MLS Cup 2023 (Saturday, 12/9) pregame/in-game/postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 2, 2023.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAFC certainly isn’t giving up. :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They are very frustrating though

Goodsport repped this.
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of which: would you want Taylor Twellman to start announcing some Earthquakes games next season? :eek:

-G

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final score of MLS Cup 2023 is:

[​IMG] 2 - 1 [​IMG]

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  6. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    love the fans booing Garber

vamanoshasta and don gagliardi repped this.
  7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Columbus Crew now has more MLS Cup wins (3) than the San Jose Earthquakes do (2). :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

Boysinblue repped this.
  8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    2003 was in another universe. It's as if we won back in the day when they were still playing with round rocks or grapefruit.

9. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Happy for Columbus. I have been there many times for US games, two MLS Cups (2001, 2015), a MLS All Star game and lived there for about two years as a child.

I must say that I am envious. What happened today in Columbus seems unlikely for San Jose.

TyffaneeSue, bostero24 and Kaitlyn repped this.
  10. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I turned the game off after the half as it was putting me to sleep. Probably one of the worst MLS cups I've had the displeasure to witness.

11. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We technically should have 4 ;)

TyffaneeSue, Beerking and SeaJayBee repped this.
  12. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to the Crew’s fan base

vamanoshasta repped this.
  13. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, as I predicted, and as I hoped, Crew wins. I don't think the game was nearly as close as the score suggests. Columbus played them off the pitch. It was an absolute beat-down. Columbus played great and LAFC sucked. If it weren't for Bounga it would have been completely embarrassing. It was embarrassing enough. If Cucho (MVP, really?), and Rossi could have finished *something* (other than a PK, which almost everyone makes) it would have been 3-1 or 4-1.

Montreal's giving up Wilfried Nancy to Columbus is the dumbest move in MLS since Dominic Kinnear traded Wondo for Cam Weaver.

One nice moment in the celebration. They showed a lot of Nagbe hugging people, but when Aidan Morris approached him, Nagbe immediately broke down in tears. I guess it was just seeing the guy that you were in the trenches with all season, and maybe the guy that you're passing the torch to?

xbhaskarx and Boysinblue repped this.
  14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    One more thing. That Mohamed Farsi guy reminds me a little bit of a young DeRo. Great dribbler - he was the Canadian Futsal Player of the Year award in 2020, and kind of looks like DeRo a little bit, plus his gait is a little similar. There was a lot of Columbus guys just blowing thru midfield to break up passes and win the ball, and he was one of them. He lost the ball on the play that I think led to Cincinnati's 1st goal last week, but it's like Wilfried Nancy to not care and stick with him. Those are the chances you take and you have to live with the consequences sometimes. You have to be willing to live with the mistakes - something CL used to say also as coach. If Dom was Columbus coach, Farsi would not have played for the next 15 games.

15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F#$& NO!

I hate that guy! (As an announcer.) He’s such a jerk. And he’s really biased, and he hates us my precious!!

GO Quakesfans!!

TyffaneeSue and Beerking repped this.
  16. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Wow. Columbus sure knows how to pass that ball. Quakes look like U10s in comparison!

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah I was thinking about what it would look like if that was the Quakes playing Columbus tonight. That said, LAFC did not exactly cover themselves in glory. Except for Bouanga they were terrible. But Luchi would have us bunkering as we came out of the tunnel.

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #93 JazzyJ, Dec 10, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
    Cherundolo's pomposity shines thru again. He always has to create the image that he's beyond reproach. He can never allow the slightest suggestion or thought that his team fell short possibly due to *anything* about his coaching.

After the game he said Columbus played a great game and was the better team today, but wouldn't say that Columbus is the better team in general. His team lost today because "we made a couple of errors defensively that led to their two goals, and that's pretty much it". Really? Every goal that any team scores can be framed as a "mistake" by the conceding team. We can say that a turnover (mistake) in Columbus's half led to LAFC's goal. It's meaningless.

The fact of the matter is that Columbus completely owned LAFC, had more than 2x the xG, and LAFC was lucky that they didn't lose by more. LAFC scores a lot on corners. Surely they'll want to win lots of corners! They had.....1 (womp womp). Columbus had 9.

Also when it was mentioned that his team was 0 and 3 in championship finals this year, Cherundolo kind of made fun of the press for "grouping" or "categorizing" the 3 finals together, because "they are all different". Sure, they're all different! Otherwise, they'd be the same final for the same championship. What they have in common is that they were championship finals. Win the game and you win the championship. But no! Can't have anyone thinking that he made any misstep whatsoever in preparing his team for those finals! His teams were perfectly prepared! The players just made a few "errors", and "that's pretty much it!", and no you are not allowed to compile his record in championship final games this year!

TyffaneeSue and Boysinblue repped this.
  19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even if he was paired with Danielle Slaton? :confused:

-G

21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only watched the highlight so far. I really like the way that Columbus plays.

Just how stupid is Joey Sapputo to let Wilfried Nancy get away? I mean, talk about terminal amounts of egg on your face.

We need to sign at least one or two serious stud players. Like a killer #10, and a savage left-wing. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Good thing I have lots of whiskey.

Go Quakesfans!!
    Happy Holidays and be safe and healthy everyone!!

- Mark

22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pissed at Danielle right now too. Her announcing of OUR games this year was extremely biased against us. I've always liked her previously. But this year?! She pissed on us every chance she got, whining about how that was a handball, or we should have given up a PK, or how awful OUR team is. Nope! Don't want to hear Danielle again.

Go Quakesfans!!

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #98 JazzyJ, Dec 10, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
    It was earlier in his coaching career and no one knew he was so good, but imagine if we signed Nancy to coach the team in 2019 instead of Almeyda. Yes we don't have the players that Columbus has but I would like to think that Nancy could have helped mold the roster to guys that can play soccer. Good example is that Farsi guy, who I think of as "little DeRo" and who was Canadian Futsal Player of the Year before he signed with Columbus. And he snapped up Quakes II cast-off Max Arfsten from us, saw something in him, and Arfsten had 2 goals and 2 assist in 272 minutes, which is better production than Cade Cowell had last year....in 1/6 the minutes.

Kaitlyn and markmcf8 repped this.
  24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's a low bar to make pretty much any competent attacking player in the league look amazing statistically in comparison to Cade in 2023.

25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #100 JazzyJ, Dec 11, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
    True but a goal or assist every 70 minutes is pretty amazingly productive for a Quakes II player that the Quakes couldn’t bother to keep around, even if the sample size is really small. And speaking of high productivity and small sample size, he played 1 minute in the playoffs and scored a goal in that 1 minute!! Somehow the Crew picked him out of the Superdraft and selected him 1st round. As far as I know he was not considered a top prospect.

Here’s what Nancy said about him:

Arfsten played primarily on the wing with Earthquakes II, so he's an intriguing fit in Crew coach Wilfried Nancy's system, which uses wingbacks, not traditional wingers. But Arfsten's skill with the ball and abilities in the attack made him a top target for the Crew in the draft, and those attributes caught Nancy's eye right away.

"One strength is his technical ability to beat players," Crew coach Wilfried Nancy said last week. "He’s able to play with the left foot. He can play with the right foot. He likes the challenge for the 1v1. This is something that I like. Especially the way we play, we want to attack. Sometimes, we want to isolate players on the 1v1. He likes to dribble. He likes to beat the guy. He’s able also to have the composure to give the assist for that."