MLS All-Star Game [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kenntomasch, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Veronica Bashing

OKay I too was one of the Veronica naysayers, I had the chance to meet her on Friday at the Soccer Fest. She was late for the team bus leaving but still stayed back and took a picture with me and my friend. She seems to really care about MLS, I'm sure she doesn't get paid that much but seems to enjoy her job. By the way she looks really damn good in person (I mean really good! TV doesn't do her justice), I will no longer give this woman a hard time. Now if only everyone else actually had a chance to meet her, maybe the bashing would go to more deserved people.

2. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rubio - no talent trailer trash
    Paysee - nice looking, no talent

All-Star Game - bush league, and disappointing

I feel so sad for people that grow up only knowing "music" like Rubio's. The glory days of music (60's, 70's, and 80's) is long gone. The 90's were tolerable, but this Brittany-esque dance music is pure garbage.

3. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    Exactly what I was thinking.

And for all those complaining, I have a hunch that NOTHING could have pleased you, anyway.

4. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    I imagine this is paid for by a sponsor - say Pepsi. I'd agree with you, but if it adds one red cent to the bottom line MLS will keep doing it. I guess it added more than one red cent. They didn't cancel the halftime show. They just shortened the first half.

5. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hey, that first half was okay with me. That's less time Preki needs to play as we've got the CONCACAF Champions Cup first leg on Wednesday. Too bad they couldn't give Klein and Burns that extra 15 minutes of rest. :D

I loved Burns on the Etcheverry goal. "I could challenge this, but this is an All-Star game so screw it."

6. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    After players had cleared the field during the downpour, dozens of spectators leaped onto the field to cheers from the crowd. Most were chased back into the stands. Several were apprehended.

The first man onto the pitch sloshed across the entire pitch with a ball but was roundly booed for failing to finish while alone on the field.

Daily Soccer

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She was when I was standing 3 feet from her. Believe me.

Bush league? Sorry, you make do.

And one problem I see with holding the All-Star Game early enough to get European-based Nats involved is that as it stood, they gave up a weekend in August (which is traditionally one of, if not the worst month for MLS attendance) instead of giving up a weekend in July (which is traditionally a much stronger month for MLS attendance, even if a lot of it is because of July 4). Seems like you'd gladly give up a weekend in August to minimize the damage to the attendance figures.

My guess is that the TV ratings for this one are going to be really, really bad. Even for MLS.

Yes, Dema was an idiot, but, yes, he has played well this season.

8. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    You think those pepsi logos were just out there for the fun of it, sport?

9. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    if you live in DC why didn't you go to the game?

10. calcioplaya

calcioplaya New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    i went to the game it was the craziest thing ever. Durin the weather break evreyone was crowded in the hallways singin DC UNited and US songs it was ill. i loved it. im still tired
    and i still cant hear

11. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    I thought it was a great atmosphere too Calcio. Except for that brief moment when one guy was getting led away in 'cuffs.
    I didn't mind getting wet before the game was suspended but I am glad that Hall called it when he did because if you remember 10 minutes after that it was raining so hard you couldn't see the other side of the stadium. That's when I went to the concourse.

12. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    Good despite the Monsoon

Despite the rain and the delays it was a good game. All 31,000 fans at RFK decided to stick it out even though it appeared as if monsoon season followed the USMNT home from Korea. Just goes to show the level of enthusiasm for soccer here in the US.

Believe me, Hall made the right decision in delaying the game; with the lighting, high winds and pouring rain, the conditions were way too dangerous to continue. However the 50-minute wait in the concourse was more than worth it once play continued. Once the field drained in the second half, the players didn't disappoint with end-to-end action and some great goals.

BTW- What was up with that studs-up tackle on DMB by his teammate Kovalenko?

Yes it sucked that the game was shortened, but if you were there, you would understand that it was not the debacle that the MLB game was. Despite MLS's best efforts, they can't control the weather and let's face it, trying to fit a game that been delayed for that long onto TV is tough.

Feel sorry for the people who watched the game at home though. You missed all the on-filed antics during the delay. One fan ran onto the pitch with a soccer ball dribbled all the way to the other end, the crowd cheering him on, waiting for him to put it into the back of the net. He got inside the 18 then shanked the shot on an open net. Kept me laughing while I was waiting in the concourse for play to start.

All in all it was a good game, just unfortunate that the weather didn’t cooperate, really put a damper on a great chance for MLS to capitalize on the USMNT success in front of a national broadcast audience.

13. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    JR that field did not drain
    Though half the fun was watching the players sliding all over the place. I think the best one was that 30 second series in the second half when 4 different players fell down trying to dribble out of a pond by the sideline.

14. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    That was funny. It was almost like the ball was just stuck in the same puddle no matted how many times they kicked. Also Etcheverry's 20 yard slide on his butt in the second half was pretty good also.

BTW- Was I the only one worried that the stage would get stuck on the rain-softended field. It looked like they has troble dragging it off.

15. SoccerMavn

SoccerMavn Member

Oct 7, 1999
    On the pitch
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My local paper reported on the game, just under the tire ads as usual, with a headline like "All-Star Game Shortened To Make Room For Halftime Show."

MLS isn't alone in cheapening its premier matches--catch a Super Bowl lately?--but it doesn't make it right.

I haven't read through all ten pages of posts, but how's this for a suggestion: MLS all-stars v. a team of all-stars from around the rest of the world. Seeing how the all-star game is during most of the world's close season, it's conceivable that you could get players to come over for a long weekend in the States. And their club teams shouldn't be too concerned; just like the NHL all-star game, there isn't too much defense in these matches.

Thinking about it, the idea is probably not that workable. But it's worth a thought.

16. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    Marco's slide was pretty good especially since no one even touched him.

17. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    The rain part of the game was fun. But the lightning was flashing around the stadium before the match even started. I think they actually should have stopped it before they did, but in the end that worked out OK. Between the lightning and fierce winds it was really something. Luckily RFK has plenty of concourses that are safe from the weather.

The biggest mistake was the halftime show fiasco. Dragging that stupid stage across the waterlogged field left huge track marks. Yeah Pepsi's a big sponsor and all, but somebody's got to have a brain and just say no to destroying the field and making the dangerous conditions even more dangerous. Besides all of their commercials for her, I don't think anyone ever heard of Paulina Rubio before and likely we'll never hear of her again. I guess they really weren't appealing to the family audience with that either? Why did she even bother wearing shorts at all? I don't think anyone was there to see the halftime show, we were there to see soccer, period.

At least they did the right thing as far as playing 45 in the second half. And it was a pretty good game considering they only had like 1 practice together beforehand.

18. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    I was at the game. I agree with a poster that all future stadiums should have retractable roofs ala Seattle. No need for this weather crap; its 2002.
    It was mandatory for everyone to leave the lowerbowl due to possible lighting.

Paulina is average talent. The sound system at RFK needs improvement for music. She dressed real slutty and it was'nt really sexy. I thought it was cool when she arrived and exited on Harley Davisons Bikes.

The second half was entertaining with 5 goals and a lot of shots and saves. THree shots went off the posts. The crowd seemed a little confused whether to root for the U.S. or MLS. Both teams were the home squad. Mostly everyone cherred both teams when goals were scored. I saw a lot of soccer newbies enjoying the game. Drawback no more Foggy Bottom beers are being sold. That was the best beer that gave you a buzz.

19. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My local paper reported on the game, just under the tire ads as usual, with a headline like "All-Star Game Shortened To Make Room For Halftime Show." >>>>

Almost same headline in mine,and the article included a pionted comparsion to the MLB debacle. MLS screws up a chance for positive publicity.

20. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Not that there will be any soccer specific stadiums with rooves anytime soon but that's ridiculous. The game is meant to be played in all sorts of weather and shutting out weather conditions would be terrible for the sport. This isn't baseball or basketball.

21. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Shame on all of you who went to the concourse. In the future, don't call yourself a hardcore fan. :D You should have stayed out there with La Norte and the Barra Brava and kept on singing. We didn't leave until the security guards begged us to so they too could get out of the rain. We had a blast in the rain. Out of control. Completely out of control. My clothes still are soaked from yesterday. When we finally went to the concourse, all the little kids and soccer moms joined up in singing. In a way, singing there was one of the best parts of the match because a lot of people learned the words to some of the simple songs. And something like 95 percent of those who came stayed. And cheered.

For all of you who said it was bush league and meaningles, eff off. Sorry, but this was a real celebration of American soccer. The players were into it and all of them were trying pretty hard (within reason). We had a great atmosphere for the match. EVERYONE was into and cheering. Hopefully we can get that type of atmosphere for a real match one day.

I understand why they did the halftime show as well. Pepsi paid for it and that was a part of their program. On the plus side, it was the best wet T-shirt contest ever.

Sachin

22. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Brian, I gotta go against you on this one..

The lightning strikes around the stadium were enormous and very frequent.. As a matter of fact, the game was stopped not 30 seconds after one of the loudest strikes I have heard in recent memory just outside the stadium..

The safety of the players and the fans are paramount in this situation.. I should know, I was sitting about 25 feet away from a young woman who was struck by lightning in RFK stadium a few years ago at the Tibetan Freedom concert..

It was a partly cloudy day and clouds were starting to roll in but there was no evidence to suggest that a bolt of lightning could come out of nowhere to strike this woman, yet it did and I still to this day haven't set foot near that section of the stadium.. I sit in the mezzanine section well protected....

23. Mississippi Flash

May 19, 2002
    Mississippi
    I might have missed it, but did anybody notice that the USMNT defense collapsed when Burns and Lalas came in?

24. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    The game was descent, i wasn't pleased with the MLS's decisions on cutting the first half short, or with going on with the halftime show. The tire treads were just calling for an injury.

25. gibby_03

gibby_03 Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Ohio, USA
    I thought the funniest moment of the game was when the pyro tipped over after Paulina's performance, bottle rockets zipping right over the pitch! Almost caught the Pepsi balloon on fire too. I thought Paulina's ass was gonna bust right out of those shorts, she would have been better off just wearing a thong up there;) I really enjoyed the fanatic sections w/ the semi-big American flag and of course the huge DC United banner, looked great on TV. Cobi's goal was nice, great build up and a nice slide-by finish! Marco's goal was one of the best I've seen in a while, had to be a great day for him, although he nearly dropped the damn trophy after the match! Also, not that I'm complaining at all, but was Veronica trying to turn up the sexual innuendo by saying, "he's nice and sweaty and sticky..." Virtually ensuring masturbation-material for every guy, who was thinking, "I'd like to get her nice and sweaty, then I'd make her all sticky." Oh, sorry, maybe that was just me;) Nice shirt, Veronica...