MLS Cup Finalists to CONCACAF Champions Cup

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Northside Rovers, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    isn't there another Concacaf Cup competiotion ? where this other teams get to play in, for some reason i thought Concacaf had 2 of this competitions, one for Champ and runnerup and the other for this Open Cup and SShield

3. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew fans are going to be pissed.

4. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rightly so. That's BS. Should be Cup and Shield winner.

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is supposed to be a "Champions" cup, though.

My vote goes to the MLS Cup champion and the US Open Cup champion.

6. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    True dat Brian, but do we really want to see Doctor Khumalo, Pete Marino and Mike Lapper represent MLS in this tournament? :D

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to think the regular season champ desrves something. I love the Open Cup. I wish it meant more too, but I think we shouldn't have two tournament champions go when a regular-season champ sits at home.

8. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. But MLS HQ knew there'd be trouble which is why they included this at the end of the PR: "Aside from the 2002 and 2003 editions of the CONCACAF Champions Cup which saw four MLS teams participate, the MLS Cup Champions and runner-up represented the United States in all previous tournaments since 1997. The 2003 MLS Cup Champion San Jose Earthquakes and runners-up Chicago Fire participated in the 2004 event."

Thanks MLS. :rolleyes:

9. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Andrulis will not become an internationally known fool that will embarrass the Columbus faithful who deserve so much more (or did he do that in their last CC appearance?). With his low international profile, I'd like to see him take the gig in Mexico after Lavolpe is gone....they won't know what hit them!!!

10. kingjackdaniel

Jul 16, 2004
    Dyer, IN
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. MLS and US Open Cup Champs. What about winners from last year?

11. kingjackdaniel

Jul 16, 2004
    Dyer, IN
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I don't think they should have it set who goes, for example they shouldn't say SS winner, cup winner, cup runner-up, etc. go. They should pick them based on intangible things. Like San Jose didnt go far in the playoffs or have a great regular season, but are still a dangerous team. I'm not saying they should go, but I'm using them as an example. Anyway, how'd KC get in in 2002? We sucked that year. Also what other teams will be in the CONCACAF Cup?

13. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. When you have playoffs, the regular season primarily serves to weed out the really bad teams from having a chance at the championship. The playoffs are what matter. So reward that.

I'd like to see the Open Cup winner get the 2nd spot, but apparently that's not happening.

It would be nice however for MLS to decide and announce this at the beginning of the season, so at least everyone would know ahead of time. I can understand why Columbus fans are upset.

14. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Yes. There are only 8 spots in the entire tournament now. As I understand it. 2-US, 2-MEX, 2-CARIB, and 2-C. AM make up the bracket. Discression (I'm using the word loosely) is left to the federations in determining the 2 eligible.

The KC argument for being screwed is similar in that KC is still involved in the playoffs, had the same points and more wins than CLB, and took the USOC. CLB won the shield, sure. Whatever the selection process, 2nd place in anything shouldn't get squat.

You have to wonder why any team from the East is truly deserving. Only the East 3 and 4 seeds are even eligible for inclusion in this tournament. dc sucked the entire beginning of the year. NE managed to suck even longer.

If this is the way things will be then say so before the year starts. As is it just looks like yet another gift to either dc or NE.

15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you monster. the idea that the MLS regular season CHAMPION deserves to go less than the 2nd place team in a 4 game tournament (playoffs), or the winner of a short one off tournament (US Open Cup), is ludicrous. Crew are getting shafted. MLS has blown yet another one. As an aside, everyone does realize that next years Champions Cup winner goes to the World Club Championship next year in Japan ....... competing for 15 million smackeroos, right? What a screw job.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And of course, you have screwed the pooch too. DC IS the East number 2 seed. Get your facts straight before you spout off a bunch of nonsense. By the way, you do realize that this helps KC out as much as it helps DC or NE, right? :rolleyes:

17. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    This new plan is such bull sh$t. The team that wins the MLS Cup should get a Champions Cup slot, and the teams that wins the US Open Cup should get a Champions Club spot.

MLS just did this to make sure Freddy Adu plays in the Champions Cup.

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

AGREED!

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you even bother to read the article? You do realize that this is the same format that they had last year, right? You also realize that EVERY year in which we've only had 2 entrants, MLS has used this format? So if they have done that every year MLS has only had 2 entrants, how can you claim that they are ONLY doing it this year for Freddy. :rolleyes: The bottom line is that I think allowing the runnerup in MLS Cup to get in is just plain dumb. it was wrong when they used it in the past and it continues to be wrong now. the conspiracy theories are foolish though, when you see that the league has done it this way every other comparable year before this.

20. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    You know folks there is precedent about the MLS Cup winners AND runner's up being the two US entrants. As long as MLS is deciding on who's going, why the hell would they take pity on the USOC? And please don't tell me that the USOC is deserving or has been around so long, etc, or that it should be included. The CCC is about the best of MLS competing against the best of CONCACAF and that is only determined by the playoffs. It doesn't want to include a champion of a competition that could be from some backwater D3 league or one that even has to play against said competition.

21. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  22. Atom'sDad

Atom'sDad New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Texas
    Let's have an MLS Interliga to see who gets the 2nd spot.

23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a perfect world, the Revs would win their next 2 games, but decline the invite to a tournament their ownership has no interest in. Otherwise, they may get drawn against some crap Caribbean side who doesn't have $25,000 to buy the Revs "home" leg. :mad:

Tom

24. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Actually, I believe the U.S. Soccer Federation officially names the entrants...

PS: I also think the USOC winner should get a spot.

25. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    The continental place was one of the few tangible carrots for winning the Shield.

If this is the case that it won't happen next season, that's particularly sad.