MLS 2020 Superdraft

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Dec 11, 2019.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barring a trade, the Revs are done drafting this year. Their third and fourth round picks went to DCU in a trade last year that netted the pick they used on Keegan Meyer.

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I think it's silly to grade a draft before the players even play an MLS game, but these things are done, so:

2020 MLS SuperDraft Grades
    January 9, 2020
    6:28PM EST
    Travis Clark

Revs got an A-

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's tough.I remember back in the day, Ted Chronopolous made an appearance at a soccer store in Faneuil Hall and I went to check it out. A couple of people came by for autographs, but for almost the whole time it was me and another regular fort guy just chatting with him. I remember some of the guys like Walter Zenga liked that no one outside the North End ever recognized him and he could carry on just like a regular person, which he couldn't do in Italy. Richard Goulooze liked that, unlike his time in Derby, he never was accosted by Notts Country fans while walking down the High Street with his wife and baby, being called a "F*&^$#ing sheep-shagger." But when he said he was a "footballer" everyone asked if he knew Drew Bledsoe.

Still, for an American player who has finally made it to the top league in his sport and to have almost no one come to a public appearance has to be a bruise to the ego. A muffler place near my work had a grand opening in September and they touted an appearance of some guy on the Bruins I never heard of. I googled him and he's in Providence, never having made the team. I bet he got a better turnout than any Rev. :(

4. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Same exact thing for me and my kids. He was sitting at a table by himself, just inside the entrance. My kids thought it was awesome they got to talk to him uninterrupted for a bit. (Some of the autographed photos are still kicking around the house here.)

He was gracious, and enthusiastic with the kids despite his being painfully aware of the lack of crowd to see him.

Granted, there is/was little fan recognition of the team and players - but I still felt some sadness that one of the all-time greats on a Boston sports team had near-zero fan interest in a personal autograph appearance.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  5. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so, to quote Knopfler and Sting, "Money for Nothing." Of course in an unreported part of the deal, a certain Owner received "and chicks for free.":rolleyes:

ToMhIlL repped this.
  6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That transaction was kind of interesting - some draft reviews felt it was a good haul for the pick, others felt it wasn't really much money for what things cost right now.

As a fan, I'm always disappointed not getting a player - it's much more fun to learn about a new player and hope he finds a role.

With a bunch of picks, I'm of the mind of throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks, but it's clear coaches don't see it that way. I guess that's about thinking that each player is an investment of time/opportunity from the coaching staff and spending it on players they don't think are likely to be a significant contributor means less time spent on other players.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I find interesting is that 4 out of 5 picks were traded for GAM, for varying amounts:
    #9 to COL for $75K GAM (MON)
    #10 to NYRB for $100K GAM (CHI)
    #11 to NSH for $75K GAM (COL)
    #13 to NSH for $50K GAM, $50K conditional GAM (NER)

Colorado basically moved up 2 spots for free.

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, 27 passes in rounds 3 and 4. Only 10 players selected in round 4 (out of 26).

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably better for the players in that group. They are free to sign with a USL club of their choice, rather than being drafted by an MLS team who is stacked at their position and (ahem) not known for developing younger players

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Our trade looks like a good deal in this context IF the conditional money comes through, but I have to think it's unlikely, unless some of the conditions are fairly easy (like making the opening day roster). Not many #13 picks make much of an impact their rookie year - but, a few do.
    Those players are not bound to MLS even if they are drafted - but, I suppose not getting drafted gives them a little more clarity.