MLS Cup 2004 Complete Travel Info Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by galaxycrazy, Oct 27, 2004.

1. galaxycrazy

galaxycrazy New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Just pour your drink of choice in a colored cup and you won't be bothered. The only thing security would frown upon would be grills.

The parking lots usually open around 2 hours before the game.

Expect to pay over $15 for parking, that's the regular price for lots near the stadium. The lots are scattered so if you're all planning to meet up together you should all plan on entering the same parking lot. My suggestion would be Lot 12 which runs parallel to Victoria St., and has a grassy area bordering the street where you can all hang out.

2. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Timing Update!!!

I'm going to call and confirm this with someone else tomorrow just to make sure.

Ok, so get there a little before 10:15ish to park. Lets park in Lot 11 between gates B and C (its in the northwest corner of the complex) on the linked map. But we'll need to head up pretty quickly considering we have to wait in a will call line that could be pretty long. DC fans are going to be in Lot 3 between gates D and E before the game.
    Image of complex w/ parking lots: http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/lag/pdf/stadium_parkingrates.pdf
    Website with directions to these lots: http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/MLS/lag/stadium/

Basically straight south of where the Hampton Inn is. From MapQuest it looks like you head back west on Albertoni, turn south on Avalon and then the lot is on the southeast corner of Avalon and E. Victoria St.

Some of us will have to go in early to hang the banners, but according to Sam thats a limited number (we'll decide in the next couple days). With two hours from the time we can get there to kick off, there's not much time for tailgating. Might have to start early back at the hotel Oct.

3. Thompson

Thompson New Member

Jan 19, 2000
    Topeka, KS, USA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Late notice, I know, but Karen & I are looking for space somewhere to crash. If anyone needs 2 more to split the cost of their hotel room for Sat. & Sun. night let me know ASAP. Thanks!

4. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    The LA box office is open Saturday, so you might be able to go and get your tickets if you're already in town. I'm going to pick mine up.

Get there a little before 10:15ish to park. Lets park in Lot 11 between gates B and C (its in the northwest corner of the complex) on the linked map. DC fans are going to be in Lot 3 between gates D and E before the game.

Image of complex w/ parking lots: http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/lag/pdf/stadium_parkingrates.pdf
    Website with directions to these lots: http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/MLS/lag/stadium/

Basically straight south of where the Hampton Inn is. From MapQuest it looks like you head back west on Albertoni, turn south on Avalon and then the lot is on the southeast corner of Avalon and E. Victoria St.

Some of us will have to go in early to hang the banners, but according to Sam thats a limited number (It looks like this will happen on Saturday afternoon).
    With two hours from the time we can get there to kick off, there's not much time for tailgating. Might have to start early back at the hotel Oct.
    A note about tailgating!!! Basically if you are bringing beer, you need to drive and park. Bring cups and pour your beer in the cups. Don't grill. Don't walk up to the stadium with half a beer you waiting to finish off. If you do these things, the security (I'm told) will leave you alone.

5. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    OK, I'm headed to KC right now. I might not be able to post tomorrow. See you all there. If there's any questions just give me a call (Chris sent out the phone list.)
    If anything else we'll see everyone at Roscoe's and then the Bash.

Don't forget, you can save some time for Sunday by picking up your tickets Saturday from noon-3pm.

Save travels everyone.

6. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    Thanks.

But I think I could'nt come. must work, a shame.

But I hope I can listen on internet radio.

7. jimmyodonnell

jimmyodonnell Member

May 1, 2003
    Yesterday I threw a post in the Galaxy forum that notes some of the conditions to tailgating here -- I don't know how to copy it over here but it basically tells you some of the ground rules we deal with here for regular-season games. I don't know the post number but it's my only one. There's a thread called HDC ADVICE TO KC & DC FANS or something like that.

The key is that CUPS are a lot more likely to work than cans or bottles -- bring some cups to pour your parking-lot beers into, and it's usually OK. Stay to the north perimeter of lots 11, 12 and 13 and you're usually OK. The closer you are to the stadium walkways, the tighter the bike cops are about the drinks. Regular season games don't have a lot of BBQ grills, but we're going to bring one to this game and we're going to try to set up on the grass just inside the fence on the northern perimeter of lots 11, 12, 13 along Victoria. Also be aware that VICTORIA is NOT called VICTORIA until you get right up to the stadium -- west of the stadium, VICTORIA is 190th STREET -- the freeway exit from the southbound 110 freeway is marked 190th STREET, NOT VICTORIA.

8. gk0002

gk0002 New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Lee's Summit
    Here I go. I'm off to the airport!

9. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Thompson or anyone bringing extra scarves? Mine didn't make it home after the last game.

10. Thompson

Thompson New Member

Jan 19, 2000
    Topeka, KS, USA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bring as many as I can find/stuff in my bag. BTW, rooms are still available at the Hampton there, if anyone was wondering - I just booked one an hour ago for $80. See you all in L.A.! :cool:

11. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome! Well, I'll go attempt to reassemble my truck now. I came just shy of removing the seats looking for it.

12. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it turns out that i'm staying at the Sheraton Gateway.

I am not happy about this, but i was not the one booking it.
    And, truth be told, i should be thankful to be there at all.

Speaking of which...it's not looking like my drum OR the kansas city USA flag are gonna be making the trip.

Dang.