MLS Commentators

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by metblack85, Apr 16, 2006.

1. metblack85

metblack85 New Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Is it just me or does Rob Stone make some of the strangest comments while on ESPN2?

During Chivas - LA, two players were fighting for a loose ball, and Stone goes "That's what in Hockey would be called a strong fore-check"

I've never heard Tommy Smyth say something like that.

Do any of you out there wish we had European commentators?

The two guys they get to do the Champions League games on ESPN2 are class compared to some of the guys we've got. I think it might help the MLS entertainment value a little bit.

Also, less turnovers in the midfield against Kansas City might add to the entertainment value also. That is all.

2. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I love Max Bretos.

3. tedski

tedski Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Tucson, Baja Arizona
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Even better, lets have them do it in Italian or German so we can further alienate potential fans and send the message that this isn't an American game.

4. rhiggz

rhiggz Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Oregon
    I don't mind the references to other sports. It happens in all sports games. When you watch football they'll say a receiver boxed a guy out like in basketball. Or, basketball announcer will say a hit looked like a football hit. It's natural for announcers to say things like that.

5. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    The mindless nonstop drivel that Stone and Balboa (among others) constantly generate detracts from the game and makes themselves and their opinions the center of attention. It does more to drive away new fans than all the soccer-bashing talkshow hosts combined. MLS and USSF should insist on someone better, even if of foreign background.

6. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's probably because Tommy Smyth doesn't know anything about hockey. He references other sports, as well.

No.

7. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    tommy smyth is horrible. why the hell do people like this guy? he's blind as a bat he gets every play wrong. then not to mention he is insanely biased and will go on and on about how so and so shouldn't have been booked even when they definetly should have.

but because he has a accent he's good right? :rolleyes:

8. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I have ever heard/seen any one express this sentiment.

9. Kenp

Kenp BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I agree 1 billion percent. It's so annoying that before every replay gets to the key point, Smythe has already blurted out that the replay vindicates his invariably wrong call.

I honestly don't know what game he's watching, sometimes.:confused:

10. kakaboypuf redded

Feb 1, 2006
    Rotterdam
    Tommy Shyte shud STFU with his corny ass lepricon accent :mad:

11. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I like him because he doesn't talk about the game that much. I don't like it when the announcers are like "this is happening, and now this is happening..." I can SEE what's happening, I don't need people to tell me whats going on. Bretos keeps me entertained in the boring games.

12. jmsullivan

jmsullivan Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Fairhaven Ma.
    I always found him very entertaining.

13. Delerium redded

Delerium redded Red Card

Mar 6, 2006
    PHX, AZ
    ya seriously, like that bolboa dude or whatever his name is, the one that looks like jesus. my god that dude is one stupid mothafuqa, always biased and says stupid shit thats obviously his opinion. not just him but alot others, i actually didnt mind that one guy on the chivas galaxy match this past weekend. the one who actually knew more about the game, he wasnt hangin on ne teams nuts during the game, the other guy was though on galaxy's nuts, he just said random stupid shit.

14. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in general, I'm a huge fan of the mute button. I do like max bretos because he is such an unbelievably massive geek who knows a lto about soccer and way to many trivial pursuit answers and be able to integrate the 2 seamlessly:cool:

15. Ross

Ross Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Straight outta Qtown
    Rob Stone drove me nuts on Saturday referring to the "LA Darby" that was coming up.

But Celo is dreamy so I don't care what he says.

amy

16. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the fact that it was being called a "super classico" before it was ever played... that's classic:rolleyes:

anything imo is better than waldo, the guys just says stuff to TRY be controversial, but it's ususally safe and just a dumb opinion

17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Right on.

Listening to PL games on FSC is a great demonstration of how it should be done. I actually felt that the ONE thing that MLS should have imported from day one was broadcasters. They should have tossed some money at some of the guys who were doing TV/radio for first division and small PL clubs and brought over a stable of 5-6 to do all the MLS games - learn the players, learn the style - and then talk about is happening IN the game and WHY.

18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I'll tell you what, Marcello Balboa, the guy has only about four different things that he says over and over, but you know what? That's the way the announcing game works."

The PBP guy's job on TV is to say the player's name with the ball, with an occasional description. Dead silence is not only OK, it also enhances the game. On radio, the BPB guy must describe what is happening: "Noonan, dribblingon the right side, looks for Dempsey but he's challenged by Arnaud. Arnaud takes it but it's immediately taken back by Dorman who switches it to the other side for Leonard..."

The color guy needs to speak in 5-10 second sound bytes, only one point at a time. Again, you don't have to be speaking every available second.

19. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To continue a theme I started a little while ago, in addition to "Chivas USA is neither Chivas nor USA" the Honda Super Clasico is neither super, nor is it a clasico.

20. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I find Bretos and Hopkins to be very amusing. Their alternate view of reality is so bizarre it is impossible not to laugh. They used to annoy the crap out of me, but now I just chuckle.

I agree that Tommy Smyth should be banned from television.

21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd take Stone over lalas any day,,,,I can't stand listening to him

22. galaxy1320

galaxy1320 New Member

Jun 17, 2003
    LA
    Bretos rules

23. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution

I started the Bretos fad.

I like the Revs announcers, I think they do a good job, although Lalas kind of picks what he's going to harp on at the beginning of the game and then beats it to death. I like David Pleat when he announcers Premier League games, he's got a funny-sounding voice, doesn't talk much, and likes everybody. Seems like a jolly fellow.

24. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't Rob Stone, it was the new guy that ESPN is using, Dave O'Brien I think his name is ... Stone actually called the "Daarby" that night with Wynalda. That was very annoying though. Derby, damnit.

25. Ross

Ross Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Straight outta Qtown
    Duly noted...I made an assumption. Yes, it was still annoying.