MLS 2017 Week 12 Continuous PBP Thread [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Ismitje, May 17, 2017.

1. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't we all?

2. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    You know, @Bluecat82, you've changed since your date.

Bluecat82, onefineesq, Ismitje and 3 others repped this.
  3. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh oh..... hope this isn't like the invasion of the body snatchers. Bluecat82 as a flower child.....:cautious:

Bluecat82 and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ********ing Nashville. They're one of those teams that doesn't get past the second round.

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Stars fan and an apologist for NHL teams in the Sunbelt -- except the Sharks, because ******** the Sharks -- I'll be rooting hard for them. Either a Pens loss or the lengthening of the Canadian 0-for Stanley Cup streak would be an added bonus.

sitruc repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This is exactly where I am.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The thought of Nashville (NASHVILLE?!?!) hoisting a Stanley Cup makes me wanna puke. Bettman has tried so hard to kill that league that I almost wish him success, just because.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    They just nearly average a sellout.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I get that and I'm not against Nashville or SunBelt teams in general. I'm just upset (ie: crusty old fart, in this case) because Gary's support for these cities has been inconsistent over the years and his expansion strategy (or lack thereof) has left many markets wanting while he's throwing darts in an attempt to simply see what sticks. Feel the appeal of the league as a whole has suffered because of it.

But I digress.

10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possession is priceless. For one thing it gives the opposition less time to score.

11. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You clearly haven't seen a Sounders game. :) 70+% possession, yet Saturday was the first game of the season where we led at halftime...

Possessing the ball just to posses it is meaningless. The value is in actually doing something with the ball and putting it into dangerous positions and executing on those chances.

JasonMa, Sounders78 and profiled repped this.
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it's meaningless but watch Man City or Arsenal playing the ball out from the back and camping in the opposition's half until someone makes an incisive run. That's Vieira wants at NYC.

13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is my point. :) If, like the Sounders, you lack a person that makes that incisive run, or can properly finish the end product that completes that incisive run, you're just time wasting.

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    4/30/2017 - ATL vs. DCU

Atlanta: 74% possession, 26 shots
    DCU: 26%, 9 shots.

Final Score: DCU 3 - 1 ATL

I've lost track of how many Arsenal games featured the same trend.

*sigh*

JasonMa and Sounders78 repped this.
  15. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    But those are examples I don't much find relevant in MLS. Yeah, Man City and Arsenal are going to do that because the only way 2/3rds of the league are going to beat them are by putting a bunch of players behind the ball, conceding possession, and hoping to hit on the break. They are going to lack the players to play possession soccer against them and they lack the players to play an effective high press either.

In MLS the teams are even enough that you might not get ripped to shreds if your high press gets broken a couple times. You may concede a goal but you can also reasonably stand a chance to defend it. You do that against Man City then you are likely screwed because the forwards are better finishers than most MLS players (I can be honest about that) but they are also superior than pretty much every defender they are going up against.

One of the things I like about MLS is that teams can find their own identity and play it most of the time and be effective with it. But you can also see tactical moves that can change a game because the teams are relatively evenly matched. Viera can play a possession style but there are ways other coaches can counter that. The high press can be countered. Houston's absorbing pressure and hitting on the break can be countered. And they can all be countered in different ways be different teams because the teams are fairly even. The counter to the way Man City or Arsenal play is, for most teams, to park the bus because that is what you do when your players are inferior (by a good margin as well sometimes).

So, TLDR of this is that looking at the tactics of the top teams in Europe is less relevant in MLS because those tactics are dictated partly by the gulf in quality between the top and bottom of those leagues. Yes, you can still learn things but the "truths" about tactics are a little less true here.

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    O Canadia...

******** Canada

Do we fear Ottawa now?

17. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So much for the "deepest team in MLS history"

Great reality check, we're good but were not that good that we can throw on our bench plus some TFC 2 players and beat anyone. Cheyrou's injury killed our midfield though and shifted the tide.

Worst game Edwards has played and hopefully will ever play. Total shocker.

crazypete13 repped this.
  18. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Fear the Fury as much as NHL teams fear the Capitals in the 2nd round of the Playoffs

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time? No, wait for a player to make a run or get into position and then move the ball quickly. There's no need to rush the ball forward every time, you're just feeding the opposition. Make the opposition work for the ball then exploit the gaps.
    My original comment was about an international football competition, not MLS.

20. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Ballou Tabla vs Alphonso Davies tonight on the wing?

That's a CMNT wet dream.

21. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Whitecaps leading Impact 2-0.

Impact have the weakest defensive spine in MLS this year. Just pathetic.

22. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I love MLS but I can't wait for the CPL and more nights like tonight where I see plenty of young Canadians being given chances on the pitch.

23. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Montreal Impact Farm Team 2 Toronto FC 1

TFC hacks in press making excuses.

Life is good.

24. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An away game, still scored a goal, resting most starters... how am I doing?

TheLostUniversity repped this.