MLS Cup, Supporters Shield, Canada & CCL

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MRschizoid21, Mar 13, 2011.

1. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Browsing through a similarly titles thread around here triggered a thought in my head.

Due to the fact that the league is on a big time Murphy's Law streak, what is the contingency plan when 2 of the Canadian franchises play for MLS Cup and the 3rd is the Supporters Shield winner (obviously ousted before then).

Is there one?

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it stands right now, if the USOC winner and the SS winner were both American teams, they would have automatic bids to the CCL. If those same 2 teams were to end up being the finalists in MLS Cup, the final 2 teams that would get US CCL spots would be the next 2 American teams by virtue of regular season record. So with that as a starting point, in your scenario it would be the American teams with the top 3 regular season records, exclusive of the USOC winner of course.

3. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If three Canadian teams 'earn' the three MLS-based CCL berths, they go to the next three best US teams in the MLS overall standings.

Anyone know what it might take for CONCACAF to accept making the three MLS bids US/Canadian eligible? My preference is for a team to get in if they've earned it, regardless of where they are (Cup winner, top two in regular season, USOC winner, Nutralite CC winner makes sense to me).

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 Different federations, so this is a no go.

5. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hm. Have any Welsh clubs in the English system qualified for European competitions? I don't recall it happening but if so, how was it/would it be handled? Given that MLS is the top division of two separate countries, it's a fair point to be made, no matter how futile making it to CONCACAF may be.

6. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but one came close (Cardiff?). The team made it to the FA Cup final, I believe, with a UEFA Cup/Europa League spot on the line for the winner. After some drama, it was decided that the Welsh team would be allowed to take the European spot if they won.

------RM

7. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if I'm reading you right, if Toronto wins MLS Cup, they still have to win the Nutrilite Championship to get their CCL berth?

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is "when" really the proper word to use when discussing events that have zero probability of ever happening?

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Welsh champions who played in the 2010-2011 UEFA Champions League qualifying rounds, The New Saints, have their stadium in England.

10. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Like I said:
    Remember last year's Eastern Conference Championship?
    Real Salt Lake Eastern Champions
    New York Red Bulls Western Champions?

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That drama is still ongoing. Should Cardiff get promoted to the Premiership this season they will not be accepted unless they leave the Football Association of Wales (FAW) officially to be governed by the FA (of England.) The main friction point is disciplinary matters. Right now the FAW reviews suspensions etc. for Welsh clubs in FA competitions which doesn't sit well with many.

Of course the FAW/FA example can not be extended to the USSF/CSA as the issue pre-dates modern league and association structure.