MLS Final: Support the QUAKES

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by chowhog99, Nov 8, 2004.

1. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    who is going to the MLS final? I heard a group was going and bringing our blue QUAKES flag to support our team.

BTW: MLS best goal of the year hasn't been announced yet. so vote for DeRo ....

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/mls/awards/2004/sierra/

2. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, I hate to break it to you but... our team isn't going to be in the final. So why bring the BAQF?

I'm teaching a Perl class the day before so I probably couldn't go anyway.

3. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Because HDC is the Deathstar.

Home of AEG soccer.

And AEG needs a reminder of our existence.

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, making sweaters, eh? Knit one, perl two......

5. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our supporters brought the DC United banner to your final, so why shouldn't you bring yours to ours?

6. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cuz it's a pain in the ass to put on a plane. :)
    There will be a group of SJ supporters there, but the flag's staying home.
    Guy

7. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    It would be a good idea to bring it. Do you have any numbing suppositories?

8. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, that's just wrong.
    Funny as f****** hell, but wrong.

9. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Join us in section 127 to cheer for the Wizards to keep the Cup in the West. We're bringing one big flag and one big banner. Now I just have to figure out how my clothes are going to get to LA. :)

10. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues

Come On Gayle. Give it the QUAKES banner to someone who is DRIVING in the car. Then we can shove it up AEG @#$@#. We can have more QUAKES fans showing their colors than Galaxy fans.

If anyone is going...where are QUAKES fans sitting? I heard some guy named BERNAL is coordinating everything via Club Quake. For some reason I am not getting emails. Can somebody post theirs if they got any info on the MLS final game and where all the QUAKE fans are sitting

11. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

Grease balloon w/ Anbesol? Just a suggestion.

12. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but I'm with billward on this one.

Bringing a flag that covers a partial section of folks for a team that's not even playing is not only tacky (it's major attention whoring), but would be offensive to the fans of KC and DC.

Bringing a banner (I'm sure the Club Quake banner will be there), or signs, or wearing gear, however, would be fine. In fact, I'd say "Save the Quakes" or "join SSV" signs would be awesome.

There's a thread by galaxycrazy giving the details about the tickets. Pat Bernal managed the trip down and is planning on getting tickets in KC's section 127. I think it's too late to sign up for the hotel group rate (I'm afraid I don't have the info with me). The deadline was Sunday, IIRC.

I was told by one of KC's main supporters that they appreciate all the help they could get.

13. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    a> I predict empty seat sections.

b> "Save the Quakes" = "Operation Major Attention Whoring" at this point.

c> DC fans brought their flag last year.

d> KC fans would probably be happy to see a livelier, less empty stadium.

14. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a> I agree
    b> agreed
    c> no, they brought a banner
    d> agreed, but our flag wouldn't help them do that, nor would it be appreciated.

Nope, still not gonna do it. No amount of J-lube will get me to change my mind.

Besides it's a moot point. Last year, the flag had to brought in by Quakes staff. The HDC ain't gonna let anyone bring something like that without prior permission. It took the Fire FO to get permission just to allow freakin' drumsticks for the game.

15. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    You heard it first here folks, Battlefield Earth is the greatest movie ever made!

16. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's DC and KC's moment. They should have every right and opportunity to bring their large flags and banners, and their fans have every right to revel in the moment.

The BAQF should stay home for that reason--we're not in the final this year. Anything smaller, like the "Keep Us in San Jose" banner, or anything related to SSV, would be a better bet, especially since we need to have that voice heard, though in a subtle manner. Most of the fans will be wearing the colors of the other 7 teams, and this would be the best way for the people to hear about San Jose's plight. Especially in the largest medium in regards to US Soccer, those messages are much more important than having the BAQF overshadow the Mystics, Screaming Eagles, Barra Barra, et al.

Just the "Keep Us in San Jose" banner (or anything related to SSV) shown on the sidelines during the game will be a major accomplishment and won't detract from the game being contested between KC and DC nor their supporters. Cheers!

17. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
    BAQF???
    what is that?
    Big ASS Quakes Flag?

Am I the lucky contest winner??

18. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right! Can't figure out what you've won, except maybe a beer from the magic cooler next season.

Showing it off when our team is in the game is one thing--for this weekend, well, it's gauche. Part of the unwritten protocol that goes one with fans/teams... any team other than DC or KC is relegated to the smaller scale...

19. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    I guess you guys are feeling less desperate than I am. Can't help but take your cue.

20. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wonder if someone in the front office would be willing to help. Seriously.

edit: I mean with a "save the quakes" or "SSV" banner

21. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Maybe i'm all by myself on this but i'm not travelling to watch any MLS match that isn't the Quake's.....I may watch it on TV if i'm not busy but i'm still sick from the 3-0 loss in KC and I hope all other teams drop dead. I wouldn't go if it were at Spartan and I most certainly wouldn't show my colors at an MLS Cup that my team wasn't in. KC and DC earned that right, let them have their day. I cannot root for any other team other than my own. If it is international, i'd root for any MLS team(yes, even the Galaxy) over any foreign but i'm not going to attend the match. USA soccer is a no-brainer and I root for USA players in other countries to excel but no way am I attending an MLS Cup that the Quakes aren't playing in. I love my team more than I love the game itself!

22. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sorry to disagree with you on this one. I would NEVER, EVER root for any other MLS team in any international competition. Enemy of my enemy is my friend. The ONLY team that represents all of us is the US national team. As far as to the original post, those Quakes fans that do go to the games should wear Earthquake Blue and and bring as many flags in support of the Quakes as possible. Make the stadium ours even though we're not playing. Just another way to show the rest of the country to show the rest of the country who is the KING in California ...

23. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    [​IMG]

24. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we got rid of him. Didn't I see him on the news this morning arriving at the airport in Japan? I thought they might keep him.

25. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Root is a strong word.....it would be more like hoping the result was in favor of MLS, not the (any MLS team name, besides the Quakes, here)....but if you are indicating that an EPL or MFL team is less of an enemy than say the (MLS team name here).....in a world where MLS struggles for respect, any MLS victory over any foreign club team is a plus in my book.....am I gonna cheer for the Ruiz' and Adu's when the score.....no....will I take pride in the fact that MLS is getting stronger? Of course.