Milwaukee already awarded expansion?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by wufc, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tell that to Rochester.

Yeah, I see your point, but the league has TWELVE TEAMS. Which is another way of saying that almost no cities have mustered the requisite stadium/investor combo that you claim to be such a low threshold for expansion.

2. EyesOnBall

EyesOnBall Member

Jun 14, 2004
    And Lavern and Sherlie could sign the National Anthem...this is good news and very unexpected...at least to me. I would have never guess going to Milwaukee.

3. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Rochester has either not been willing or not been able to pay the expansion fee to enter MLS. There's a great deal of doubt about if they actually have the financial cajones to come up with the $10 million or whatever it is now to join. And yes--all it takes is a viable investor group and a stadium commitment to have a team. Case in point--Salt Lake City went from nowhere to head of the list when they came up with the magic duo.

4. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh shut your piehole and die in a fire.

I could care less about your sentimentalities....this IS A GODDAMN SPORTS LEAGUE. If a huge-ass corporation like Televisa comes in with the package they're offering I want them in the league immediately! And I don't care if it's through expansion or re-location...this a freakin business, moron.

5. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Guys, please take the non-Milwaukee talk elsewhere. Thank you.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I want Kristen Johnson's boobs on the shirt. She's also an ex-Whitefish Bay resident.

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0145660/Ss/0145660/17?path=pgallery&path_key=Johnston,%20Kristen%20(I)

Of course, so are the Zucker Brothers ... so we can call the team "Shirley".

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    There was an email earlier today to the media. 3:30 CT.

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Acutally, shouldn't any Milwaukee team be called the Beasts? The reserves could be the Beast Lights?

Sachin

9. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Zucker Brothers are from Shorewood.

10. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    There's old news, and then there's old news.

Later,
    COZ

12. FireFanInPackerLand

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was initially hesitant about the prospect of a Milwaukee MLS team, now however I am coming around to it. I thought Salt Lake was going to be a disaster and Chivas was going to be a blazing success. Boy was I wrong on both those fronts. Too bad I won't still be at Marquette by then and would be able to see my Men in Red come up to play Milwaukee.

I'd like to see this team have either black, gold, and orange as their colors and be called the Milwaukee Riders, in homage to Harley-Davidson, or have their shirts be White or Navy with a carolina blue "LA Galaxy stripe" in homage to Pabst Blue Ribbon. :D

13. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thick irony there, considering the knee-jerk emotional reaction in support of 'unsentinmentality.'

--

To the topic at hand, I've been pretty skeptical of Milwaukee as a market, and I haven't completely cast aside my questions, but one can't help but be impressed by the ownership/FO combo there. When the guy who literally wrote the book on the subject says "I'm gonna pay for a stadium, because it's economically viable for me to do so" you tend to believe him. And if he truly is, then the willingness to build the darn thing yourself will go a long way towards getting it done.

14. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC

Whoa... 2008?

So no expansion in 2007 or expanding to 16 in 2008?

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    That's Milwaukee's plan, not MLS's necessarily, and it's for purely practical reasons--there's no place to play until then. The old County Stadium has been torn down, and the soccer park where the USL team plays is too small.

16. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Hey, great there's a site. Still doesn't mean a lot of people know that, nor the connection to Happy Days/Fonzie shark jump.

Later gator...

17. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I doubt he'll pick it up until he hits a wall in England...I doubt MLS is going to pay defenders what they can get in England (nor should MLS......).

Maybe in 2008- if Watford/Coca doesn't pan out. But right now, he's squarely in Watford's future..

18. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    This seems to be everything San Antonio was NOT- a well-thought out, detailed, deliberated plan, with serious (not just one guy) commitments from county/city....with strong private financing possiblitiies....with people involved who actually know what they are doing (sports/stadium biz). Also, $$ commitment in hiring Wilt.

I don't see a lot of similarities with SA actually...this is more/much more serious

19. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Actually, it was all over the media 2 years ago. "Jumping the shark" has jumped the shark.

Sachin

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And to be honest, if either San Jose or Kansas City gets a Cleveland Browns deal (we'll take your team, but you get to expand when the stadium is built), 2008 is a more reasonable timeframe.

Plus, it's a lot easier to push 2008 back to 2009 then to promise 2007 and end up with an expansion Southlake/Naperville situation.

21. Banal Minutia

Banal Minutia New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    New Jersey
    part of me just died inside

22. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Scratch the Milwaukee Beasts, let's name the club PBR Milwaukee.

Sachin

23. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I would agree with all of that but the bolded part. That's jumping to conclusions at this point.

24. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Well I guess in today's MLS a SSS plan and an owner/investor means automatic expansion bid. I just think there are so many better cities, but the two guys backing this are great, so that makes up for it.

Names I think are good: Wave, Cheeseheads, Beers, Mahn-ah-wauk, Germans, Cyclers, Riders. Yes, some I already saw mentioned and thought they were good.