Mls 2.0??

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by santeroatomico, Sep 28, 2008.

1. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    So what exactly MLS 2.0 is going to be?
    My theory is that is going to be a USL type second division (No Pro/Rel).
    Where teams that what admission to MLS can paly and prove themselves (
    Financially speaking). This will let the league taste markets without putting a burden on the main league. I can see Portland, Montreal and other USL-1 teams joining it while their stadium, ownership etc. gets resolved.
    FYI this is just mere speculation.

What do you guys think it means?

2. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A marketing strategy, their planning in my opinion to do what software developers do, present you pretty much the same version with some tweaks but adding a 2.0, 3.0 to the name and trying convince you it is so much better and so much different than the original version.

What tweaks or changes will they make to the league?, probably just minor changes or even no changes at all, it is all about the presentation.

3. skajules

skajules Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It won't be promotion/relegation.

My guess; just switching to a single table. With the 16 teams they will have in 2010, and a 30 game season, everything becomes home and away. This changes the way teams qualify for tournaments, including the MLS Cup playoffs, but is mostly just cosmetic.

I also expect a higher salary cap (though not significantly higher).

They'll wrap those and possibly a few more minor changes up and call it 2.0 as a marketing gimmick.

4. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS 2.0 is what they're calling the league after the important new changes they'll be making in 2010. (using bullet points, because that'll make it more liget!!!!1!!!!)*
    • Like refusing to give new contracts to any player who went on strike over wages during collective bargaining. (like the bone they gave Noonan when he came back)
    • A stronger push to get more teams playing in concert specific stadiums. (like Ozzfest Hut Park)
    • Higher ticket prices. Because studies show that things that cost more are better. (what do you think happens when teams get stadiums?)
    • Make more deals with leagues to come here in their preseason to play scrimmages against so we can talk about how great we are. Add benefit, we get to make some cool looking trophies to give ourselves. (SuperLiga)
    • Keep expanding the league until the talent pool is so shallow the LA Galaxy will actually be able to win a majority of their games. (tell me i'm wrong)
    • Figure out how to make the "other" Super Club, NYRB, stop choking on their own shoes. (again, tell me i'm wrong)

Hey, it's better then rebranding to USL-3, which is how it's looking to foreigners. But don't worry, they will have saved the league again.

* I'm kidding about this stuff. But you've got to admit, sometimes this looks like what they want MLS to be.

5. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha. Ozzfest Hut Park. Hahahaha. :D

6. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conferences are here to stay in MLS. It lets you have conference championship games. It lets you have two champions face off in MLS cup. It is what the big-boy sports do.

Garber will be long gone before Conferences are ever even considered for elimination.

MLS 2.0 will be MLS with a new CBA and higher salary cap, expanded rosters. In American pro sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL), player relations is the most important issue facing the league. How that is handled defines the financial success of the league. Despite the fact that Soccer is a much different international player market -- MLS brass will always focus on MLS thru their NFL eyeglasses. Everything that matters is TV deals and union contracts.

7. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt don't that for one second although practically, you could have 16 teams, single table, top 8 make the playoffs and not lose a thing in my opinion (I just don't buy the argument that conferences have to exist to make travel easier). Conferences are just a designation to make it familiar and it will probably stay for the foreseeable future.

8. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS 2.0? Did I miss something big during the power outage?

9. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must have been during the 8 hours I didn't have power, cause I don't know what it is either.....

10. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. skajules

skajules Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://fire.american-soccer-news.com/?p=200

12. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marketing scheme. I doubt the actual format of the league itself will change...hopefully I'll stand corrected in 2010.