MLS Attendance Analysis: Week 10

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Yoshou, May 16, 2011.

1. harry callahan

Jul 15, 2007
    Angel City Brigade
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Apologies for putting my last post in the wrong thread, i have deleted it.

2. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have always seen PPL Park listed as 18,500 seats (as it is on the Union home page), so I consider that the threshold for a sell-out. But interestingly the attendance at this year's home game against the Red Bulls was 19,027 (which set a record), and then subsequently against Los Angeles it was 19,178 -- a new record. I believe the additional sales come from the field level seats, which aren't permanent, and also from the "party decks," which I don't know much about but I think are geared towards group sales.

3. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I'm not disagreeing with you but at the same time it could have been worse.

we have had a certain group of fans who came to Crew stadium and tore up the seats and laughed about it. Not going to name any names but I'm just saying it could have been worse.

4. zarcone9

zarcone9 Member

Sep 17, 2004
    bruccaline
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    Aruba
    Any word on attendance projections for dallas and/or colorado?

5. IceFunk

IceFunk Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    From our experiences the past several years...the Timbers Army is about prevention...not after the matter.

Not only do we take our soccer extremely serious, but also our supporters' interests too.

We have been described as the friendliest to visit. Your pint will never be empty pre/post match at the pub.

We absolutely love visitors, but during the match, we are focused on supporting our team, not bullshitting with the opposing supporters in our section, end of story.

6. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I'm not trying to argue but if it were me i would be more pissed if an opposing supporters were on purposely trying to destroy the seating in the stadium.

7. IceFunk

IceFunk Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    It takes a week to fix a broken bench.

It takes years to smash a soccer stereotype that potentially could have popped up again...then, to regain trust from various front offices (at least here in Cascadia, not sure about other places).

If I had to, I'll take #1.

8. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Well i guess you didn't see what that lead too. lol

But all in all your team played a good game and my friends have enjoyed being around the timbers fans so i'd like to thank you guys for showing them a good time.

Lets just throw it up as a miss understanding.

9. Brazbit

Brazbit BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 1, 2009
    Manchester, WA (USA)
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh there is always a chance.

Seattle Times

10. IceFunk

IceFunk Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    sounds good.

cheers.

11. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Cheers buddy

12. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001

Why would you do any of those things? That makes no sense to me.

13. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the MLS Site:

Tor at Col attendance was: 13598

14. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  15. flem16

flem16 Rainmaker

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the highlights on the MLS website and the place looked fairly empty. Then I saw the 27K number and knew someone was using some creative math. This article pretty confirms that thought.

"The most disappointing aspect of the match was all of the visibly empty seats at the HDC, the announced sellout crowd of 27,000 notwithstanding. Los Angeles sports crowds are notorious for being late-arrivers, but considering that Landon Donovan called Chivas the "hottest team in the league" this past week and considering that the Galaxy are riding high atop the Western Conference standings, it was somewhat unsettling to spot sections full of empty seats for the better part of a match..."

16. ChrisV323

ChrisV323 Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first 20 min...Hdc was like half empty...by minute 30 it was packed...I WAS THERE!!!

17. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was there too and it was packed. Maybe it's a Chivas thing to come late, I'm not sure. But it was 27k easy, more with the grass berm.

18. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    MLS could get really creative with its attendance figures like some college football teams do. I know that Penn State counts everybody in the stadium (fans, vendors, police, media, etc) as part of its crowd count.

19. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    No, there to support the team. That is done by creating an atmosphere that inspires your team and has the reverse effect on the opposition. As a visiting fan, you should NEVER enter the home supporters section.

20. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Agreed... if you just want to watch the game, you can do so at home on your couch. Replays of all the scenes, you can grab yourself a beer from the fridge whenever you want to, etc. Half the fun of watching the game live is to take in the atmosphere, which will be better when each team's fans actively fire the players up, and that's what the supporters' section is for. It's bad enough when you have fans of your own team just sitting on their hands in the supporters' section - let alone some jackass from the other team!