MLS and Counter Culture

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by jomario, May 28, 2009.

1. wheezl

wheezl Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Livorno, Italy
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool thanks.

I noticed I didn't include a link to GorillaFC

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=50202180457
    http://www.gorillafc.com/

It being the USA there is probably only a core group of Anarchist, Communist, and Antifa folks surrounded by more garden variety prog-lefties that like a good party.

2. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    I think theres a really cool documentary waiting to be made about MLS supporters groups. Like a domestic version of this.......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k79qxqLlbdc"]YouTube - Gringos at the Gate - Trailer[/ame]
    Gimme a couple years and I might be able to churn it out myself. Haha.

I can picture it now. Talking heads with some of the original Barra Brava, ESC, and S8. Track down that semi-legendary polish capo that I keep hearing about that moved back to Poland.
    Get some old footage and pics. Interview Peter Wilt and Kevin Payne. Some old players and get their views. Some retired players and their views on supporter culture. Even have talks with those FO's who are less supportive of SG's like Colorado and Dallas. Maybe talk with some security guards and their opinion.
    Embed cameras with groups on road trips like Toronto at Crew. All without descending to Danny Dyer/Dougie Brimson self-parody. I mean, there has to be some great stories from each supporters group that should be documented. Like the great breading of Stoichkov in Chicago, ACES or the whole ZOLO/Scarf Machine thing from SOB's. :D

I dunno, it wouldn't have the stench of being a MLS PR puff piece. But it would also show that theres something going on, that's different from the fan experience of the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB.

Sorta like dogtown and zboys and the king of kong. Sorta. How it draws people into a subculture the mainstream had no idea about and at least at the end of it people know about it. Although you'd might pickup a few people in MLS cities that have just never considered it, but might be drawn in.

Once in a lifetime is another example, since I had honestly no clue about the NASL before I saw it. Since you know, I was born in 1985 and my first memory of soccer is watching the 1994 world cup final. I'm from that generation.

3. CharlieBohs36

CharlieBohs36 New Member

Olympique Marseille
    Senegal
    Apr 1, 2017
    7.11 years in the FUTURE.......
    CREW GALAXY REVOLUTION are established international teams, and the clubs did not at all cater to the alternative crowd. GO FO. I mean Red White and Blue Revs wtf? Frankly, I thought it was catering to the right, because only they could come up with and like such ignorant crap. Kind of like the XFL.
    Soccer has always been an alternative sport in US, due to season conflicts for most athletes. Also, to like soccer, you usually had to play it. If you played it, you had to live with the fascist "it's a pussy sport for immigrants", which conservative players abided to, and to which liberals defied, embodying the power of universal communication/cooperation. In my opinion, we see the success of teams that have that power (Timbers) and it is the defeat of ignorant American Nationalism that has built the MLS to what it is today.
    But yeah, let's see, would you rather have 250 hardcore supporters or 20,000 sheep? I'm taking the 250 h/c, because they eat sheep for snacks. I'm guessing you like MAN U, Real M, Inter M, and think you're the _ cuz you bought a Lucero album on AMAZON. If you are scared of the punx, maybe you should stick to Baseball, or better yet, amFootball. You don't have to worry, there, your fascist concern is safe (except in Baltimore).
    I would rather have dedicated support, such as they have in Europe. Finally, we are getting mature enough to have Timbers v. Sounders politics, and ATLANTA is getting support all over the world for the Circle A. I am a diehard Baltimore/Philly fan, and I LOVE ATL UNITED. Y? Believe me, I don't like the South. It's because they actually are using correct anarchist propaganda, which rings true to a city with a rich history of social inequality. Oh, and Philly uses a rattlesnake (Which I own as a pet), which is too close to the Tea Party b/s.
    JUST LOOK AT ATLANTA..... btw Silverbacks forged United, even if their ultras wanna hate.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  4. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's a flaming hot take. Please be careful around our interstates if you ever come down to a game pls.

5. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Weird but interesting thread bump. Growing up in the 90s I did often see soccer as an "alternative" sport a la skateboarding. More because of its lack of mainstream attention, though, then because of anything having to do with rowdy Euro-style supporters groups singing and drinking and all that.

6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The issue is MLS and its member teams don't really desire to represent or propose any, actual meaningful challenge to the status quo hegemony, making any claims to being a counter-culture ultimately hollow and ironic. Soccer / MLS is not a little guy that wants to protect other little guys -- it's a little guy hoping to be a big guy, someday and is, in the meantime, doing its best impression of a big guy. So all we're talking about is what propaganda (I mean, marketing) we can use to get people to feel like they're doing something radical and politically meaningful when they are just paying $13 for a GMO-laden hot dog.

Calling on teams to "be punk rock" sorta underscores the point, since punk rock lost most of its counter-cultural cache nearly 20 years ago or whenever it was that I could go to the mall and buy pre-ripped shirts, a studded belt and a Pikachu t-shirt in the same store.

CAllen91 repped this.
  7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Atlanta U has some sorta hincha culture I will volunteer for that one way Mars expedition! HAHA!!!
    Old Ruckus die hards must chuckle at such new to the scene haters.

8. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF have I been reading?

The Franchise, matbluvenger and CAllen91 repped this.