Miguel Borja - news and comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by Doogs, Feb 9, 2017.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And the history of Colombianos owning Boca in a Superclasico continues…

EEC5EEFE-B6BB-4BBE-BE40-832E32893FA5.jpeg

2. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Thats a very good point, although I would say Rafael Borre's spot kicks is not something I lose sleep over. I think he'll make it in as much as Borja.

3. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Agreed. Borré in pens is brilliant. That said he goes for the unblockable corner kill shot everytime and when you slip on those it's tough....as we discovered with Uribe (who also takes them well and only takes kill shots) in 2018.

I mean even Jorginho misses sometimes and they named a technique after him!

J-Mezzy repped this.
  4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, he has done well and has a very good percentage since missing an ugly on in the Libertadores for River back in the day but... ....if the game is on the line do people really feel confident that Santos Borre is going to put a good shot on target from the penalty spot? Like really confident?
    I feel more confident in Borja cause I have seen it happen more often.

5. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Lol. Are you kidding? Its what he does.

lvbeto repped this.
  6. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    lvbeto and sidspaceman repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am not kidding. I am being honest.
    One match does not make a big difference to me. Seen him waste too many opportunities for Colombia.
    Gotta keep it real within context.

8. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The real context is that none of our strikers was efficient in the last qualifiers and we've all seen them all miss lots of golden chances. Any preference here is going to be completely subjective.

But for me, the decider in a major international competition is real high pressure and Borré 's technique was absolutely perfect and I personally prefer takers that go for the kill shot than those that are playing the keeper each time. It can still fail (as I said above), but makes me more comfortable from a process standpoint.

Id love to see data between guys who play the keeper vs. those that go for the top corners.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I do not think it is subjective at all. Borja has scored some nice goals for Colombia in pressure filled situations. Some of those being penalties.

Santos Borre has scored some big goals at club level which is great for him. But at the National team level has not done much. I am hoping that goal against Japan opens up the floodgates but will continue to remain skeptical until I see him do it.

10. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I definitely don't mind having Borja coming rather than Falcao thats for sure. spare me the team needs a leader.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I would rather have Borja too but Falcao is a leader no doubt. So is Uribe. Ospina is also a leader.
    If none of those guys get called up then Cuadrado will probably be called again and most people really don't want to see that.

12. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    how about the team needs goals

J-Mezzy and jay luis repped this.
  13. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You should be a politician. What a response

HomietheClown repped this.
  14. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think it's just Bigsoccer forum that doesn't like Cuadrado and probably Rolos

15. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Agreed.

For all the live games I’ve ever been to, I’ve never heard anyone in the crowd boo Cuadrado. The average fan probably thinks the “dribble until you draw a foul” method of playing is a good tactic.

16. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This doesn't speak well of the broader fan base...

17. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Goes for just about any team in all sports.

The primary fan base doesn’t nitpick and goes with the flow

A certain % is always going to complain no matter what

A certain % will analyze things to a point where they are actually dead on accurate for awhile and then they start over analyzing to a level where they confuse themselves (I think this is a lot of us - myself for sure)

And there’s likely other sub sets of fans that do and don’t understand the nuances

18. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cool cool. I don't think the consensus here is over thinking the Cuadrado thing.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  19. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The fan base and average fan loves Cuadrado and don’t see his flaws

they forgive him for the mistakes they crucify others for

he just built that “humble guy” persona that allows him to do whatever lol

20. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Fans when questioned on TV mention Angel, Asprilla, el Pibe and Bolillo. Not the most up to date fans in the world. I don't remember Angel playing I think I was 5 or 6 when he last played in Yellow and his numbers were awful.

that is probably why we still call up Falcao. I mean if your going to drop 50-200 per game to watch the NT at least know the players.

21. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Agreed. Cuadrado didn’t get the most caps ever (other than Ospina) by accident.

Managers must clearly like him and JC most likely follows instruction without much of a challenge.

The things we (Bigsoccer) criticize cuadrado for are likely the same things that managers are instructing him to do - for better or worse.

22. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ^^ Referring back to Cuadrado

Just to play devil's advocate, I do think he's earned a fair share of criticism even on here and it's deserved. However, it's a little extreme too call for his retirement in yellow because he didn't pass the ball in a key play or in a couple key plays during a series of games.

pepinointer repped this.
  23. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #323 pepinointer, May 12, 2023
    Last edited: May 12, 2023
    mehh this is to hard and he isnt super loved neither. Cuadrado never have been a guy to lead a team..neither in his clubs and nieither in national team. he is a player that is dangerous in wings......not more....

actually his numbers are good in offensive contribution with nt...

neither he have a huge fan base...............but people just consider him a reliable guy because he is...........the fact that he isnt able to be a guy with momentum to be the leader of a team doesnt mean he deserves cristicim.

also helps that he have a repsonible club career and life style.

I dont see a good reason to kicked him out if he is in shape......he will make better than other in his position.....

not because james in impopular, cuadrado deserves the revenge of his fan boys

24. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    when a player run and givem compromise in matches, in his career you dont expect he recived boos just for bad matches

25. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Cuadrado works hard off the ball but he goes hero mode for us. It's honestly a coaching problem, if you can't see how he slows the game down and keep him tactically in check its on the mangers, the fact that our last manager let him do whatever he wanted and gave him that role is weak management more than anything, for Juve he plays his role really well.

Managers need to be strong whoever you are, if you give a tactical plan make them follow it or they hit the bench, also you should be the leader teaching players and able to move on guys past their prime, instead weak managers rely on the old guys because they don't have the stature and balls to pull the trigger and follow through.

Azucarero and ryu79 repped this.