MLS All-Star Game [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kenntomasch, Aug 3, 2002.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait until we see who's doing Sportscenter. There might be more. ;)

2. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any lipreaders out there who could gather what it was Bob Bradley was muttering after that play?

I think it would have been great if he'd gotten a Yellow Card (or Joe Cannon's take down of DMB earlier) in the All-Star Game.

3. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    I never watched an All-Star Game that was so frustrating to watch. It definitely improved in the second half and seemed like everyone had a good times though.

Some thoughts:
    POPE, CRACK A SMILE!
    DEMA SHOULD HAVE GOT A RED CARD! ;)
    EL DIABLO RULES!

4. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Yeah, he couldn't believe that one either. It would have been nice to see how many more guys DMB got around if it weren't for Dema's slide tackle FROM BEHIND. :rolleyes:

5. sequeira16

sequeira16 New Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    go to yahoo sports and click on the photos in the mls section. nice pic of bocanegra kneeing mcbride in the back :)

6. elephantstone

elephantstone Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Well, I guess we all know why Chicago always has injury problems now -- Dema hacks them all in practice.

If he had done that to someone from another team, I'd have said he was a cheater. Since he did it to his most talented teammate, I'll now say he's just freaking insane.

7. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    In case you were keeping score:

Klein 2-0 over Beasley.

8. wunderkid

wunderkid New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Chicago
    Yeah, with an assist by Etcheverry for the bump off.

9. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    Ruiz and Twellman got raw deals.

They were the 2 voted in by the players, fans, coaches, and media... yet they played under 30 minutes (of which a third was in sweltering heat, a third in a torrential dowpour, and a third on an absolutely soaked field) while Kreis and Graziani got full 45s. Kreis and Graz should've waited till about 60' to come in, or should've been removed with 10 minutes to go.

You can say it doesn't matter, and granted it was a difficult situation to handle, but I believe those 2 players deserved greater respect and recognition for their phenominal seasons.

10. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    I loved Wolff's comment about his injury: "I think it's from playing on the turf in Chicago." :D

11. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Graziani was terrible. His usual complaining, hand gestures, and laziness were even noticeable in an All-Star Game. Would have much rather seen more of Twellman and I think everyone would agree.

12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Of course little people all over the world disagree, but big people KNOW:

Size does matter. :)

13. Newman

Newman New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Madison, WI
    A couple thoughts:

1) Yes, Dema is an idiot. In a perverse way though, I enjoyed the DMB tackle in that, compared with the last few All-Star games-Somebody cared. I'll take this year, even if the whole game was like the 1st half, over last year's farce.

2)Paulina Rubio. Craptacular.

3) It's a shame that players like Maissoneuve and Burns got more field time than Twellman and Ruiz.

4)Next year, find a relatively open spot on the calendar (not too close to Euro and Mexico seasons) and bring in a national team to play the MLS players. MLS vs. Costa Rica, or Uruguay, S. Korea, Scotland whoever. Or MLS vs a MFL all-star team. Something where the game is competitive. Anything but another 7-6 type game.

14. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Caption: Unlike his Fire teammate Dema Kovalenko, Bocanegra knows who is and isn't on his MLS club team.

15. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    riiiiight. A national team that's played together before who know how many times vs. a MLS all-star team who's been together for 48 hours.

good one.

16. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    After watching the second half, I now understand why New England won't make the playoffs, despite having the MLS Leading Scorer.

17. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    And why's that?

Sommer's our backup.

18. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    So does anyone have an attendance figure for this game?

19. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    I loved that too. Way to make the point on National tv that sports shouldn't be played on fake grass. Good work josh!

20. Newman

Newman New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Madison, WI
    Fair enough Kebzach. My point was that the East-West games have been nigh unto unwatchable. I'm not saying bring in Brazil. An MFL or K-League 11, given that next year is in LA. Anyway, the MLS team would be made up of a lot of Nat. Pool players (Donovan, McBride, Beasley, Pope, Maestroenni, Bocanegra, Ralston, Klein, Agoos, Wolff + Mathis if healthy, etc... this year) in any given year, as the MLS seems to want to focus on the young American player.

Misguided perhaps, but I'll take that over the San Jose sports bra farce of 01.

21. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Why not just repeat this same format. It worked pretty well I thought.

22. X.F.S.

X.F.S. New Member

May 24, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    What?? If you're basis is skill rather than respect then Deering, Cobi, or Burns, but Maissoneuve? Maissoneuve has steadily improved over the last year and a half. And he was on today as well.

I agree with most here that the subs shouldn't have come on until after 45mins. If they end up getting only 15mins, tough.

23. Newman

Newman New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Madison, WI
    One thing I'd forgotten, that would make today's format work better is that next year, they could hold the game earlier, and have a real shot at getting some of the foreign based players involved. If that were possible, it would make for a pretty decent game (throw in Casey, Gibbs, Gooch, Cherundolo, Vanney(maybe even O'Brien or a GK?)-drop Burns, Deering, etc). When is the Confed. and Gold Cups? Strategically placed, the match could actually be fun, competitive, and useful (fighting for spots for imminent tourney rather than vaguely "Catching Bruce's eye".).

24. IMissTheFusion

IMissTheFusion New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    South Florida
    Attendance: 31,096

25. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    What gives? Is she trying out for a part in Les Miserables?...