MLS Expansion announced (Crew forum)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kryptonite, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/socce...833.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-soccer-gal

Hopefully, that's new investors AEG is selling to, and not the league.

I know someone will say it's not official, don't plan the trip yet, but what the hell...

Cleveland will make a damn good rivalry. And it's something we could certainly do without needing hotel rooms. If it's a early game Soccer Saturday, 4 PM, game done by 6 PM and be back in time for MLS Wrap. Of course, that'll all be different in 2005, but WTF?

And Brad Friedel once said that the only MLS team he'd play for is Columbus...

2. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Gotta love the man.

As for the rivalry, I'm excited. It'll give me a chance to visit home and watch us play. The drive although boring wouldn't be bad at all. Did it many times before I started school. Still a little worried about Wolstein. My dad being a old Force fan I was raised w/ that. Still waiting for official word from the league though.

3. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive me for posting on your Forum. This is a post from the LA boards. It basically confirms what the paper said, as well as giving some more info.

4. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Just think, another team in Cleveland called the Clowns.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They’re going to create a 24/7 soccer channel with MLS and MLF.

I don't know if this is sarcasm or what.

Real Madrid will tour the US next year.

Who?? Who's Real? ;)

HDC will host some World Cup Qualifiers, etc.

Against who? Canada? Or will Mexico be playing quallies in the USA? There is no freakin' way USA will have any home-field against hispanic teams in LA.

They've "bought" the Copa Libradores qualifying round (?)

Probably some TV thing. This may go good with their "soccer channel", although i'm sure there's some rights issues.

Could this "soccer channel" also potentially pick up Euro and Champion's League games to fill the winter void?

I like that sh!t with the horns though. We could (and probably should, IMO) limit our horns to the south end.

6. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally a Fire fan that isn't a Troll.

Thanks for the info Greddy.

7. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    So this will be in place for next season?

I'd welcome a Cleveland rivalry with open arms. I just hope that they can support it. I'm not very familiar with the scene up there. I know they have decent youth leagues up there but that's about all I know.

8. mclip_66

mclip_66 Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Cleveland is a good soccer town

Cleveland has done a fine job of supporting its indoor soccer team and gets good coverage in the print media.

I do worry about having two teams so close to each other. I live in Cincy and would love to have a team here but never thought they would put 2 in OH. Though I think the Cleveland team will be better supported than any team in Cincy ever would be.

I have family in Cleveland so I will definately stop try to catch a game up there as well as the few I catch in Columbus every year.

9. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Re: Cleveland is a good soccer town

What?!? They get almost no soccer coverage there.

10. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    If (when?) Cleveland gets a team, I hope MLS doesn't schedule their home opener on ABC against Columbus. A franchise debut is a slam dunk, so they should schedule that against a West Coast team whose fans are less likely to travel that far. Leave the Columbus matches for later so as to better capitalize on the cities' closeness.

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. They'll probably end up playing a few games in Browns Stadium, and even if that's downsized, they could still open more seats.

Have their first few games against west coast teams, then bring Columbus up more towards the summer. (end of June, or July.)

12. swittler

swittler Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Columbus
    fvck june or july that is wedding season. too many damn weddings next summer

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    next? this is 2005 i'm talking about. next summer is 2004.