MLS Announcements at MLS Cup

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by nick, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This link has a lot of good info on the league and FC Dallas. Their town hall meetings are incredible compared to what we have here in Denver, a sales rep calling me once a week. Look for the roster/reserve league announcements at the cup.

2. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    In order of likelihood.

Adidas deal
    Reserve clubs
    New International rules
    Two team expansion targetted for 2007
    S. Jose decision for 2006 will be finalized in June 2005
    Metro Stadium aproved
    Real Madrid playing in MLS All Star game for 2005

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to hear that again.

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well i think we can eliminate that pssibility now

5. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's hoping announcements are coming on:

Reserve Squads

Expanded Rosters

Increased Salary Cap

and

Real Bona-Fide Owners for Quakes

and

A Happy Ending for Harrison Stadium

6. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    What is the official word on when the bond vote may take place?

It would be in character for them to lie about this too and sneak the vote in early, just to get the satisfaction one more lie.

7. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    I predict that Garber will announce the sale of the MetroStars to Club America and their impending move to Houston.

8. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    1. Adidas Deal (I'd expect the marketing director or even overall head of North American operations for Adidas to be present and speak too)
    2. Realignment
    3. Dallas, Chicago, Colorado stadium situations
    4. "We continue to work on the San Jose and MetroStars issues and will comment further on those in due course..."
    5. Increased sponsorship money, TV ratings, attendance (whether these have actually increased I don't know, but MLS will try to spin as best as they can)
    6. Reserve Teams/Project 40
    7. Maybe something else that I couldn't possibly guess about at this point.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Perfect, Garber should use this as his outline. These are the issues. Perhaps a little blurb in number 7 about expansion after 2005. Now that we've added two teams, what's the next goal for expansion. Maybe he'll tell us the goal is to add two more teams in 2007. Just a little something to get us big soccer junkies speculating endlessly for a few months until the next season starts.

10. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    The adidas deal is up at mlsnet.com

11. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps show off the uniforms for RSL and Chivas? Seems camera friendly, I dunno

12. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    CBA?

They've been saying "close" for over a year now.

13. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I would like to hear:

1) Sunil Gulati is no longer involved with MLS or US Soccer in any way
    2) Nick Sakewicz has resigned due to pressure from the former New Jersey Governor.
    3) Clint Mathis is returning to MLS - Real Salt Lake.
    4) Revolution moving to Hartford.

okay that's my wish list...

14. jgoal5

jgoal5 Member

Apr 4, 2001
    LV-PA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    1) Adidas Deal
    2) Attendance Up
    3) TV ratings among 24-35 male age group is up
    4) San Jose Staying
    5) Frisco Opening in '05
    6) Chicago Stadium in '06
    7) Colorado Stadium in '07
    8) Real and Chivas in '05
    9) Expansion coming again, but no deadline on when
    10) DC stuff
    11) KC stuff
    12) HDC sold out for Final

Probably a few other small things. Don't expect ground-breaking stuff on rules, divisions, reserve teams, etc. If that stuff is being discussed in league meetings on Thurs. or Fri., then it is highly unlikely that anything final will make the speech that was prepared sometime in the last two weeks.

15. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    All this stuff, plus 9) Expansion coming again, but I'm going to go out on a limb (even though I fully expect myself to be wrong) and guess he'll hint at expansion in '06 and '07, and name San Antonio as the frontrunner. I've heard/read than Garza is offering an SSS as a bone to bring a team in, and if MLS has any interest San Antonio (which is an urban market with a large hispanic population offering an SSS) they will want to make interest known while Garza is still in office. Anyway, it's a thought.

16. thedeuce_2

thedeuce_2 New Member

May 22, 2002
    Virginia
    LMAO!!!! Congrats ElJefe... you have just been honored with the BigSoccer Boards quote of the year! That's the funniest thing I've ever seen on here. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Collective bargaining agreement (CBA) has already been mentioned this week,but I think Garber will tout this even more. This is a big deal not only for the players, but for potential investors who can now calculate the going cost of salaries, benefits, etc. and not have uncertainty.
    I also think Club America will be going in somewhere in 2006, and maybe Seattle, too.

18. cjschlos

cjschlos Member

Jan 21, 1999
    New York
    When is Garber's State of the Union...its usually sometime today right? Is there an audio or video link?

19. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a little funnier when he said it last year. Since then it's repeated usage has dulled down the humor a little bit...

20. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    You should watch tv or listen to the radio. You can hear this tired joke 17-45 times every single day, told exactly the same way.

21. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    At first I was thinking next expansion would probably be in '07, but the more I think about it, the more I agree we're likely to see more expansion in 2006. Not saying I'm for or against it, but I think there's a good chance we're going to see it, and I think Garber will mention it. So many markets/groups were interested in expansion '05 that just couldnt get everything together in time - with a year to get their stuff together these same groups will be knocking at the door. Club America will really want in in '06 in S.A. or Houston, and MLS won't expand to an odd number so Garber may mention Seattle/Rochester or a darkhorse of some sort. Wouldn't surprise me to hear '06 discussed in the announcements.

22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would really be a surprise and very wise for the ABC braodcast is DMB's CL goal for PSV. Show the PSV supporters climbing the fence in joy as a Chicago product of this 9 season old league has delivered the alegria. Then Garber could elaborate that because of MLS, more moments like this are sure to come from future generations. He should sound off in ALL CONFIDENCE that MLS is here to stay.
    Challenge the nation's youth to get serious about the game. For sure now, our small wage domestic league is being scouted and it CAN lead you to playing in large wage Europe.

IMHO, the youth talent in our nation need to be hungrier. DMB's goal, the noise and the fans reactions needs to be the poster child of the MLS/Addidas/Garber marketing approach. The youth talent will filter themselves as they can truely believe MLS is the first step to whatever dreams they have. Iron sharpens iron!

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. And the only reason I posted it is because I knew that someone would eventually, so I just wanted to get it out of the way.

24. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Is there a video clip of that goal somewhere?

25. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well there will be a coin toss at MLS cup to decide who goes first in the expansion draft, RSL or Chivas. Then whoever goes first in the expansion draft will get the second pick in the super draft. I don't know if that counts as an announcement, but that is something that will occur at MLS Cup.