Mitt Romney for President--Part something

Discussion in 'Elections' started by bigredfutbol, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    The GOPers who trumpet Romneys experience with formulating budgets and all the other things conveyed by executive experience, will be forced to acknowledge it as the exact same experience brought by Michale Dukakis. Lets all look back to their analysis of that experience back in '88.

Will Mitt be attending Gordon Hinckleys pagan internment? When Moroney (Not the running back) blows the eternal trumpet, will Mitt be there to hear it? Or, will he be doing more pandering to the washed-in-the-blood-of-the-lamb crowd?

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay all of you new Romney converts. Please explain to me how you can support a man who has essentially implemented Hillary Clinton's healthcare plan in Mass.?

3. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you read anything besides this discussion board Matt?

The state of Massachusetts (the Massachusetts legislature and the Governor) requires residents to purchase health insurance - like other states and their policy of requiring auto insurance - at the state level. Reread that underlined part again so it sinks in - at the state level. Insofar as what you alleged, this is not Federal "Hillarycare" but a modest state level plan; surely even you can see the difference. Since all the candidates are mentioning health care on their "to do" list, Mitt Romney is the only one that has managed a plan in a successful way: at the state level! Important that you read a bit about this Massachusetts plan - it is not Hillary care... The Massachusetts measure would be the first in the nation to require people to buy health insurance if they don't get it at work. Which means if you have a decent employer-provided plan you can skip the state's plan. By the way, this health care plan in Massachusetts demonstrates that Mitt Romney can reach across the aisle to secure compromise: it was coordinated by a Republican governor and a Democrat-dominated House to completion. Second by the way, in case you try to say this state-level health care plan in Massachusetts is not conservative, here's Mitt explain it: "It's a conservative idea," says Romney, "insisting that individuals have responsibility for their own health care. I think it appeals to people on both sides of the aisle: insurance for everyone without a tax increase." Surely paying your own way meets your idea of conservatism?

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Having the government force you by mandate to buy something (in this case health insurance) is your idea of conservatism?

5. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the state level government-imposed insurances and government-imposed taxes have long been present. Is it conservative? Depends on your perspective...

You drive a car? You have to buy liability insurance...
    You own a house? You have to have fire insurance...
    You fill up the car with gas? You have to pay gas tax...
    You buy a pack of cigarettes? You have to pay cigarette tax...
    You buy a drink? You have to pay alcohol tax...

Mitt Romney's plan varies tremendously with any comparison to "HillaryCare," to the extent that (1) it is on the state level, (2) it is not mandatory if you have a better employer-provided plan, and (3) it does not bankrupt the state to provide it.

6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Pretzel-twisting justification. It's the new black for GOPers.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That is different. Driving a car is not a basic right. We as individuals choose to buy and drive a car, and so we take on the obligations that come with it, including taking care of the insurance to cover the damage we may cause to others while driving.

No, I don't think I have to buy insurance just because I own a house, at least not in California. If I depend on a bank or financial institution for a mortgage and I use the house as collateral, then the institution has the right to demand that I have fire insurance to protect their collateral, and logically they do.

Yes, and again, I choose to buy gasoline, I am not forced to do it. Also, I may have to pay the taxes, but that doesn't mean I support them. I think gas taxes should be lower. Do you support high gasoline taxes?

I know some conservatives support a general consumption tax over an income tax, but in general the conservative position is to have less taxes. And especially I am not in favor of the type of taxes that will inherently hurt business activity and productivity. So, I'm for keeping gasoline taxes as low as possible.

Are you arguing that to implement special taxes on gasoline is a conservative position?

I guess some social conservatives will approve of the so called 'sin taxes', but from an economic small government conservative's viewpoint, raising taxes on specific products in order to modify consumer behavior is also not a conservative position.

So you are saying that you oppose a big federal goverment forcing you to buy health insurance, but yet you support a big state government that forces you to buy health insurance if your employer doesn't offer it?

8. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incorrect. You are not legally obligated to drive a car, own a home, buy gas buy smokes or buy alcohol. You are, however, required to purchase health insurance in MA. The only way out is death.

Glad you can support a candidate that is so against personal freedom.

9. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Or paying about $900 or so. But I guess that's kinda like death.

10. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most states require you to wear a seat belt when you drive too Matt for two reasons; it helps ambulance drivers find the body at accidents and it protects idiots that choose to disobey the law and drive. Now perhaps that comparison will help you understand what is happening at hospitals and emergency rooms when those without health insurance choke up the system.

Nobody is forcing you to live in Massachusetts are they?

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So, do you support Massachusetts health insurance plan as a model for other states to follow?

What is your opinion of Arnold's health care plan for California?

12. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. I think every state should evaluate its own requirements and develop its own plan, at the state level, to address citizens health care needs. Health care is not a federal issue. I only cite the Massachusetts plan simply to illustrate that Mitt Romney is the only one with credentials in this area. Nobody else running for president has such experience.

13. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If insurance is not a federal issue whould you have president Romney overturn ERISA?

14. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca

I'm no Romney convert, but if the Dems nominate Hillary, I'll sing as I vote for him.

Romney strikes me as highly contrived and phony, but at least he's not the breathtaking slime mass that is the Clintons.

15. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest I don't know enough about ERISA to recommend termination or support; I understood it generally to be a Department of Labor program for minimum standards for pension and health plans and indeed if ERISA goes into the mandating language mode than it may be a candidate for examination on treading on state responsibilities...

16. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most likely I would do the same. Now if Barry O'bama wins then I have a lot of thinking to do.

17. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't think Paul will run in the general election?

18. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope not. We need guys like that to stay in the GOP to keep it from coming the Christianist party.

19. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Seriously? You have a lot of thinking to do between Obama and Romney?

Has anybody given a thought as to why every remaining Bush loyalist is supporting Romney?

20. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Why do you think so?

21. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Romney won't close the cookie jar their corrupt hands are all digging into. He's the candidate of choice for Halliburton and Blackwater execs.

22. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what about the standard Bush loyalist?

23. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Nothing screams "I lost the arguement!" more than playing the "bigot/racist/xenophobe" card when it comes to an immigration discussion..

I thought more of you Superdave..

24. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    You're good at ignoring the point.

25. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Normal has his hands in the cookie jar? That's who I am referring to. Not the already entrenched.