Mike Magee to Steaua Bucharest?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Ed-D, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who still thinks MLS couldn't use a wage increase?

3. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I think the bigger story here would be that a club of Steaua's stature (regular Champions League participants) would want a guy like Magee.

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they bought Toja.

5. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they must have saw his goal in the MLS Cup

6. Lombard

Lombard Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Agreed. Steaua's a big club. I've always liked Magee's game, but he's hardly someone I'd want MLS to pay a lot of money to keep. Would be interested to see what happens with him. Only a year older than Stuart Holden.

7. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good point

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he's been playing and even starting for them in the EL this year. I don't think Toja was much better than Magee in MLS.

9. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 completely different players playing completely different positions, BUT if i had to choose 1 or the other, id choose Toja over Magee. Without hesitation

1 person likes this.
  10. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to keep Magee?? eh, i'll pass.

losing someone like Rolfe & Segares would have been better reasons for a Cap increase.

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always liked Magee's game. Not flashy. Very underrated. Not overly noticeable to the naked eye but usually pretty efficient. I think this is a great move for him. Steaua are a HUGE club in Central Europe. Storied history and loads of trophies. The Romanian league much like Magee is underrated. IIRC, it was rated somewhere between 8th & 10th by UEFA's debatable coefficient rankings. From what I've seen the league boasts a pretty good brand of football. It has appeared very Bundesligaish but also had a hint of South American influence. That SA influence is probably due to the top clubs having a few amount of talent form there. Nonetheless, if this is true this is a big move for Mike.

BTW, I always have to remember Mike is just 25. He's a seasoned player for his age. He could be entering hitting his prime which could be a reason Steaua like him.

12. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. I thought Toja was significantly better than Magee.

I'm not sure he's good enough to cut it there. Romania goes through fits and starts as a football country, but when they're on a good streak they're better than us. And a fair number of their best talents make an extended stop at Steaua (or local rivals Dinamo). Should a new influx come in, a guy like Magee is likely to get buried, while Toja would be able to fight for minutes long enough to get picked up by someone else.

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magee is a good player and he puts in an honest effort every game. Him, Rolfe and Jeff L for NE are the types of player that I would like to see stay MLS. Don't pay him a ton, but in order for the league to have a consistent product the pay scale is going to need to be raised.

1 person likes this.
  14. Berlina

Berlina New Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Why would a player leave LA for a corrupted third world country like Romania? Is that Bucharest team better than the Galaxy, to help him game? Is that league better than MLS? I would say No Way to both. The only reason I could think would be the money, but how can a team from a third world country can pay more than MLS? They probably use Mafia money.

15. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh i agree with nearly all you said. i simply think there are better options then Magee IMO. I love his work ethic, but i feel LA will find similar results with fresh blood.

Magee would certainly be a GREAT roster filler. Depth is essential for MLS to succeed. Jeff L. and Rolfe are difference makers, while Magee can make a difference, just not all the time.

take it for what its worth, its just my opinion. I would have prefered to keep him in the league, but certainly wouldnt contemplate raising the cap to keep him.

16. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steeaua is regularly playing in Europe. Champions League or Europa League. Pretty big pull if you ask me.

17. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would assume that Steaua is better than the Galaxy. And that's why I think Magee might struggle to find the field there.

18. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always forget how young he is!

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's quite shocking how young players like Magee, Gaven, Quaranta, etc. are. I can't fathom how Eddie Gaven can still only be 23.

I also think people underestimate the quality of player we've got in MLS. Do I think Mike could play for Steau Bucharest? I don't know.........I don't watch much Romanian football. Only one way to find out. I do know that the Romanian teams I've watched in the Champions League in the last couple of years have done OK. In last year's Champions League Steau beat Galatasaray in the 3rd qualifying round, and drew with Fiorentina in the grou pstage. In the group stage Cluj drew with Chelsea at home and beat Roma on the road. So these clubs have enough quality to challenge the big teams at times.

Have we had an MLS players other than Toja go to the Romanian league?

20. scholes181818

scholes181818 Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like this post.

MLS really needs to hold onto these better than average players who can play key supporting roles for the bigger names in the league. These are the guys who help raise the general standard of play and depth of the league, and without them the product that MLS offers will suffer.

That said, I think Magee is a slightly underrated player. It's really hard to say how he'd do at Steaua, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing an MLS alum over there.

21. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really amazed that Steaua would be looking at Magee. I would think that at his age (despite being youngish, his progression is all but done), he would have to be ready to contribute in some capacity because he's not a project anymore. He must be out of contract because I'd be shocked if they paid a transfer fee (though they probably could pry him from MLS fairly cheaply by European transfer standards).

A very interesting case to monitor. I would be happy to see this transfer go through because I think we could replace him fairly easily and at the same time, I'd like to see Magee get a bite at the apple.

22. Berlina

Berlina New Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  23. SanJoseUltras

SanJoseUltras Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toja's performances were poor and very poor. The only one who likes his play is that idiot owner of the team, and that's why he gets playing time. The fans are not happy with Toja. Well, maybe the female fans he hangs out with every night in the clubs are. Coaches can't go over the owner's head when making the starting eleven, that's why Toja sees so much playing time. I've watched all of their games, and Toja is too slow. He loses the ball and about 80% of his passes end up at the opposite players.

By the way, the Romanian papers are not reliable at all. They just speculate on what Becali is saying, and most of the times he is lying. However, I would not be too surprised if Magee or Tudela will end up there, the owner in the past couple of years, the owner focused on cheap, mediocre, out of contract players.

24. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're way, way off on both. Steaua are a famous team. I think they won the UEFA Champions Cup (precursor to the Champions League) in like 1987 or something. That was a long time ago but they still make regular appearances in the Champions League. The level of play is far more serious than MLS