MLB cracking down on web sites

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by jmeissen0, Sep 1, 2002.

1. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to go to Bryan Hoch's site all the time and it was great. I think it's absolutely ridiculous. If MLB doesn't want fans to start their own fan sites, then maybe they should add a little originality to the official team sites. They're all the same generic crap and basically, they're terrible. I don't see how it's scamming MLB out of anything. It was just a place for fans to go and get a different insight on the game, from the perspective of Met fans. The Ultimate Mets Database, which is a fan site, took down the Mets logo. You can't even get headshots of former Mets players anymore. I think it's ridiculous. At a time where MLB should be doing everything to keep their fans, they still don't learn. I understand it's business and are worried about being scammed, but these are just fans (important word there) making a site out of pure love for their team.

2. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    MESSAGE!

3. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How stupid. I swear, that is my calling, I'm a communications major set to graduate next year, and I totally have to get a PR job with MLB cause they don't even know the definition of Public Relations.

Every time you turn your head, MLB is screwing something else up, whether it's the strike, the all-star game, shutting down websites, "Yankees suck" t-shirts, throwing out lesbians, etc... the whole league just disgusts me.

Every day I question more and more why I even pay attention to that league.

4. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    I agree. Not to mention making fans wait through rain delays.

5. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Short of actually gassing their fans, I fail to see how MLB (owners and players) could treat their fans any worse. I would be fine with them requiring that any site featuring a MLB team or logo print a box that says something like "this site not endorsed or related to MLB and we cannot vouch for the content herein, etc". But to attempt to shut them down?(granted, I didn't see the letter they sent out to fans) That's just retarded. Why would you want to curb enthusiastic support of your organization? "Hey you over there! Stop giving me money!!" Think about it. Say this 14 year old kid (now 20) and a bunch of his friends get serious (for 14 year old boys) and start doing game breakdowns and stories on players,etc. Don't you think, in order to do this, they would watch more games, buy more programs/media guides, go to autograph sessions to meet players, buy books on baseball? Trust me, the guys over at www.metrofanatic.com (shameless plug) spend more time and money on the metros because of their site, not less. I really doubt the sites attacked by MLB drive traffic away from MLB sites, as I visit mlsnet.com and metrostars.com probably more than metrofanatic (though I obviously like MF more than the others).

6. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    These idiots ever hear of "fair use"? That's the main exception in trademark law.

8. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Frankly, I'd just ignore them if I were running the website. Any idea what horrible publicity MLB would get by pursuing such an action (esp in New York)?

9. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually got a response from MLB.com. I went off on how unfair it is to shut down a fan site and what not. Basically they just said that I shouldn't believe everything the media says and that the main reason they shut it down was due to commercial use off of the trademarked clubs. Then they went on and on how they are ambassadors to the game and how Bryan Hoch and Mets-online.net is evil. I can post the e-mail from them if any of you feel like puking.