MLS flavors of the week: 2011 Edition Part II [MLS R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by giffenbone, Aug 7, 2011.

1. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Continued from here due to length of the previous thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1685226

with the last few posts of that thread copied to continue discussion...

2. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have noticed Ream plays terribly when Marquez is his partner in the center. But plays well with Mendes and Keel as his partner.

1 person likes this.
  3. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    There's a new Castrol MLS listing. Here (setting aside Donovan) is the computer's recommended first team:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Wondolowski, Braun, Shea, Cameron, LaBrocca, Gaven, Moor, John, Borchers, Myers, Kennedy[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Here's its second team:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Lenhart, Bruin, Magee, Beckerman, Zemansky, Grabavoy, Loyd, Gonzalez, Ihemelu, S. Williams, Rimando[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

After Moor and Loyd at Left Back come Beltran and Balchan. Zemansky hasn't played much at CM. If he doesn't count, then Daniel Hernandez.

1 person likes this.
  4. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    No surprise Gonzalez fell from the #1 defender spot considering his injury. Quite a few surprises there though.

5. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    I've only seen two Dynamo games this year and the All Star game, but what I have seen of Cameron is pretty impressive. Seems a very dynamic player with composure and confidence.

6. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The surprise to me is Moor is listed as a left back. Otherwise, I agree with his inclusion as one of the league's top defenders. He has quietly put together a second consecutive solid season.

Another sleeper is Sal Zizzo. He is coming into form and confidence. Every game he takes on players a little more. He is quick and fast and capable of beating players. I give him a 50/50 chance. He could fizzle, or he could emerge as a candidate. One I am keeping an eye on.

7. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    That's my doing, and not Castrol's, which just lists players as Forward, Mid, Defender, and Goalkeeper. Still, that is where Moor played seven of the last eight matches.

Loyd actually hasn't played left back since May, though I expect he'll play there Wednesday. Beltran alternates between left and right back, and Balchan played left back up through May, but lately he's been playing CM.

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Nice to see a left back like Chance Myers rise to 5 on the Castrol. KC has been on fire since getting to play at home. Right back Sheannon Williams at 21. Nice young talent to work with.

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I wanna see CJ Sapang given a shot. He's better than Bunbury. IMO he's also more talented than any of the forwards talked about thus far. At this point, I really like the young talent coming out of MLS.

---------------------------Hamid-----------------------------
    --------------John--------------------Gonzo------------------
    ----Seanin Williams-------------------------------Zach Loyd---
    ------------------------Geoff Cameron------------------------
    ----------Pontius---------------------------------Shea-------
    --------------------------Gil---------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------Agudelo------------Sapong---------------------

BENCH
    Tim Ream
    Teal Bunbury
    Chance Meyers
    Matt Besler
    Brad Davis
    Kyle Beckerman
    Eddie Gaven
    Nat Borchers
    Wondolowski

That's a team that could make a final of a Gold Cup, I think.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    not enough experience.

11. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nat Borchers is making a case, he looks to be more refined than Ream after the win vs NY. But obviously he doesn't have nearly as high as a ceiling Ream, as being 29 but he should get some looks. I'm impressed with his passing, and his ball winning in the penalty box.

12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    We need a few of these guys to do the Dempsey/Holden: get to Europe and exceed expectations. Actually, I kind of feel like the pool needs replenishing as much as it has in the Modern Era (it would be interesting to see what we had in 95 vs what we have now. We've got more depth than ever. But, as far as the 1st 11, do we have more need of guys emerging than we did then?

I mean, we might need a whole new back line - Can Cherundolo, Boca, Goodson, Gooch hang on until 2014? And we need forwards. And our Outside mids will be old-ish.

13. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always liked Borchers, and he's not too old for a defender. He's as good as Goodsen, IMO, but if they are equals, then Goodsen has the interational experience advantage.

14. El Llama

El Llama Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Llamaverse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing Nat does better that most CB's is his consistency. He's not flashy, occasionally makes the "big save", but he is utter consistent at his positioning, when to commit forward, when not too. You can set a clock by the guy he's that consistent. This is something the Nats needs moreso than anything else on our fractured backline. Additionally he's a good team player, humble, and teachable. Some qualities that are necessary in building a team to withstand the pressures of a WC. RSL fans have been wondering when he pissed in Bradley's cheerios that caused him never to get a fair shake.

15. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Borchers has gotten looks before, he just wasn't as consistent as he is now. Bocanegra is only a year older, and plays in Europe... he wasn't ever going to be displaced. Onyewu is so dominant in the air, and he plays in Europe.

But Onyewu's form is now questionable, and Bocanegra while still at it... isn't a spring chicken nor is he as good with his feet as Ream or Borchers.

16. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have several young defenders in Europe right now, I wouldn't worry about that position.

-Zak Whitbread (27) will be plying in the EPL this season
    -Alfredo Morales (21) and John Anthony Brooks (18) are being integrated into the Hertha BSC first team
    -Brad Rusin (24) is a talented defender at HB Kove
    -Josh Gatt is on fire at Molde
    -We saw the potential Lichaj had this summer at the Gold Cup
    -Chandler is an absolute stud for Nuremberg, and has looked great for the USMNT

EDIT: And of course there's all the young guys in MLS

Ream, Gonzalez, John, Soares (who I haven't seen mentioned yet here)

17. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not think Outside back is Gatt's best position. The Hertha duo, is too young to be startes in 2014. Zak could be a good one, but will be 30 in 2014 and he has a problem with injuries. So we'll see.

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quantity does not mean quality, unfortunately. Right now, forwards are our biggest issue but by 2014 I am convinced that our defense will be the biggest concern. Right back is looking good, but there are serious question marks about the other positions.

I think guys like Whitbread, Ream, Gonzalez, John, et al could potentially help the NT, but are any of them really going to turn out to be a more useful player than Carlos Bocanegra? The odds are quite long, I think. Now, Bocanegra-level players are nothing to be sneezed at, but I'm not optimistic that any of these guys will emerge as a CB that is a notch in quality above Carlos.

Some of the other guys you listed -- Gatt is only an emergency right back. That's not a huge problem because I think RB will be well covered by others. Brad Rusin...well, he's gotten a lot of pub for his goal, but as far as his actual defending goes, he is completely unproven above the NASL level. Morales is a utility guy who has been playing central midfield more than anything else.

Brooks is the guy who really could be the CB we are looking for. It's still awfully early, but there are a lot of reasons to really like the direction he's heading.

19. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Defense is THE area of concern. We'll see how the youngsters develop.

20. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Seattle vs. Chivas in the early match today - the key man to watch is Nick LaBrocca. I wonder if he's the type of outside the box callup that Klinsmann could be thinking about for September?

21. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    I hope not. LaBrocca is an above average MLS player, but not international quality.

22. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Well 10 days ago I would not have ever predicted that Michael Orozco, Kyle Beckerman, Edgar Castillo or Robbie Rogers would make significant contributions against Mexico.

23. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Orozco was the only surprise out of that group. And while he did fairly well, i'm still not sold. Castillo made a significant contribution? I suppose if you're Mexico he did. Rogers has always had the talent. Beckerman has been solid for the USMNT in the past.

Sure, Labrocca could surprise us, but I watched pretty much every game of his with the Rapids and he just doesn't have int'l quality.

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i heard freddy adu is starting today. a few people may be watching that

and he didnt do much of anything today. first game with new team though.

Shea looked good again

25. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Pontius with two goals tonight.

I've said it before, but we really need to take a look at this guy. He has so many tools.