MLS All-Stars to play 08/23 vs Real, Open Cup 1/4s in danger?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jul 21, 2005.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to start a separate thread for this for those that might care.

MLS All-Stars to play Real Madrid, August 23rd

So basically, if we win on the 3rd (when we win) ... we'd be playing the Mutts/Rhinos in the 1/4 final of a tournament without 5 starters.

No confirmation from MLS for this yet. Please please please come to your senses. Maybe this is revenge for last year. Pull out at the last minute!

2. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    great, another meaningless game for our starters to waste their time with

3. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I wonder what Clint Dempsey would rather do?

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully, he'd rather help his teammates in a game that actually matters.

Hopefully.

5. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    The thing I miss most about Adrian Healey no longer being with the Revs broadcast team is his statement that occurred much more than we would have liked. We'd be up one or tied in the late stages of a match and we'd concede a backbreaking goal, and there was no doubt that our friend Adrian would sum up all our feelings by yelling that it was "disaster for the Revolution."

That statement, in that accent, is what came to my head when I read this news.

6. rorvis

rorvis New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    UT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Note: The article says "an all-star team", so maybe it's a "best of who is available." It may not have to be the same players as the MLS All-Star game. I know it's a technicality, but hopefully this means our players don't have to go (or can be forced to stay for the Open Cup game if necessary)

I'm sure they'd enjoy the chance though.

7. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Sorry, but I'm guessing he would rather play in the Berenbeau (sp?) and have a chance to impress a european scout.

Unfortunately, the USOpen Cup isn't such a meaningful prize that it would overwhelm the opportunity for a fun/valuable personal experience.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's hoping.

Most likely this will also cause the players to miss one MLS game ... and if it's the same team as the All-Star game, FCD and Revs fans have the right to be pissed.

9. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because the Tony Frias joke was too easy

Cool, we can send Greg Lalas.

10. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Why do so many people call these matches that do a lot to promote and give exposure to MLS "meaningless"..
    It appears the largest international press core in the history of any MLS match was at the HDC Monday night and the largest TV audience in the history of MLS for one thing..
    While it didn't count in the standings I at least wouldn't call it meaningless..

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may not have been meaningless in regards to dollars and advertising and marketing, which I fully understand is very important.

But I'm a fan. I want my team to play matches that matter at full strength.

If the league is going to charge me full price for a ticket when they've taken away four or five of my teams starters ... maybe they should be selling the tickets for 44-55% off, since we're not seeing our full team anyway.

12. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monday night's game didn't require several of your best guys to miss a game that counts towards a trophy, nor did it require a transatlantic trip just before one or two are called for serious international duty. Both of these are distinct possibilities for the Revs: Should we beat Chicago 8/3, we'll have an Open Cup game on the 24th for which Reis and Joseph would be critical, to say nothing of Demps, Noonan, and Twellman; ten days later it's US/Mexico, and I wouldn't bet against Dempsey getting called to camp for that. FCD, similar spot, as they may also be still pulling for the Open Cup at the end of the month, and if he's healthy, EJ will get the WCQ call.

I'd be okay with this if it were the regular All-Star game here stateside in July, as was supposed to happen last year, but this is just disastrous timing.

13. Aquarius21

Aquarius21 New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my two cents about that. I think MLS has to be careful about this game because not only will teams have open cup games and regular season games to play, but that also falls between the T&T and Mexico qualifiers. Depending on who Bruce calls into camp (and yes, there's a possibility Dempsey, Noonan, and Ralston are called in) the starters wanted in this second all-star game may not be available. I realize it will be between qualifiers, but I also expect that Bruce would want to keep everyone in camp to get ready for Mexico. IMO, there's no sense in dispersing camp after T&T to just have to call everyone back in for Mexico.

There's too much going on during this month and next month, and I feel MLS has made a big mistake in scheduling another all-star game. Isn't one enough?

14. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I fully understand that.. ;) Just the "meaningless" part that bothers me. The league needs exposure and a lot more of it..

15. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo. When I read the wire service report this morning, I had to blink a couple of times: "Wait, August 23? Of this year? Not, like, a plan for next year because they were satisfied with their recent visit? Oh, no..."

16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd be willing to bet MLS gets a nice chunk of change for this otherwise I would think they would be smart enought to say no thanks, too much on our plates.
    Monty touched on this earlier, lets pray that its not the same all star team that is playing Fulham

17. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    An all-star team simply will be 11 individuals on the field, against one of the top TEAMS around. Somewhat of a miss-match! It takes a while for 11 people to gel into a team, Real IS a team, this could backfire and just show the world that the MLS is truely 2nd or 3rd rate, after all, even their best of the best couldn't stay with a European team.

18. I agree with this. I attended the Galaxy/Real match and was initially thrilled to hear about MLS/Real, UNTIL I SAW THE DATE. I'm not all that concerned about USOC, but how well is the MLS team going to do? Assume several teams (and USMNT) insist on keeping the best players out, I don't see any way the group will have enough time to train together and be able to compete against Real Madrid. The only chance they'd have not to be slaughtered would be Real holding back its top stars, but that would defeat the purpose of the match.

19. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    Bruce will have no choice but to allow the players to return to their clubs between the games, unless the MLS clubs agree to allow him an extended camp, but why would they when the clubs have missed players for so many games already.

Some googling turned up the fifa rules concerning clubs releasing players for national team duty: FIFA Regulations Regarding the Eligibility and Release of International Players

Some interesting snipets:
    So Bruce can start camp for the T&T game (Weds 8/17) on Sunday Aug 14, and for the Mexico/Guat games (start Sat 9/3) on Weds 8/31.
    So unless Bruce gets special permission, the only games we will miss Nats players for the remaining season (after friday v. Chivas) are:

@COL, Weds 8/17
    @RSL, Sat 9/3
    @KC, Sat, 10/8

As for this all-star game in madrid, I'm sure players would love to play in that game instead of in front of a few thousand fans in an USOC game, but the league should probably limit any team still in the USOC from having to send more than two players. I am a fan of the USOC but it is not a big money maker for the league, and this Real game might be.

20. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    This match isn't meaningless, but it's pretty damn close, and it seems more of a "kiss and make up" effort on the part of Real Madrid after giving the shaft to MLS in 2004. Quite frankly, I'd say "thanks, but no thanks," as it would conflict with any number of significant and more important MLS, U.S. Open Cup, and international matches.

Let them find another group of players and or club to beat up on.

The Magpie

21. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monty, for once this month you are making good sense. (chuckle)

MLS may have a reasonable adjenda but it should never be at the expense of the local product and right now as a Rev fan I think the issue of "Call-ups" is starting to spin out of control.

22. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    MLS benefits, Real Madrid benefits, but the clubs and their supporters get screwed in this.

The Magpie

23. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS makes it official.

...which means it isn't necessarily the All-Star game squad. Hereby move the Rev delegation be Greg Lalas, Khano Smith, Jay Heaps's dog, and Slyde.

24. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: because the Tony Frias joke was too easy

I'm sure Greg would jump at the chance.

How about a MLS broadcasters all-star team?

Messing
    Michallak, Balboa, Doyle, Davis
    Sullivan, Schmid, Harkes, Rongen
    Wynalda, Wegerle

On the bench: Lalas, Hopkins, Keough, Dir, Hudson

Well, half a star anyways.

25. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: because the Tony Frias joke was too easy

Now that is an idea I could get behind!

I'd suggest an all-mascot team, but we wouldn't have a full bench, unless you included a couple Chiva Girls, some of LA's inflatable dolls, and Greg Lalas.