MLS as working class heros?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by midwestsurfer, Aug 8, 2006.

1. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    So I ran into a British x-pat today, if you want to read the full encounter, go for it here.

But otherwise, let me sum up.

British players, Chelsea especially, are over hyped and over paid for what they do. Especially when a team of journeymen working class players can be described as faster and stronger, and defeat the supposed best team in England.

That MLS is still an honest league, in which most players play just for the love of the game, because the pay isn't always very good and there is little chance of celebrity.

Do you think that this is true at all? I actually found myself defending Chelsea to him, even as I soaked up and loved what he was saying. Because true or not, it certainly sounded good.

2. Steele

Steele New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    It is a little of both:

Chelsea playersare over-paid, but so is the rest of the Premiership and other big leagues. Chelsea is the most over-paid, mainly because their owner doesn't care about losing money.

If you took a team of MLS All-Stars and let them play in the EPL for a season chances are very good that they would not get relegated.

However, their combined salary would be less than all other clubs in the EPL and most if not all of the CCC as well.

I think that most of the MLS players play because they love the game, but at the same time the strive for something more whether it be a bigger contract, fame, a chance to play overseas, ect.

However, I doubt the vast majority of players at Chelsea play soccer only for the money and fame. I am sure if the most any player could make was $50,000 that most of those same players would still be playing soccer.

3. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    heroes is going a bit far

4. eplkewell

eplkewell Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I would be willing to play MLS for less money. But yes, they are heroes.

5. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    it's my favorite part about MLS.

all that crap about Beckham exceptions are making me cringe :)

6. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I can almost see the Bud Light 'Real American Hero" commercial already...