - he headed it over the onrushing keeper, his only headed goal as a pro
    • Goal 5: Throughball where he gets behind a static Chicago defense
    • Goal 6: Misplayed backpass that puts him behind a static Chicago defense
    • Goal 7: Wonderful long-range curler to the far post vs. Vancouver
    • Goal 8: Clever throughball and cut-back vs. Vancouver
    • Goal 9: Slams home a loose ball against New England
    • Goal 10: Slams home a rebound against RSL
    • Goal 11: Throughball where he gets behind a static Houston defense
    • Goal 12: Throughball where he gets behind a static Houston defense

Of his 12 goals, only two have come against defenses that aren't shit (Columbus last year and RSL this year). Houston has the potential to not be shit, but only if Geoff Cameron plays in back - as he is now, though as he wasn't when Bunbury got a brace a few weeks back.

I'm not saying the kid has no future or is useless at the MLS level, but he's still very much a one-trick pony. Hopefully he can add hold-up play, clever movement in the final third and some heading ability in time - he certainly has the physical tools to do so.

2 people repped this.
  9. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gabe Farfan is very interesting. That kid has some quality.

10. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is an MLS thread, but forgive me for mentioning the Mexican league. I watched Pueblo last night and, though he had a quite first half, Beasley came alive in the second half. I don't read Spanish, but I think he was named the man of the match. He looked really good.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Cameron has now been moved back with Houston. If Klinsmann is looking for a ball playing center, Cameron is the best in the league.

12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not Latin-American, so I don't see how that could be the case. That's only because Orozco transferred to the Mexican league with slick back-line passers more on his level.

1 person likes this.
  13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron only will have a few CB appearances this season...not enough to get a call up.

14. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you explain what you mean by this post?

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Maybe to camp cupcake..............

A camp cupcake group of Gonzalez, John, Ream, and Cameron would be quite a competition. That's what you need. Guys competing for spots, and pushing each other to get better.

16. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    will there be a camp cupcake? ("camp strudel"?). Klinsi's comments that the top guys are expected to play in every friendly doesn't seem to leave room for a Camp Strudel.

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Agreed. I'm very intrigued.

I'd have zero objections to Gabe getting a look in one of the friendlies next month.

18. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does when the January camp doesn't fall on Fifa dates. JK has said he had major issues about the length of time that MLS is off for its offseason. He said he will try to set up training periods for prospects of the National teams with clubs that are in season. He also said that he wanted those players back for the January camp.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/08/30/klinsmann-outlines-plan-help-mlsers-us-picture

19. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That's a great article. But, I don't see where it says that we'll have a "camp strudel." He says there will be a camp in Jan. I'm assuming that there are open dates in Jan. I don't see anything in there that implies that there will be a "camp cupcake" style camp - aside from the authors use of the phrase "the traditional January camp." And, that phrase came from the author, not Klinsman. If there is, great. I'm all for Camp Strudel. But, it conflicts w/ what Klinsman has said in the past.

Also, I think it's awesome that he's trying to arrange for MLS guys to go overseas & train during the offseason. I suggested last year that a guy like McInerny could really benefit from this type of thing. Even if it's w/ lower division clubs. I mean, 6 weeks w/ a League One club would be better than doing nothing. Charlton is League One these days, right? They've got to have a good set up. Send him to Charlton for 6 weeks (or longer, since he isn't a Camp Strudel prospect yet). Any promising young American in MLS who, for some reason doesn't fit into the Olympic picture, get them a loan or training gig.

Heck, even the older guys that are on the fringe. Chad Marshall, Borchers, Cooper, see if you can get a loan for them. At whatever level can be arranged. Where's the harm?

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was being sarcastic. Klinsmann thought Orozco, as an MFL central defender, would help him build up from the back, even though during his loan to MLS he was a mediocre passer and played pretty poorly in general.

21. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside of Africa there are no FIFA dates in January.
    http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/calendar/events.html

I think all this points to Camp as usual in Jan.

22. pwoblo

pwoblo Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seems like everyone has forgotten about mike magee, because he's been in the league so long. However he's only 25 or 26. He's putting together one of the best seasons of the attack-minded US players. From the US attacking pool Magee, Shea and Wondo have looked awesome this season (no need to mention donovan).

Yeah and Gonzalez is long overdue for callups.

23. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on. Magee is a part-time starter for a reason. He's an iffy finisher with below-average athleticism, zero one-vs-one ability and no defensive instincts.

Dude's a good back-up in MLS. He's nowhere near the quality needed for international play.

24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Nah. Strudel is Austrian.

Perhaps a more literal and generic translation, like "Camp Kinderkuchen"?

25. liamprather

liamprather Member

May 14, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Agreed Magee has been a great super sub/fill gap type player but doesnt have the goods for the international stage.

I'd like to see Hamid, Johnson, and Rimando (for experience reasons) at GK
    D-Gonzo, John (though he may be leaving this winter break) Marshall, Ream, Franklin, Williams and Z. Loyd.

M-Shea (again might be gone this winter), Salinas, Sizzo, Duka, Fielhaber, Adu, Beckerman, Larentowitz, Davis,,

F-Agudelo, Bunbury, Bruin, Mwanga (if he had his gc) Sapong

I think its too early for the following guys but there definitley ones to keep an eye on; Neagle and Fucito and Seatle, Gil at RSL, Salgado at Vancouver