MLS Carolina

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Sandlapper, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Sandlapper

Sandlapper New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just started a thread with the same name in MLS Expansion. Join up to show that Carolina deserves a team. Who knows, maybe we can open some eyes around here. :eek: "WOW, that many people like soccer around there?!" Well duh . . .

2. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wish I could say "it may be hard but is possible" but I have to say "It may be possible but is hard."

Charleston or Columbia, which is a better city for MLS and why?

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not going to happen any time soon.

No owner.
    No stadium.

There are existing threads on the topic.

4. Sandlapper

Sandlapper New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for your insight, as if we didn't know that already. :rolleyes:

If I was a rich soccer fan who could find the dough to start a team I would look for threads that had a crap load of fans screaming for one (ie NYCFC).

5. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    A few years ago, as a young enthusiastic soccer fan I went around asking why if there is about 2 millions Salvadorans in the US, why dont we have a Salvadoran team? I mean we are all crazy about soccer.

The people involved with Aguila which is my hometown team and the most popular team in the country explained me a lot of things.

Not to make it to long. If there is not profit involved, nobody is going to throw a dime for a project that is not gone give dividents. I wish I could say there is enough people involved in South Carolina, and there is a lot of people who grew up playing soccer but the truth is, outside of watching a few epl teams on the weekends, they dont really care about soccer.

In Columbia there is an stablished mans league with about 30 teams, there is a latino league with about the same amount of teams, I dont think they are enough to make a profitable soccer team for MLS. Of course these towns are crazy about sports, soccer is just not there next to Football (which is the biggest one) baseball, and bk, heck even golf has more fans in SC than soccer.

Even if you were rich and had the money you would go and invest the money in Atlanta or Miami, where you can actually make something out of it. Kind of sad but is reality, I wish there was a team in MLS, heck I wish the Battery played MLS which is more realistic...

6. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That very premise seems to be working well for TSV 1899 Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga... Wht not here?

7. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just moved here from Dallas after following soccer (NASL religiously and then MLS since inception) and I just read that MLS has had some very preliminary talks with those in Cary NC about the possibility of an MLS side there.

That would be a long shot, at least for three years, but...

I kept thinking, why not Charleston (or Columbia)?

MLS is severely lacking geographic diversity in the Southeast, and they know they will eventually need to correct that somehow.

The Battery has had a certain degree of success, and their facilities seem very nice and could certainly be expanded...

Columbia is a college town, and that can have its own pros and cons as far as MLS is concerned.

Come on, guys... I don't want to drive 8 hours round trip to North Carolina to see MLS some day... (Although a road trip twice a year might be tolerable)

Are there enough passionate fans (ala Philadelphia's "Sons of Ben") in either town (Charleston or Columbia) that we could get momentum going for an MLS bid?

I'd gladly drive to Charleston, and a nice new soccer specific stadium would be nice in Columbia.

So -- Who has big money in Carolina that might want in? You have to look outside the box -- Houston now has Oscar De La Hoya, Seattle has Drew Carey, Vancouver is pitching with Steve Nash, Beckham himself might eventually be a part owner of a new Miami franchise, and so on.

Which towns (or suburbs) are dying for some serious property development that would support and participate in a bid?

The development in just four years around Pizza Hut Park has been amazing and a real boon to the town of Frisco. It has also helped put that suburb on the map in a very big way.

The economic impact of these stadium/retail/residential/commercial developments is often overlooked or understated, and when the deal is structured as it is in Dallas where the county, the team, and the local ISD all participate, everyone wins.

The magic number in MLS is attendance of 17,000 and that number can be lowered if the stadium also is set up to handle concerts. With proper ownership and marketing, it seems that Charleston could eventually pull in 17,000 or at least 15,000. Columbia would probably take more marketing, but the population is apparently much larger.

If the right investors step up, MLS puts that group to the front of the line (best example is Real Salt Lake winning the bid in a matter of weeks, coming out of nowhere thanks to Dave Checketts).

Man, I'd love something to happen here with MLS. If not here, then Cary at least (and Atlanta). MLS knows how passionate SEC and ACC fans are, and they know they can't ignore us forever.

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hope your adjusting to SC after your move. and I hope you can make it down here to Charleston to see some Battery games.

As far a team around here in charleston, I dont see it happening (maybe in 15 years or so, but if I were rich and had about $100 million to get rid off, I'd pick the North Charleston area. Prime location for a stadium (somewhere around the old Navy base. (easy access from I26 and I526, not too mention it sits on the river) and undergoing its own revitalization.

I'd look at a few celebrates that live here to be partners, Steve Colbert, Andy Dick, thomas Gibbson (Greg from Dharma and Greg) Will Patton are from Charleston, Oprah and Bill Murry have houses here as do a couple other Celebs. I'd of course have to bring in Tony Bakker owner of the Battery, wont be easy as he isnt a big fan of the single entity plan.

either way its going to come down to MLS. IMO, they are more intrested in TV market size and "big time appearence" Charleston doesnt really register in either catagory. but that is all right by me. I like the community vibe of the Chalreston and the Battery. Im okay with the Battery being a ULS D1 side. And a Damn good club at that. From our Stadium, to the FO to the qualitiy on the field not to mention our world-class pub.

My heart is with the Battery, I dont think a MLS club is going to take that away. infact, I would probally distain a MLS club if it caused the Battery to cease to exist.

9. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im with Mikey. As much as I would like to see MLS in Charleston, it isnt the time yet. Maybe in 15 years when Charleston grows but as of now no. Fun to think about though.

10. Theonefish

Theonefish Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Greenville SC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would lvoe it, and I think it could work (albeit its a longshot). The big thing is: The team would have to draw the passion that SEC football and ACC basketball gets. These people already spend their sports money on the Gamecocks, Tigers, Tar Heels, Wolfpack, Blue Devils, etc. No doubt that sports fans in the Carolinas are passionate, but how do you tap into that passion for a pro soccer team?

11. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I cannot disagree with you more on the Atlanta issue. Atlanta is not capable of sustaining an MLS club. Atlanta, as a sports city, is not very good - despite the solid support for collegiate athletics. Soccer is the last thing on most folks minds here in the Southeast, by and large. There are exceptions, but not many, unfortunately.

12. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You cannot, IMHO. Plain and simple.

13. Sandlapper

Sandlapper New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - You tap into the market's history. The Battery is a good example.

- find something in that history for the fans, or those around the potential market who don't know much about the game, to rally around. The "Don't Tread On Me" flag created by the Charleston patriot Col. Christopher Gadsden would do. So would Big Red, the red Palmetto flag used by the batteries around the harbor to tell the invading navy that time for warnings are over.

- create a fun atmosphere before (tailgating), during (chants), and after the game (post-game meet-ups decked out in battery gear). I'm talking so fun that they don't care what's happening on the field.

- create regional fan bases (brigades)

- spread the good news ("MAN . . . you need to go to one of these things.")

When I go to the Carolina Cup I hardly ever see a horse. Even college football is more of a social gathering than a match between two rivals. SELL THE "FUNNESS" and the social gathering.

14. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    All of the above sounds great in a perfect situation. But there is one HUGE issue you still have to get beyond and that is "most" Americans could give a rats rear about proper football.

I love the Battery. They are my domestic club - win, lose, or draw. I also love TSV 1860 Munich. They are my German club - win, lose, or draw.

But to see here what happens overseas with club support and all is, IMHO anyway, something of a pipedream. I think the Battery and Regiment are doing a whale of a gig making that happen for them. Other clubs on the USL (and hell even MLS) level are not so fortunate.

15. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive me in advance but this one might get a little long.

I think you have two types of sports fans.

the Die hard the one who grew up loving a team and follows it during the good times and the Bad times. Ill call these fans "supporters".

the second type is a "consumer", the fair weather fan that goes to games if the weather is nice and they are winning. they are expecting a promo when they come into the grounds, they want the jock rock and flashing lights during the game.

Saying this, I've been thinking about why place like Atlanta, Charlotte and Miami arent good sports towns.

I think a lot of it has to do with that those cities have seen a strong boom in poplulation over a relativily short time. People dont have a community connection to the the team if they have only lived in ATL for a couple years. In fact, most of the Die hard supporters are fans of another team already and would only have a passing interest in the new team. they might only go to see when "their" team is playing. the Consumer fan will come to the big game (see Beckham, slick promotions, new stadium open) but if the weather is bad or the team stinks, the numbers drop. with a drop in numbers (especially season tickets) sponsorships drop too.

charleston I think has an edge here as there is a strong community tie in Charleston, it a mix of southern charm, honest business with your neighbors and local pride that gives things "Charleston" its marketablity.

dont forget the Battery is one of the oldest continously run clubs in North America. with that comes its own history with the city of Charleston and its citizens.

I dont have the website bookmarked but someone did an analysis of game attendence basised on metro population. Guess which team in MLS and USL had one of the highest attendence average?

the Battery marketing must be doing something right, they have a good relationship with the local media, I see game ads in the local papers, hear pieces on the radio

But with more money for Marketing (TV commercials, billboards, etc) and all of us improving the game day experience, im sure the 'Baud could nearly sell out every game.

I think MLS is trying to market itself to those consumer fans more than the die hard ones. they want the numbers, Charleston has about 1% of the population attending games on average, imagine if places like New York got that? Yet even if they pull 15k the numbers look better. Now figure in TV market size, charlesotn is way down on the list.

Again, I dont really want an MLS team. I certainly dont want one if it means the Battery cease to operate. I want MLS to succeed but I've been watching since '96 and still wouldn't say I have a favorite team and just because one is in Jacksonville, Charlotte or ATL. Im not sure I would be a supporter of that club.

Now plan your time off so you can get to the Battery game sand especially the Carolina challenge cup

16. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Very, very well said, Mikey. You nailed it. Most of what we have around us are of the consumer variety. I prefer to think of myself as a supporter of the clubs of my choosing. I think the USL (specifically Charleston) has gotten it right whereas the MLS still has some work to do in that regard.

17. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Idk if is crazy or dumb but how about moving the Battery to Columbia?

More people, more money, and you already have the Charleston fans?

Spurrier is about to be done in a few years, we dont have any pro sport here in Carolina. Clemson and the Gamecocks are pretty good at soccer.

The Clemson-Carolina soccer game had about 7,000 people this year.

Bad or good, is just an idea.

18. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad Idea ;)

mainly beacuse then the "Battery" wouldnt have the historic context it has now and I'd have to drive 3 hrs RT for the matches.

You might as well move Clemson to Columbia, as there are as many Charleston v. Columbia (and vise versa) people as there are clemson v. Carolina.

another thing is Charleston (and Greenville spartanburg) are growing cities where as Columbia is pretty stagnat in growth, I can see Chalreston Metro population overtaking Columbia Metro pop. within ten years.

I dont really like the idea of moving clubs anyhow, kind of goes with what I was saying in my last post, I know the club needs to at least break even every now and then, but if they moved I would feel like they thought of me as a consumer and not a supporter.

But your right both Clemson and Carolina have good programs as well as Furman, Coastal Carolina and College of Charleston. College soccer is very healthy in the state.

19. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Anything in Columbia is destined for failure, IMHO.

20. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Now that is kidn of selfish, but I do understand, I wouldnt be happy if they moved my team away from my city anyway.

In El Salvador, Aguila is from San Miguel, the third biggest city in the country, but bc of the dominance of our club, people think we have more fans in the Capital, San Salvador which is the biggest city in the country. Sometimes our games are taken to the capital bc there is more money to be made... international matches, when our stadium gets a fine bc of bad fan behavior.

What about the Battery starts building fans around the states. Having games vrs USC Varsity or Alumni can help. Maybe getting the best players in Columbia Mans League to play a friend match vrs the team.

The Carolina Preason Cup where they bring teams from MLS could be played in Columbia too.

Here is another idea. The Galaxy usually have "futbolito" Tournaments in the name of the Galaxy where a lot of youth academies and adult leagues around Los Angeles participate, why cant the Battery do that in Columbia?

Bringing a few preason games or exhibition games to Columbia isnt a bad idea, having a preseason tournament between Coastal, Clemson, USC, COFC, maybe even Spartanburg can participate since they are a pretty good program I heard.

Just a few ideas, at least you will be able to see how the Columbia soccer fans respond to the sport, and to the club.

Haha I can talk soccer all day long.

21. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so can I fortunatley they havent put the firewall up on this site at work.

The Battery usually does play several preseason matches against local colleges, they usually are local though. in fact last years match against Duke turned pretty scappy. I dont know if we will see them again next year!

I would be interesting to have a few matches up in the "graveyard"

I also like the Idea of some senior youth camps or something of the soret

22. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't call it the "Armpit of the State" for nothing....:D

23. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was trying to be kind... LOL

24. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    A Battery "Mens Cup" in the State of South Carolina would only get together hardcore soccer fans around the state and possible new battery fans. They need to sponosor USC and Clemson games too.

What about my gente? :confused:

There is a few Salvadorans in Greenville, there is a huge Colombian community there too, a lot of good looking Colombianas ;)

Columbia has a HUGE Mexican Crowd and the next I think is Honduran.

Having a little preseason tournament with CD Aguila, Olimpia, Cruz Azul, and America de Cali wouldnt hurt.

Actually one of my Colombian friends used to play for America de Cali, yeah he used to play pro in Colombia, he went to USC I think.

The Carolina Cup would be much more interesting if not only MLS teams were invited but maybe a team from Honduras, a team from Colombia, and of course a team from Mexico... Idk if you guys have any problem with latinos but this idea just means profit.. and I mean who doesnt like the word profit? :cool:

25. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem with it. Friendlies against different teams would be cool to.