MLS Draft KC Wizards thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Dec 10, 2009.

1. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or he wasn't at Bradenton, and was just taking AP classes or something...(As I second-guess him being a residency player)

2. KC Wizzle

KC Wizzle Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our draft needs according to Jeff Carlisle's draft piece at ESPN...

3. KC Wizzle

KC Wizzle Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New update on Kentucky goalkeeper Dan Williams, from his Facebook status yesterday...

4. KC Wizzle

KC Wizzle Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MetroFanatic predicts us picking Tony Tchani at #4.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While his logic is good, he doesn't make mention of our new d-mid that we're supposed to be signing, which would likely change his mind a little bit. I've said it before, but I agree with Carlisle, we need to improve our offense first.

6. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I'd take Tchani over any forward if he's the best player available. I don't think with such a limited selection of talent you can do anything else.

I like his size and what I saw of him this year. We can always use more help in midfield, even if we still need a forward. Even if the new guy is the answer, we'll need midfield help some day. I didn't get to see as much combine tape this year, but all reports are that he dominated there.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple final media mock drafts.

Soccer America has us grabbing Opara, who wouldn't be available until May as he's finishing school (although they say we'd take him with an eye to trade him).
    http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=36278

Ives and MLSDraft both have us grabbing Bunbury.
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=724268&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901
    http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/21&mock=11
    And MLSDraft has us grabbing Perk in the second round.

8. CTMo

CTMo Member

Jul 7, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Ives:

"The trade talk I’ve heard has involved KC and New York in a potential swap of the 2 and 4 picks with a player or cash being involved. The sense I get is that the Wizards will push for a deal to try and get Tchani, but if that doesn’t work the Wizards will take Bunbury."

Any idea of who the player involved would be?

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very interesting trade talk, no clue on the players, but we have talked about cleaning house all offseason.

10. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get both excited and nervous when I hear talk like this, especially from a normally reliable source like Ives.

11. kfb5926

kfb5926 Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Prairie Village, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, they could get neither. Particularly after Opara's announcement.

What would we do if Mwanga, Bunbury and Tchani are all three off the board?

12. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are other good GA players available...we should be able to get a good player at #4. Personally, I am more concerned about what they are willing to give up to move up two spots.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There seem to be a concensus top 5 picks in the draft, Mwange, Bunbury, Tchani, Opara, and Bone, one of them will fall to us. And while Opara would be a good grab at 4 if available, how likely are we to grab him? We currently have 3 central defenders on the roster, and another coming in from Colombia. If he was available there, I'd almost say trade down, and get more.

14. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be absolutely great, outlets are saying this guy is the the complete package and compare him to Shalrie Joseph, who is probably the MLS player I would pick first if I were starting a team. Fingers crossed for Tchani as I am not a fan of any of our center mid options, to get a true box to box midfielder that is MLS ready from day 1 would be ideal. Tchani would make it possible to have a bit more flexability with who you can pair him with in the central midfield as well. DO IT WIZARDS, DO IT

Including that unnamed Columbian (?), can we assume we currently have 3 CBs capable of starting in the MLS (thats not counting Hohlbien who isnt great but can get the job done)? I wonder if they would move one of the CB's if this deal were to go down to get Tchani/

15. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    if we get this guy goodbye Jewsbury

16. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was actually also thinking Hohlbein as a possibility if a player was included in a trade.

Jack of all trades? Not necessarily.....we still don't have a solid RB yet. ;)

17. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well i think he got a new contract before last season so it could be him to move if this happened, but he could also be paired with him as Jewbury is more a destoryer than anything and Tchani is described as a box to box but was more an attacking prospect coming into the combine. I also would not be suprized to see Jewsbury moved to right back.

Rumors at this point, but this particular rumor has me pumped

18. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Tchani's as complete a midfielder as everyone's saying, he could slide in anywhere centrally. Almost get the impression he's similar to Michael Bradley in that way.

Put him in front and/or slightly to the side of the d-mid. A 6'4" guy, dangerous on set pieces, who can pass and tackle? Bring him in, we'll play him somewhere and let him link up with Claudio and Josh and Davy. Then grab Hoxie in the 2nd round.

20. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is a Tchani an adios to Espinosa if we get him? Face it, we are not going to boot out Arnaud or Lopez, and we have the new destroyer ..... unless we start playing five across the middle where is Espinosa in this picture? He isn't a ball winner ....

21. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Espinoza would be a left mid. Tchani, Jewsbury, and our new D-mid, sounds like the making of a 4-3-3. Lopez/Espinoza on the left Kamara in the middle and Arnaud on the right. Ok, I am starting to see it. All we would need is two outside backs that can get forward. Myers may be that answer on the right, but who on the left? Besler ain't it. Van Den Bergh is on the trading block.......

22. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...Harrington?

23. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    After 3 years not too sure. Great rookie season. Locked down the spot in year 2. year 3 played a full third of the minutes less. Still saw the stupid mistakes on the outside that lead to too many chances, some goals too. Though looking back I thought it was an improvement but maybe he had less chances to screw up. A full season after the sophmore slump and it is 50/50 on whether he is going to be a long term solution.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also spent the majority of last year not playing left back. He lost his starting spot to Besler due to injury and then Onalfo tried throwing him everywhere in the midfield. His lack of development is one of the main things I'm pissed at Onalfo about.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lopez isn't under contract yet for next season, so it's hard to say.