MLB 2003 Post-Season [R]

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Thomas A Fina, Sep 30, 2003.

1. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Pretty hard at this point. Tickets are going for high numbers right now.

2. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kim and Brown left off the ALCS roster, Suppan and Jones added for the Sox. No surprise regarding Kim, I'm not sure he'll ever pitch for Boston again. I am a little surprised regarding Brown, due to Damon's uncertainty. They must have received really good news this morning about him.

Game 1... Here's hoping that the knuckler is really moving tonight.

Go Sox!!

3. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    I hope that's not true. He's a young pitcher with huge upside, even though he's had his rough spots.

4. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Exactly, it would be nuts to give up on Kim, who had a pretty good season and would likely be a solid starter.

Why is Jones on the roster?? The only player who makes Sauerbeck look good. BTW, Jones is such an a-hole. Remember when there was talk about Piazza being gay and Jones said that he'd wouldn't want a gay guy on his team. Yeah, right. Who wants arguably the best hitting catcher in baseball history on the team when you can have a guy like Todd Jones? :rolleyes:

5. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Hold the nervous breakdown for ALCS

Excellent Red Sox article on ESPN. It's a hilarious recap of the last three games.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/031007.html

6. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill Simmons is hilarious. I wish I could find his old Boston Sports Guy articles (not the Page 2 ones).

Kim gave the fans the finger. He's done in Boston. End of story. Kim would also be playing the Yankees. Not a good matchup.

Wakefield v Mussina? *gulp* if you're a Bosox fan.

7. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I hear Sean McAdam on the radio today and he maintained that Kim is hurt -- that this is not a punishment for flipping off Fenway Park or that the Sox are scared to use him against the Yankees.

As for Wakefield vs. Mussina...

It's not like Wakefield is incapable of shutting down the Yankees. In fact, in his last start against NY, he threw really well - something like 7.0 IP, 0 ER, 3 BB, and 2 K.

And while the Sox haven't enjoyed as much success against Mussina as they have against other Yankee starters, it's not like they haven't beaten him ever.

Yeah, I think it's advantage NY in this game, but I wouldn't write off the Sox completely.

8. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Just think, if either the Cubs or Marlins finish their series before that game possible Yanks/Boston game 6, MLB will be moving it to 8pm.

9. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Great night for the dream World Series scenario, as both Boston and Chicago win. Good to see the Cubs bounce back after the deflating loss last night.

Wakefield had the knuckler dancing tonight, and you could tell Mussina was off from the very start. Still, he and the other Yanks pitchers were crafty enough to spread those 13 hits around for only 5 runs, which kept the Nation in anxiety until that final called strike on Posada.

Kudos to Williamson, btw. I really thought Timlin should have come out for the 9th (still do think that, actually) but Williamson got it done. But note, he did fall behind both of the first 2 batters, which is something you don't like your Closer to do. I still prefer Timlin and his consistent ability to throw strikes.

Finally, what's up with Nomar? He has looked horrendous for over a month now. He looks lost up at the plate...even did in the Oak series when he iniatially had a few hits. We're going to need his bat against Pettite tomorrow.

Oh, and the whole Ed Hillel thing was classic. Very Letterman-esque.

10. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    I really really really really really hope the winner of the NLCS wins the whole thing.

11. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

Eat it.

12. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'd love to see a Red Sox Cubs World Series...next year. This year I'd much rather face the Marlins.

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Gabe Kapler has managed to totally fvck up the game so far. The Red Sox have 6 hits in two innings and only 1 run. Why? Because Kapler has (a) been caught stealing and (b) hit into a double play. This could very well be the difference in the game.

I hope Damon comes back for Game 3!

14. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    I thought the first one was Mueller's fault. That's a hit and run, not a straight steal, and Mueller just watched a pitch paint the outside corner. He's been a major liability in the postseason so far. He also grounded out in the 2nd with the bases loaded, IIR.

15. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Fair point, but he should have got a much better lead (like he did the pitch before). At least make it a close play.

I can't believe Saeurbeck pitched. As far as I'm concerned, Saeurbeck entering the game is a prima facie case for managerial malpractice. I'm really disgusted.

On the plus side, it's now a best of 5 series where we have home field advantage and Pedro for Game 1 and 5. I have to like those odds.

16. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    He's faced with Roger. Add to him Contreres and Rivera in the late innings and I like the Yanks odds.

17. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    It depends where you sit. Way up in the upper level, you'll pay as high as $175. If you sit in the lower section expect to pay in the thousands.

Although, I got mine for free for Wednesday's game. :D

What the Hell? Is this is Boston-Yankees thread.

GO CUBS!!!!

18. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    The only advantage you've got at this point is Joe Torre vs. Grady Little. Come to think of it, I like the Yanks odds. :(

19. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Re: Re: MLB 2003 Post-Season [R]

Yeah...Agreed...Joe Torre has more experience and has a good post-season record. By coaching, the Yankees have it in their favor.

20. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well where the heck are all those Fire fans who like the Cubbies??

The problem is there are no Marlins fans on here. The talk is being dominated by Bahsten fans... :p

I'm chomping at the bit for Rocket vs. Pedro tomorrow. I can guarantee won't be any Sawwx fans giving Clemens a "standing o" tomorrow in the Back Bay like the last game he pitched there.

21. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't believe the Marlins have any real fans.

22. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10642-2003Oct10.html

23. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    This is getting completely stupid. Manny needs to cool it and I'm a Red Sox fan.

24. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PEDRO IS A F*****G PUNK!!!! :mad:

Zimmer was likely inciting him, no doubt, but that's just total bull****, throwing down an old man like that.

25. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    McCarver was right, that pitch wasn't close.

Also, it's horrible what happened to Don Zimmer, but he shouldn't be getting in ANYONE's face. He's a coach not a player.