MLS Cup Final Weekend Events

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by GreatZar, Oct 27, 2003.

1. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    October 24, 2003

Dear MLS and A-League Supporters,

Hope this letter finds you well and enjoying the end of the MLS regular season. With all eyes on this weekends final regular season games, it is only fitting we begin to look ahead towards the pinnacle of our season…MLS Cup 2003. Contained within you will find all pertinent information relating to MLS Cup, Supporters Summit and annual Supporters Bash.

Supporters Shield…Congratulations to the Chicago Fire for wining the 2003 MLS Supporters Shield! After polling a sampling of representatives from the respective supporter groups, it has been decided to award the Supporters Shield during the first Fire home playoff game on November 9 (vs. at the Gala Awards Ceremony). Not only will the Chicago Fire’s accomplishments be symbolically recognized in front of their fans, there may prove to be an opportunity to create local print and/or TV media exposure.

MLS Supporters Summit...Open to all MLS fans, this annual event is hosted by the local Supporter group prior to MLS Cup. Supporter group leaders, members and the soccer community alike are encouraged to attend and participate. By sharing like experiences, highlighting unresolved issues and maintaining an open line of communication, the Supporters Summit provides the ideal forum for loyal MLS fans to make a significant contribution in the development of Major League Soccer.

What: MLS Supporters Summit
    When: Saturday, November 22, 2003 (9:00 AM to 3:15 PM)
    Where:
    Hilton Carson City Plaza
    (Chardonnay/Cabernet Room)
    Two City Plaza
    Carson, CA 90745
    Tel. (310) 830-9200

Agenda:
    9:00 – 10:15 AM…MLS Supporters and A-League Leaders' Meeting
    10:15 – 10-30 AM…Break
    10:30 – Noon…US Soccer Supporters
    Noon – 12:30 PM…Lunch Break
    12:30 – 2:00 PM…US Soccer Supporters (Shield Presentation)
    2:00 – 3:00 PM…MLS Q and A session (MLS officials, media, etc.)
    3:00 – 3:15 PM…Wrap-up

MLS Gala Awards…This year the MLS Gala Awards Ceremony is being held at the Kodak Center in Hollywood. Not only are you invited, you are encouraged to attend the "Black Tie Optional" event. Gala tickets will be included in the event pack you receive when you register for the Supporters Summit. Plan your schedules accordingly…the MLS Gala Awards is an event you do not want to miss! The show begins at 6:30 PM and will last approximately 90 minutes. Doors open at 6:00 PM

Supporters Bash…Fans are encouraged to go directly from the MLS Gala Awards Ceremony to Hollywood Billiards Sports Bar & Grill for the Supporters Bash. Details are as follows…

What: Supporters Bash
    When: Saturday – November 22, 2003 (9:00 PM - ???)
    Where:
    Hollywood Billiards Sports Bar & Grill
    5750 Hollywood Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA 90028
    Tel: (323) 465-0115
    www.hollywoodbilliards.com

MLS Cup Tickets…Similar to years past, three (3) MLS Cup ticket blocks have been set aside to accommodate the following groups:

Section 103 ($23) – LA Galaxy supporters and those fans not affiliated with participating MLS Cup teams.

Section 127 ($35) – fans supporting Western Conference MLS Cup participant.

Section 137 ($35) – fans supporting Eastern Conference MLS Cup participant.

Fans choosing to sit in one of the above sections must purchase their tickets no later than Wednesday, November 19. After the 19th, tickets in these sections will be made available to the general public. Tickets purchased by MLS team supporters in Sections 127 and 137 will be given a special group discount of $35/ticket. Tickets in Section 103 are set at $23. Simply contact James Mullins, Los Angeles Galaxy Manager of Fan Development, at 310-630-2228 or jmullins@lagalaxy.com.

MLS Cup 2003 guarantees to be a memorable event for all! If you have not already done so, wipe the weekend clean and begin to secure necessary travel arrangements. If you have additional questions please do not hesitate to contact Ozzy Gomez at SoccerOzzy@aol.com.

Look forward to seeing everyone in November at MLS Cup 2003!

All the best,

Ozzy Gomez
    Galaxians

Sam Pierron
    Supporters Shield Coordinator

David Wright
    Major League Soccer

2. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we sticky this until Nov 20 please?

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Done.

4. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    So... is anyone going out to MLS Cup regardless of the teams involved?

I'll be heading out, if anyone is interested in getting together and avoiding things like the Supporters' Summit, drop me a PM.

(nothing against the idea of nor people involved in the Supporters' Summit, it's just not by bag, baby)

5. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    We're definatley going if.....shhhhh, don't say it outloud!! We'd always be up for getting together with anyone else who goes out. But let's just get through tomorrow night first.

6. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm contemplating going. I decided if Colorado can at least make it to the 2nd round, I'll commit. If not it just depends. I could go this year and see 2 teams I don't care about or next year when the Rapids play at HDC. If IT happens there is no doubt. I've already got the days off approved.

7. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slight change to the above agenda for the summit:

Agenda:
    9:00 – 10:15 AM…MLS Supporters and A-League Leaders' Meeting
    10:15 – 10-30 AM…Break
    10:30 – Noon…US Soccer Supporters
    Noon – 1:00 PM…MLS Q and A session (MLS officials, media, etc.)
    1:00 – 2:00 PM…Lunch Break
    2:00 – 3:00 PM… US Soccer Supporters (Shield Presentation)
    3:00 – 3:15 PM…Wrap-up

Officials confirmed for Q and A session at noon:
    Commissioner Don Garber
    Deputy Commissioner Ivan Gazidis
    EVP Marketing and Fan Development Mark Noonan

More details, including registration:

MLS Supporter's Summit, Gala, Bash and Registration Details

Supporters Summit
    Saturday November 22nd. 9:00am - 3:15 pm
    Hilton Carson City Plaza
    Two Civic Plaza
    Carson, CA 90745
    Tel. (310) 830-9200

Rooms available at $75 + tax per room per night (double rate) for Friday No. 21, Sat. Nov. 22 and Sunday Nov. 23. (Limited quantity of rooms) Make sure to mention the MLS Supporters discount rate.

Rooms at same rate will be offered, based on availability, 3 days before and 3 days after the above dates.

The Hilton is 2.5 miles from the HDC, adjacent to City Hall, corner of Carson and Avalon Blvd. Easy access to the 405, 110 and 91 freeways. Complimentary shuttle services within 5 mile radius (Includes the HDC).
    -------------------------------------------

MLS Gala
    6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
    Kodak Theatre
    Hollywood & Highland
    Los Angeles, CA
    www.kodaktheatre.com

-------------------------------------------

MLS Supporters Bash
    9:00pm - closing
    Hollywood Billiards
    5750 Hollywood Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA 90028
    Telephone: (323) 465-0115
    www.hollywoodbilliards.com

Registration fee $10 per person and includes admission to all three events. Due to limited capacity, pre-registration is highly recommended.

Transportation available to Hilton Carson hotel guests at $5 extra per person:

$5 Round Trip: Hilton Carson - MLS Gala - Supporters Bash - Hilton Carson.

To register, send me an e-mail (daniel.zirin@mindspring.com) and I'll give you further details.

8. p_westerberg

p_westerberg New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    St. Paul, MN
    Re: Re: MLS Cup Final Weekend Events

Boy, if this doesn't make you want to rush off to the travel agent, nothing will. I get to speak with Mark Noonan? Woo hoo!

9. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: MLS Cup Final Weekend Events

I guess your ability to talk to the MLB, NHL, NBA, and NFL Commissioners in a room of about 100-200 and ask any question (not to mention tackle the guy for a personal question before/after the session for a short minute) makes you think this is nothing special.

:rolleyes: :(

10. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Re: Re: Re: Re: MLS Cup Final Weekend Events

Damn tootin', Zar.

I may not be personally interested in the Summit, but the participation of the likes of Garber and Gazidis -- and yes, Noonan -- is outstanding.

What's even better is that this isn't the first time they're showing up, either.

Eventually the league will likely grow too big to have the commish or excecs participate at this level, but I still think it's a fantastic gesture on the part of MLS to recognize the Summit as an important event, and to become fully involved; from what I've heard, league reps at the Summit have always been very candid, straightforward and most importantly, clearly present to listen to the fans.

11. p_westerberg

p_westerberg New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    St. Paul, MN
    I think it is sad that these guys don't have anything better to do. Shouldn't they be meeting with the GM's and potential investors, not the fans, to find ways to make the league better. Shouldn't they be working with the referees and the team ticketing managers and the coaches to find solutions to the many problems that exist and are not being fixed.

And if it is not the first time that they've attended, what changes have come about as a result of their previous participation?

I just think that the league has bigger issues that need to be solved. Suits showing up for a bunch of geeks at The Supporters Summit doesn't do much more than pay lip service to the die-hards.

But, hey, if this is your kind of thing, go for it. Ask Gazides why he lets foreign players walk all over the league and ask Noonan exactly what he's done to earn the right to keep his job. I choose not to make a big deal out of the opportunity to sit in a room with a bunch of nerds and be spoon fed crap by the morons who are running the league into a state of parity-induced boredom.

12. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm intereseted in why you think that fans who show up to an event that recongizes the "die-hard" supporters are "geeks" and "nerds". I'm also pretty sure these guys aren't so busy that taking a Saturday to give a little back to the fans who spent the money and took the time to travel to LA, won't cause any major setbacks to their primary job of making you happy. I know all the investors were hoping to meets with him on this day. The Referee's Union had to reschedule until next year because Nov. 22 was the only time they had available to fix this pathetic ref problem So, you shouldn't really worry too much. And finally I hope all the coaches and ticketing managers who were gathering on this day to figure out, "Just what is it we're doing wrong?", will be able to refund their plane tickets will be able to put their little heads together and figure it out on their own because Darn it! this ONE day that seems to be the ONLY day to get work on things has been reserved for the fans.
    Isn't there some EPL that they could all be watching instead?

13. p_westerberg

p_westerberg New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    St. Paul, MN
    Man, that is a mouthful. Grammar and sentence structure aren't big in Colorado schools, I see.

Have you ever seen the Supporters Summit? Nobody goes to that thing but geeks and nerds.

14. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Funny, but I hear a lot of ignorant people saying the same thing about bigsoccer.com

15. p_westerberg

p_westerberg New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    St. Paul, MN
    It's true! Nothing but geeks and nerds on bigsoccer.
    All the cool kids spend their time at rapidsfan.com.