MLS All-Stars

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by stanger, Jul 28, 2015.

1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So many attacking players.

3. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Lampard was already replaced by Dax McCarty.

This round is:
    Out:
    Bradley
    Gerrard
    Keane
    Tierney

In:
    Finlay
    Francis
    Cronin
    Juninho
    Zardes

4. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    So our three best players this season get to go and piss around in a meaningless game in Colorado before flying down and playing in Orlando Saturday night.

Triffic. They should have claimed to be "injured"

5. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't see how this is a bad thing. They won't go a full 90 so shouldn't be wore out and get a chance to perform among the leagues best. We haven't had 3 guys in an all star game for a very long time.

6. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's only a bad thing in that they won't be practicing with the team and preparing for Orlando. Or, you know, if anyone gets injured.

Placid Casual repped this.
  7. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    Are we always grumpy if we dont have an allstar and grumpy if we have an allstar? When was the last time we had 3....and when was the last time we had 3 that might actually see the field?

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  8. odave

odave Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Lampson and Swanson are on the bench in the Homegrown vs Club America U20s game. Stream here:

9. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Or, you know, it's highly unlikely there would be any sort of injuries and few days away from the team isn't going to make or break the season.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  10. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that this is a little off-topic, but what does everyone think of the idea being bandied about to go back to Eastern Conference versus Western Conference with home field in MLS Cup on the line?

I'm against it. I don't like the championship home field being determined by the all-star game result in baseball and don't want to see the idea come to soccer. Also, I like the idea of the MLS All-Stars facing a foreign team.

11. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd prefer East vs West, but no home field advantage. I don't give two shits about some European team having their first preseason friendly here.

Bill Archer, zman31, djtrinidad and 3 others repped this.
  12. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, the whole idea of an all star game in the middle of the season is kind of silly. It's just an attempt to Americanize the game and it really doesn't fit very well.

Robbo Crewfan, KCbus and DAFCrew repped this.
  13. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    Id like to go back to east vs west, and Id prefer to see them do something like hockey with a skills competition.

Kyle Crew, djtrinidad and eboe repped this.
  14. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    1. I'd be fine with getting rid of it.

2. If it has to stay no way should it determine where any meaningful games are played.

3. At least move it to the end of the year like the Pro Bowl; with fixture congestion we don't need an all star break, which doesn't really happen anyway. Columbus will never get the all star game because it will be too cold? I'm unmoved, don't have it here ever then.

4. If the 2022 goal is a real goal at what point does pitting your all stars against a single team from another league become counter productive?

15. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    East vs West - YES. I hate this current format.

16. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EvW with skills challenge but nothing on the line re: home field advantage. That really does belong to the team with the stronger season record. I think I got season tickets right when they changed the format (2006) because wasn't 2005 EvW at CCS? Isn't that the one where Jeff got a yellow for jumping in the stands?

17. svc641

svc641 Member+

Aug 19, 2014
    West Liberty
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if the youtube videos are still up, but the skills competition, when they did have it was pretty stupid. I think Zach Thornton kicked a ball at 70 mph from the penalty spot. It was extremely similar to the NHL's skills competition. Also, few went to the skills competition day.

18. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I think they said Thornton hit it at 80 mph. I remember a young Landon Donovan winning the slalom (dribbling the ball through cones).

19. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    I dont want them to copy the hockey skills comp like they tried way back in the early days. They can create fun things (more things for the fans to see the players as people) They can do stuff like soccer volleyball/tennis (mini team tourny). Make it fun, make it pointless, and make it entertaining. I dont want everything to be so serious.

20. svc641

svc641 Member+

Aug 19, 2014
    West Liberty
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly one of the events they had and it was all in good fun. It was bad to watch.

21. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think with the influx of legitimate star players, playing against the likes of Tottenham. When they started doing this format (except against CD Chivas), it made sense since it was a big deal to the players to play against this type of competition. Now a guy like Kamara has already done so, and that's not even to mention guys like David Villa.

If it was against a truly elite team, like Bayern or Barca, then this format could still make some sense. Otherwise east vs. west would be just as good.

Personally, I wouldn't care too much either way if the game determined MLS Cup location. I like the idea of it in theory to make it somewhat meaningful, but I could take it or leave it.

22. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's more about TV contracts. Has been since the beginning. Outside of (American) football, there are very few sports events with national footprint interest/audience. All star games are one of those.

23. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems like a reaction against the current format. But I don't know if people remember just how silly the East versus West games WERE. They were barely even soccer. Nobody really gave a full effort, nobody played any defense, and it just felt forced.

The exhibition matches against foreign clubs may have run their course, but I can't think of any scenario where I would want to go back to the East versus West format. We already have a format for watching MLS players play against MLS players. It's called the season. The league is serious enough now and the schedule is long enough now that I'd rather just scrap the completely meaningless farce altogether.

ZipSix and cleazer repped this.
  24. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    Why does it have to be a serious game? Its more of a chance for players to get some face time. The MLS vs someone has ref run its course. the old east v west hasn't been around since before 2004. its time to try east v west again

25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Face time with whom? Fans who already watch MLS? Who's going to watch an all-MLS affair that isn't already watching MLS?