MLS Cup 2004 - Broadcast in HD?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by captinboondoggle, Nov 8, 2004.

1. captinboondoggle

Aug 31, 2001
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the ABC telecast in HD? Haven't been able to verify either way.

Any info appreciated.

2. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    No. Too expensive to do, considering that SUM barely returns a profit on telecasts if they turn a profit at all.

3. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US

ABC doesn't even televise their college football in HD. I can't imagine a world in which MLS Cup 2004 would be in HD. It would be nice but I guess we just have to live with the weekly HDNet broadcasts. Someone send a fruit basket to Mark Cuban!

4. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    are you sure? I thought at least one of the conference finals was shown in HD. Though I'd guess the same. Just asking if you're guessing or know for sure

5. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    HDNet was broadcasting the games you're thinking about. They do EVERYTHING in HD. As I mentioned before, ABC doesn't care enough about HD to do any of the college football I see them broadcast in it. If my theory about ABC/ESPN having one set of HD cameras is correct then those cameras will be wherever the Sunday night NFL game is that night. But hey, you never know!

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    An HD-equipment truck used to cost over $10M about a year ago, cameras between $60,000 and $100,000.

Their costs are coming down but it's still quite a bit for the regional football coverage.

ESPN does one college game in HD per week.

7. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the costs outside of the cameras.

8. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could have outsourced the production to HDNet.

After watching both semifinals in HD, it's going to be a real let down to watch the final in SD.

HDNet's production has been amazing. I love the way they pass the crowd ambience in the surround speakers over the Dolby 5.1 feed. During the PK shootout saturday night, they had a great tight shot of the goal from behind fully utilizing the 16:9 widescreen picture. When the ball hit the crossbar, my subwoofer roared with a massive thud.