Milan in Europe (!) 2020...22

Discussion in 'AC Milan' started by stphnsn, Aug 20, 2020.

1. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    3rd place in each group gets dumped to EL. 4th place is out of Europe entirely.

falvo repped this.
  2. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Yay, 1 point :(

3. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Thought we'd go pointless, so I'm happy

4. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Well, I'll be damned! Beautiful goal and a great pass by Kessie. Can't believe we are still in it! Also can't believe how good Pool is.

Brasitusa repped this.
  5. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Incredible win!!

..if only that ref didn't screw us over in the first game.

6. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Maybe Liverpool will let us beat them?? Lol

7. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    wasn't just the first game. you guys had a few "unfavourable" decisions over the first bunch of games.

8. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    #83 Brasitusa, Nov 24, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    He isn't a ref, he's a thief. I'm sure Atletico paid him in some cryptocurrency. So, without him, we'd have won that game, I have no doubt, and we'd be sitting pretty in second place with 7 points, now, versus 5 for Porto and 1 for Atletico. But I thought that beating Atletico today was very satisfactory because now I hate them and if we can keep them from advancing I'm already a bit satisfied with it. We again outplayed them, in their huge stadium full of rabid fans, and it's interesting that the young guy Messias Junior, the rags to riches story (he was delivering pizza when he was discovered) was the one who scored.

Now, the thing is, Liverpool has already clinched first place. So it is not excluded that they'll rest players against us. Say, by miracle we win that game... we'd advance if Porto and Atletico draw their game.

Incredible, but we haven't been eliminated yet.

Now, the thing is, if we don't advance in the CL then I'd prefer to be in fourth place, actually, because dropping to Europa League doesn't advance our cause. We'd just have more games and more injury opportunities. I'd prefer to see a focus on Serie A, and let Juve and Inter and maybe Atalanta depending on how they do, keep playing in Europe while we play fewer games and have less wear and tear; it increases our chances for the Scudetto.

The only factor that makes me be ambivalent about it, is that I want to see those imbeciles from Atletico Madrid in fourth, leaving the competition with their tail between their legs. I'll never forgive them for the thievery they pulled off against us.

odessit19 and Rossonero23 repped this.
  9. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I think Rossonero meant the first game against Atletico, which was clearly stolen from us by a corrupt ref, to the point that UEFA suspended him. Nobody shows blatant bias like that (including, preventing a PK decision in stoppage time from going to VAR which no ref in his right mind would have done - and it wasn't a PK) if he's not being paid. You can be sure that he got some cryptocurrency big payment from Atletico.

The first game, against Liverpool, we lost honorably. We could have scored a third goal if not for an offside by a hair, but by a hair or not, it was indeed a legitimate offside. I don't have complaints about that game. Our very young team, the youngest by average age in the Champions League, going to a crowded stadium to play against one of the best teams in the world, and we lost by a minimum score of 3-2, with two away goals, and we almost scored a third one, that's pretty honorable. Most of our players had never played for an European tournament before, so they started nervously, like deer in the headlights, got disorganized and conceded an early goal, but then they did improve and were able to frighten Liverpool a bit... not so bad. Several Liverpool players had more CL games under their belts than our entire team combined.

I did not watch our first game against Porto. I hear that we played terribly in the first one. I don't know if there were questionable refereeing decisions in that one.

For me, the decisive thing was the thievery we were victims of in the first Atletico game, which robbed us of any possible momentum after a honorable showing at Liverpool. Had we won that game as we should have (if not for the corrupt ref), maybe we'd have played better at Porto.

calabrese8 and Rossonero23 repped this.
  10. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Regarding the Champions League, another factor is that we are in a group of death. In pretty much almost any other group, our quality would have qualified us for the next phase. We have sufficient quality to get there in normal circumstances, but getting Liverpool, Porto, and the thieving Atletico + their paid ref, was bad luck.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  11. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    So what are our chances today? Any way we can actually pull this off?

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So now that Milan was eliminated from the CL, are they out of the Europa League too?

13. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Yep, and that's good

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #89 falvo, Dec 7, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021

I keep hearing and reading that competing in the EL is not good but isn't there money to be made being in that tournament?

15. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Just as inter did last year, Milan crashed out of Europe. Now they can solely target the Scudetto.

16. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    It's good from a Milan point of view but bad for the league's coefficient.

17. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Not enough to justify the fixture congestion.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  18. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Liverpool are just too strong.
    They won all of their games!

19. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Hopefully, we finish in the top four and try again next season.
    Maybe an easier group but that's hard with our low coefficient..

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #95 falvo, Dec 7, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    Has Zlatan Ibrahimović played his last game in the Champions League?

He may be ok for the Serie A but he is clearly not fast enough for this competition and he will be 41 next year this time.

21. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ibra and giruod are fossils.

We need to get fiorentinas #9?

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm not quite sure about that.

The old UEFA Cup was very prestigious.

It also brought in revenue for clubs.

I mean the EL may not bring in CL money but it still brings in money regardless.

I think the teams should get more but its still better than nothing.

23. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Not if playing in those games means you have to rotate your squad and risk dropping points in the league. EL money is pennies on the dollar compared to CL money. If playing those extra EL games means dropping from 2nd to 3rd in the league, or heaven forbid 4th to 5th and missing next year's CL, you'll definitely regret it when FIGC is writing checks at the end of the season.

On top of the impact on the players, preparing for those EL games has a cost in terms of preparation for the matches, training time, travel, etc.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What about the money generated form ticket sales, sponsorships and TV revenue?

Doesn't that amount to anything?

25. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan