MLS Continues Steps Into Youth Development

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Dan Roudebush, Apr 23, 2003.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Dan, I didn't move it. I'm not a big advocate of moving threads. I just wanted to remind people that there IS another forum specifically for Youth Soccer discussion and apparently one of the mods in the other forum or a SuperMod took the initiative to move it (leaving a pointer in place).

This Youth Soccer forum is for discussions of elite youth soccer, which include SYL, ODP, elite leagues and tournaments, etc - all of which could be said to be related to future national team player development. I actually believe there should be two youth forums - one for Competitive and one for Rec - but the BS folks agreed to a tagline update and a change in location (to under the USA section). Some Rec Youth Soccer discussions occur here, but I refer most questions about that to the Coaching Board.

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Fire Program

Peter -

Well, if you say you're serious about this thing, that's good enough for me. You've earned your credibility. I retract my criticism about the Fire's intent.

Guess I'll just have to give the program time. It simply ain't there yet at the younger ages; the best kids aren't showing up. Presumably because the end game isn't yet clear -- if you participate in a Fire U12 training session, what's the eventual payoff? There's gotta be something that's clear to the kids and the parents, because the drawbacks are definitely there -- the club coaches aren't happy if the session times conflict with club training (which they sometimes do). Also, there's ODP to juggle. Only so many hours and $ that the parents can give in the name of soccer. And right now, at the younger ages, the Fire program seems to be coming in third place.

But I understand, these are early days yet. I'll stop carping.

I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor, and I do think that if any organization can carry it off, it will be the Fire.

3. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Re: Fire Program

John, you're absolutely right. That's exactly why we're taking the next step with the CF Jrs. What we have done, is taken the west academy and used the combined resources of the Fire, Wheaton Wings, Falcons and Park District to create a new professionally managed and directed club with youth development (and branding of the Fire) as a goal. If this works well, we will convert the current academies in the north and in the city to CF Jrs. sites as well.

peter

4. Mr. Cam

Mr. Cam Red Card

Jun 28, 2001
    A bit dated but still true.

http://www.sover.net/~spectrum/culture.html

A White Middle Class Sport

Soccer is still a white, suburban, small town or white ethnic, urban sport, with smatterings of Hispanic teams in Spanish-speaking communities. African-American communities and African-American kids around the country, especially in our urban areas, have not yet adopted soccer in a manner similar to their suburban neighbors. There is no expectation of payoff, as there is with basketball or football, so African-American kids are not hungry for soccer.

Few African-American parents know the game. Fields are scarce in inner-city neighborhoods, in contrast to basketball hoops found in every playground, driveway, and alley. And no one has attempted to concentrate resources for the development of soccer leagues, clinics, and administrators for the African-American community.
    Yet the potential is there. An American Pele or Eusebio is yet to be discovered, but in working with African-American youngsters in soccer clinics and on my team, I am convinced that someday African-American kids will discover soccer, will excel, will be the "Magic Johnsons" and "Dr. Js" of soccer, and will contribute to our development as a truly competitive soccer nation.