Post-match: MLS Cup 2008

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Nov 23, 2008.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

Moreno, Marshall, Hejduk. GBS with three assists. I don't know if I could have scripted it better.

We did it. We god***n did it!!!

2. Mud Grunt

Mud Grunt New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    The Pentagon
    Congratulations on a great win and a great season.

3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    [​IMG]

someone throw a star above that!!!

4. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Time to buy a new jersey.

That star is going to look beautiful on it.

5. FC TDG

FC TDG Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ho-lee-shit. Still can't believe it. A great early birthday present as well.

Also, Dispatch.com poll:
    Way to go, central Ohio!

6. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Congrats from a Red Bulls fan. You guys were the most consistent team in the league all year, came from behind in a lot of big games, and did more than enough to take home the cup today.

We overachieved this postseason and ended somewhat happy just to be there. You guys were very fitting champions. It's about time one of us brought home the cup.

7. Tongpu12

Tongpu12 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I began to doubt our team within the first 20-25 minutes of this match. I really should be ashamed, because we achieved what we've fought for all year: an MLS Championship. How many times has this team fought back from a goal down only to come back and find victory? Tonight was no different, and I don'tWe know why I was so worried early in the match. Thank you Crew for bringing this town such a wonderful win!

8. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christmas is going to break my wallet!! That said, time to get your gear on!!

[​IMG]

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's about time this club got a little luck. NY was pretty darn good in the first half-hour. We were lucky not to be down. But once Moreno broke the seal, there was little doubt.

And I'm so glad Alejandro scored. He's been such a work horse all season, and he'd gone so long without scoring. If anyone truly deserved to get a goal today, it was him.

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Just got a call from Placid, sounds like they are well into their celebration!!

11. Joedogsweetman

Aug 18, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Awsome, . . if only I was in Cali and not in Ohio sick :mad:

12. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just ordered mine! I may also pick up the East Conf champ shirt too, maybe it'll go down in price. I was so afraid to buy anything or do anything differently before this game, now I'm going to go crazy with the purchases.

13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Agree with you about Moreno. That was fantastic. And this is a guy that has totally embraced and bled the colors since he's been here. It was fantastic.

I did have doubt for about a minute once NY tied it but as soon as we went up 2-1 it was over. Fantastic.

Also, Vanderbergh, who was so dangerous in the first half really wasn't as visable in the second half. great job by Eddie and Frankie on that side shutting him down.

14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More...

• How awesome that our Defender of the Year comes away with the game-winner, moments after the equalizer? Seems like we've seen that Schelotto - Marshall connection before.
    • What an awesome flip-pass by Schelotto on the Hejduk tally. It's only fitting that the captain, the man, the myth, the legend, Frankie Hejduk got to celebrate the goal that put the Championship away.
    • 16-0-0 when scoring first (if you include leg 2 against KC, and today).
    • Hesmer was STRONG today. Controlled his box very, very well. Didn't have to make a lot of "saves", but was a big part of the win.
    • Any surprise that the first corner kick taken by the Crew in front of Nordecke ended up in the net?

15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eastern Conference Champions. Check
    Supporters Shield. Check
    Defender of the Year. Marshall. Check
    MVP. GBS. Check
    Coach of the Year. Sigi. Check
    3 on the MLS Best XI. GBS, Marshall, Rogers. Check
    Best Supporters. Check
    [/B]MLS CHAMPIONS!!!![/B]. Check

I almost don't know what to say. Magical. Beautiful. Joyous. Spectacular. Legendary. Emotional. There's probably a thousand adjectives that describe this season. We've waited 13 years. It was well worth it. I remember walking into The Horseshoe in '96 happy to have pro soccer within 3 hours of home. I walked out of that stadium, a win over the Mutiny, saying "This is my team." It continues today. It will continue forever. :D

The game today was one for the ages. It wasn't easy. It was nerve wrecking at times. But one thing is certain, when we are down, the troops rally and they are always victorious. I can't think of one player who had an off day. Everyone came with their "A game". That's is the mark of a team and of a true champion. GBS, Moreno, Hejduk, Rogers, Marshall, everone was spectular!! We have cemented ourselves amongst the best. Who more could you ask? In the end, I love the curtain call for GBS, I stood in my living room, with two friends, and clapping. He's a legend and a true professional. I also loved that the So Cal boy, Frankie, iced the game! I also love how Sigi inserted Iro and Lenhert both whome have So Cal connections. A class act move. It's been an amazing run and I can't wait to see the star above the crest next season. Champions. Who would of thunk that?

16. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Congratulations. GBS is pure class. Nice to see Frankie get the last goal, he's done yeoman work over the years for USMNT and the Crew. Enjoy the moment.

17. crewgirl1214

crewgirl1214 New Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Somerset, OH
    wow. what a game!!!

does anyone know when the team arrives back at the airport??

18. jackmann

jackmann Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Cowtown
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    freakin sweet

19. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never been this pumped over a win, ever. This is just pure, unbridled, unstoppable, sports fan ecstasy. After all the years of struggling to get over, they finally did it. And did it in style. I don't even think it's begun to sink in yet.

I could have been there, if my goddamn car... oh, never mind.

20. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mentally, well, the way their bodies were speaking, they had the "here we go again" type of attitude. Teams that have played us all year when scored on or overtaken by Columbus seem to put their heads down and lack a fight. Mentally, Columbus' play along with will to win plain and simply beats teams down.

21. TheOtherBastard

TheOtherBastard New Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Akron, OH
    MASSIVE.

GBS = MVP x2. (MVP's MVP?)

Does this mean Marshall has the lead in playoff goals for current Crew players? :eek:

22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that this has anything to do with anything... I'd also like to point out that there hasn't been a single post on the Toronto FC boards since before noon today.

They have such great fans. :eek: I guess they couldn't stand not being a part of something so MASSIVE.

Eat it, bitches.

It can now be said: We ended the season, for DC United, Chicago, AND New York, en route to the title. That's a tough act to follow.

See everyone in February.

23. Hoolie McGee

Hoolie McGee New Member

May 17, 2008
    Massive, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank You to all you other teams who are coming to congratulate us. Seriously.

Funny that Toronto hasn't shown up, huh? They're probably off pretending to be European somewhere playing Football Manager...

24. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with the remarks above about Moreno. For a guy who's played for as many teams as he has, he really seems Crew through and through. Fantastic season, fantastic performance from him today. I was watching the post-match presser on mls.com, and he said something about how one game Will Hesmer told him that somebody in the stands had called him "an oversized gremlin". He just shrugged and said "I don't even know what that means. I just do what I do, it's not flashy, I just work real hard and try to create things for the other guys" (and I'm obviously paraphrasing there). What a workhorse. I always thought his nickname should be El Caballo, 'cause he carries a guy on his back for 90 minutes.

Fantastic performance from everybody today and this year. How solid was our line up this season? Last year it seemed like there were times we had no idea what our best XI was. This year we had so little trouble with injuries, especially in the second half, that there was never any doubt what the teamsheet would look like. That contributed a lot to our success.

25. Vang0gh24

Vang0gh24 New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    K-W
    Congratulations!
    This is actualy double Crown for Crew! Supporters shield and MLS Cup in same season!!! Undisputable, most Dominant, The Best team in the league - season 08.
    Enjoy it, AThis is your 5 min Crew fans.
    GBS = Legend.

P.S: I am glad that I prove you wrong about TFC fans.