Mike Meyers and Soccer

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Gru88, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Gru88

Gru88 Member

May 27, 2001
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a little side note about Mike Meyers since the new Austin Powers Movie is out. I saw an interview with him on revealed with Jules Asner. I didn't watch the entire program, but his parents are from Liverpool and he grew up in Canada. She asked him what he wanted to be when he was growing up and one of his answers was a pro soccer player. Nothing earth shattering, I just thought it was interesting. I am curious if he is a Liverpool fan, MLS fan, Men's National Team fan, and if he watched much of the World Cup?

2. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    A Fat Bastard Sighting?

Didn't Fat Bastard make an appearance in that Pepsi commercial with the other sumo wrestlers?

3. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Remember the Scottish Soccer Hooligan Weekly sketch on SNL?

And the scene in So I Married an Axe-murderer where his father is watching a Scotland-England match and keeps yelling at his son with the big heed?

4. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    "MAGIC"

5. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Also, a while back, FourFourTwo published an interview with Vinnie Jones in which Jones said that Meyers played with his Hollywood United club. (Ex-Sex Pistol Steve Jones does too.)

6. OBartleby

OBartleby New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    "Heeeed! Dooown!"

"Eef ya want my baaaady, and ya theenk ahm sexy...... We have a piper dooown!"

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Heeeeed! Pants! Now!

8. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That head looks like Sputnik!

9. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    Did anyone else notice that in Scottish Soccer Hooligan Weekly that the Scottmen in the sketch were wearing English team's kits, scarfs, and English posters were on the wall behind them. No Rangers or Celtic.

but anyway, "If it's not Scottish, its crap!"

10. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    It's got it's own weather system!

11. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sketch is on the Best of Mike Meyers DVD. There's one small thing that's different:
    When it originally aired the sponsers were Doc Marten and Hitler beer. They have been omitted from the DVD. It's still a very funny piece with David Hyde Pierce as a tennis hooligan.

12. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There was more than one sketch done. They did one when Myers was a guest host with the guest being an Irish hooligan who the two scots beat up. One of the sponsors was "Bollocks" weiners.

"You can't have a wiener if you haven't got Bollocks"

very funny.

13. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    It's like an orange on a toothpick!

14. SJfuture

SJfuture New Member

May 25, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    'm not kidding, that boy's head is like Sputnik; spherical but quite pointy at parts! Aye, now that was offsides, now wasn't it? He'll be crying himself to sleep tonight, on his huge pillow.

15. Damon_D.

Damon_D. New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    MD
    And the show was called Scottish Soccer Hooligans instead of Scottish Football Hooligans.

One of the best SNL sketches nevertheless.

16. Beach Soccer

Beach Soccer New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    He’s the kind of actor I think that will jump on the bandwagon when soccer is takes off in the states. It’s a shame he doesn’t do more for the sport now. When asked of his sporting interest (aside from the Jules interview which had a snapshot of his youth soccer get up), he only ever says hockey. I bet when he gets interviewed in England he’s all soccer this and soccer that. Does his new movie have any soccer in it? The man char is an English guy from the sixty’s i'nit? Lets see now. We got the clothes, the hair, the teeth, the music, the women, the sexual morays, the cars, the art design. Hmmm what else is associated with that place and time? Hmmm. Oh well Myers is funny and will be a great addition to the bandwagon when it takes off.
    We don’t need a Hollywood connection anyway for soccer to do well. MLS marketing is doing a marvelous job and getting us all the right kind of attention…

17. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    He's Canadian so cut him some slack. Of course he likes hockey, and why would/should he then support MLS. We have a hard enough time getting American soccer fans to support MLS. It's a bit much to expect foreign soccer fans to support American soccer just because they live or work in the states.

18. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Char leeee.... Next time.... light ah match

19. JTorres

JTorres New Member

Mar 2, 2000
    The Globe-Chicago
    I can't say that I've seen many of his movies but didn't he feature Stan Mikita (ex Black Hawks player) in one of the Wayne's World movies as a spoof of Tim Horton Donuts?

Just wonder if there are any soon to be BIG American-born film stars out there who have (a)played youth soccer for 8 years (b) follow a MLS or foreign club (c) watched as much of the recent World Cup as most of us did and (D) will organize pickup games on the set of their movies?

Name that actor and let's be sure that his films are box office winners.

20. Beach Soccer

Beach Soccer New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    I should clarify. I didn’t mean to say Myers should be supporting MLS although it would be nice. A league that plays on artificial turf with gridiron lines isn’t ready for the kind of Hollywood star treatment other sports get. He is a hockey fan to be sure. I’m just saying I think he is a closeted soccer fan who prolly talks up what a fan he is of soccer when he is over seas. Liverpool I assume he likes and he could mention soccer of any kind in his movie. After all EPL on televison here in the US what turns non-partisans into fans not MLS. (No I don’t want your anecdotal evidence that MLS attracts fans on its own. When MLS stops paying a network to air its games and actually gets paid then there will be proof) Only after they see how great the sport is, and can be, here in the US, only then do they turn on to MLS and support it out of obligation like the rest of us.

Like that Pepsi commercial Britney Spears has where she is in soccer kit. Didn’t air here in the States. Why not? She is using soccer to sell something. Here in the US an add like that would sell Pepsi AND soccer, not just Pepsi.

21. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His family were big Liverpool supporters. However, his real love is hockey and the Toronto Maple Leafs, which is why he tends to talk about that game more. Maybe, if Toronto had a top flight soccer team he will most likely support them instead of an American team.

22. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, let's look at this:
    1. Mike Myers is a soccer fan.
    2. Verne Troyer (aka mini-me) is a soccer fan. (there's a thread on this)

Soooo....
    Austin Powers 4: From MLS with Love.

Dr. Evil and Mini-Me could create a soccer league with no SSS, single entity and a paltry TV contract.
    Enter Austin Powers to save the day and thwart the evil-doers. Groovy, baby.

23. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Nevermind one of the biggest British magazines on the sport is called 'World Soccer'.

24. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There you go!

What team(s) do Verne Troyer/Mini-Me/Mini-Austin follow, if anyone knows? Since he is a recognized icon, the league could try to have him for marketing.

Myers might be difficult to get, but Troyer by recognition alone would be good for the pop-culture crowd.

Cheers!

25. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    DC will take Vern as a striker if the deal for Gazza falls through. Imagine the attendance boost that would give. :D