MLS Attendance Analysis after 76.8% played

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Andy_B, Sep 10, 2007.

1. broder

broder Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Mission
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She already knew the answer, 80% of her posts have something to do with KC and attendance.

2. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the opposite end of things, I'm finding myself thinking about two to three years from now.

In 2009 and 2010, we could see the following:

RSL have their first full year in their stadium.
    RBNY have their first full year in their stadium.
    San Jose have their stadium opening.
    Kansas City have their stadium opening.
    Two or all three of Seattle/St. Louis/Philadelphia joining the league, St. Louis and Philadelphia with stadiums.
    Toronto expanding their stadium.

And, if something suddenly falls into place, DC or Houston could also have a stadium.

In each of these cases, we're looking at a minimum of 18,000. In just 3 years, we could very well be seeing MLS averaging 17,000, and a median nearing that number.

3. houstondynamofan

houstondynamofan Red Card

May 7, 2006
    houston,tx
    Thanks for the info.

4. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami was dissolved because it's owner bailed (Horowitz didn't have the kind of financial resources other owners had).

5. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    Toronto helped us in our goal to beat the 1996 median. Now I'm looking at the New England crowd and I'm thinking that they're going to help as well. This is one of those games we needed to have in order to reach that goal.

6. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    15,289!!!!! It made it. Not the 16-17k I thought it might be based on visuals but it's still higher then the 15,100 we need.

7. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    Horowitz just didn't want to spend any more of his money. I'll be surprised if South Florida gets back in any time soon. Orlando maybe?

8. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    As of right now (and using that 16,063 number for the missing Columbus game)....

average = 16,014
    median = 14,640

9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus at KC: 10,217
    NY at Chicago: 20,586

Both over. Things are looking good.

But I have doubts about your giving 20,000 for the Chicago at Dallas game.

10. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    there is ABSOLUTELY no way that there were even half of that 10,000 at the KC game. I know how it is said that you can't go by what you see on tv because you only see one side, but HDNet showed a panning shot of the entire stadium. I've been at rapids games that had more people than that KC game that announced less than 6000.

11. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are misinterpreting what lawrenceterp is trying to predict with his list.

He is trying to predict median, not average. Go back and reread his post and see what 10,000 and 20,000 mean. It is not a hard number. He is simply rounding up to 20k for games he is sure will beat the 1996 median, and rounding down to 10k for games he is sure will not hit the 1996 median. He is not trying to predict exact attendances.

12. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the clarification. To be honest, I read his post several times, and didn't really understand what he was doing. I think I understand now.

The reason I'm not entirely confident in my understanding is more that I don't see how it's a good methodology.

But I often get lost when these thread delve into more detailed statistics.

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh. Wait. Median.

I get it now. I'm a little slow sometimes.

14. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10K announced attendance, 350 estimated attendance.

[​IMG]
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/12/AR2007091201874.html

15. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff. The number that stuck out is that this year has the lowest % of sub-10,000 attendance games. It's that consistency that is good to see.

16. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
  17. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm like U houstondyniemoe fan, I'm angry beyond all words, disgusted, embarassed that all teams don't average 27,000 a game.... it's an outrage to the beautiful game itself and the only way to correct this outrage is to fold all teams not averaging at least 27,000 a game, to protect the integrity of the sport.

I have trouble getting to sleep, with such anger, knowing that MLS has disgraced my sport by not folding. My friends laugh everyday at soccer, because they don't average Michigan Football numbers for their games.... How can we ever be taken seriousily? No wonder soccer is the 35th most popular game in America, just behind checkers, and right ahead of Sink My Battleship....

Can we start a petition now asking for MLS to cease operations immediately? It's the only way credibility will ever return to our beloved sport.

18. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    [​IMG]

Aww come on now... If you had been suckered into purchasing a 12, 16, 20 game pack (or whatever packages they sold) to watch the Cubbies or Mets come to town because that is the only way you could see them, would you be dumb enough to watch a game they played against the Nationals during a regular season game? A pathetic team from DC playing a pathetic team like the Marlins????:eek:

19. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had comment in the Post today that said half of the people in attendance had taken a wrong turn at the 12th green.

But those seats have cup holders! How can you not attend games there?

20. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    move the nationals

21. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I was there, and thought it was a legit number. The bottom bowl at Arrowhead seats 35,000.

22. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it's move the Marlins.

23. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    I don't want to step on Andy's toes so I wont post the actual numbers, but....every measure that he is collecting went in the right direction. The average and median both had significant jumps. Four of eight games were over 20k and none were below 10k. Even better, is that I'm looking at next week's games. We have eight games again and it's looking like we might duplicate it almost exactly. There is a really great shot at having 4 games over 20k and none below 10k.

24. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry snazzy, gut bomb knows better than u..... he's got houstondynie moe to back him up..

25. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I guess one of us is better than the other at estimating crowd size.

The ends were deserted and the sides were sparsely populated. This was in the middle of the 2nd half.

There is no way the lower bowl was even close to 1/3rd full.