Mighty *ahem* Spurs ;)

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Doik natz, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Doik natz

Doik natz New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Somerset /London
    Spurs have made an audacious double swoop to strengthen their team
    by almost signing Ronaldo and Vieri.

Boss Glenn Hoddle said "I think this will prove to everyone how
    ambitious we are and that we are the top club in Europe. This continues the good progress from when we almost signed Schevchenko last year and only last week we almost signed Rivaldo. If any of the top players in the world become
    available we can guarantee that we will almost sign them."

Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson was quoted as saying " I
    just don't know how we can compete with Spurs. We signed Rio Ferdinand and straight away Spurs respond by almost signing Rivaldo, Ronaldo and Vieri."

Arsene Wenger stated "Spurs are ruining the game with their monopoly on almost signing people. The rest of us just don't stand a chance. I would have loved to have almost signed these 3 players but we are just not in a position to compete."

Spanish giants Real Madrid commented that they were very worried
    that Spurs would start to unsettle some of their stars with the possibility of nearly signing for Spurs being hard to turn down.

Chairman Daniel Levy explained "this is the beginning of another
    golden era in the fortunes of Tottenham Hotspurs football club, we have made extensive funds available to the manager and have told him that that he can nearly sign any player he wishes"

The glory glory days of Tottenham Hotspurs are returning.

2. Mc_Midas

Mc_Midas New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    -Rotherham!-
    ph33r the might of the spurs :[

3. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    been all over soccernet for a week you little plagiarist you :D

4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    LOL...good one mate.

Spurs....my surprise candidate to battle relegation this season in the second half as their old players tire out.

5. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

My thoughts exactly...i also tipped them for relegation this year. If not this year then next if hoddle stays and they keep "almost" singing people.

6. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Same here, as I may have stated on a previous thread. Did you know they almost signed Figo, Van Nistlerooy and Cannavaro as well ? :).

I loved it when we won the Worthington Cup. Before the match all the Spurs fans were crowing about how they were cruising into Europe, and that we were a rubbish team. And then to to form of 'bigger' clubs, certain sections of their fans whinging about a possible penalty*, how they should have won, and how they're the better team in general etc. Glenn was just as graceless in defeat, and that made the win that much sweeter.

*=I think it was a penalty, but then we went the whole season without getting one, so there you go.

P.S. Blackburn have won more league titles than Spurs.

7. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I loved it when you won the Worthington Cup too! Wasn't to pleased about you putting four past us in an earlier round though. Seeing the scum beaten when they were so confident was great though.

8. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Needless to say after that effin return game in the semi at white hair lane i was over the moon with joy when your lot won the game.

As for Hoddle he displayed what a git he was in defeat.He will be another one gone soon as he won't win anything with ENIC holding the purse strings and the internal grumblings that seem to be going on there now.Carr will want out soon and honestly, can you blame Sol for wanting out?He saw the writing on the wall and now has a title medal as well as a FA cup medal to look at.

Their best player by far last season was Poyet who is on his last legs and relys on his aerial ability to score now as the old legs just don't have it anymore.

Hoddle should have stayed with the saints as i think he will be unemployed soon and was far more highly thought of as a manager whilst there.

9. girbo

girbo New Member

Apr 16, 2002
    N E Where
    And what can I say to all you doom-harbingers except reluctantly agree with you.

The 'almost' refrain is one of those cringe-making moments where you just wish you could crawl into a hole somewhere and hope it goes away. Ideally I'd prefer if Glenn did this, but I reckon we'll have to suffer another season of squirming Hoddologies.

One thing I haven't quite decided on yet is if Hoddle is just a crap negotiator or is Levy keeping his pocket stitched up (and the fans in the process)?

If they manage to land Keane, this might just do enough for us to tolerate his meanderings for another season. Can't say I'd be devastated if Sicknote had to go the other way in part exchange.

Mind you it looks as if Sicknote will have his work cut out to keep his status as most injury-plagued player in the club's history. Richards, Acimovic, Thatcher and King are already on the treatment table and it's only the bloody pre-season friendlies. What the hell are they putting in their porridge over there?

10. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

u cant forget Boksicknote he "almost" signed for spurs also. I wish he did. He never plays and just sponges money off the club.

Although it is rumoured that BTCellnet pay his wages. hhhmmmm interesting.....

11. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Looks like Spurs will "almost sign" Morientes this week.

Hmmm...move from the biggest club in the world to Spurs. He be mad not to almost sign for them ;)

12. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    Amazingly Spurs "almost" signed another World Class player in Morientes of Real Madrid. This will make the 15th player Glenn Hoddle has almost signed this summer. He is now having talks with Pele to try and coax him out of retirement. Hoddle said "If we can't get Pele then I will sign myself at least I can guarantee that."

13. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    It's just been confirmed that Pele is looking elsewhere and Hoddle couldn't agree personal terms with himself. ;)

14. girbo

girbo New Member

Apr 16, 2002
    N E Where
    Sounds like our Glenn is trying to cover his proverbial assss.

He now makes an announcement about negotiating for Morientes whilst negotiations are ongoing. This moves him out of the almost mode into, we're actually trying. And if that doesn't work out, they're next going to look at Roy Makaay. And note the gushing glittering generalities he pours forth for Daniel Levy - methinks he doth protest too much.

However, if, (and it's a big IF), Gorgeous Glenn and Desperate Dan manage to land either Morientes, Makaay or Keane before season start, I'll be quite to happy to eat the largest ten gallon chapeau available and bare my backside in Burton's window.

15. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Nice post girbo, I know exactly what you mean. It's like going to a club and chatting up 50 birds. If one fit one comes back home with you it's a great night!!

Just don't pull any more Rebrov's ;)

16. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    i think you have a very good chance with Keane

wait a few weeks..if its obvious he isnt gonna get a game at leeds..then bid for him

he will jump at the chance of 1st team footy

plus your a bigger club than Sunderland ;)

17. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Surely you mean the're almost bigger than the mackems :)

18. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    now now dont let local rivalries cloud your judgement know will ya?

even i will admit everton were a big club.....once apon a time ;)

19. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

lol...blunderland are/never were/going to be a big club.

Boro on the otherhand are on the way up. Juninho, boateng and massimo maccarone all scored tonight when we beat alaves 3-2 (same team which played liverpool in uefa cup 01)

Nationwide beakons for the dirty mackhams.....

20. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    i have maccarone in my fantasy football team

he better not let me down ;)

21. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

he looks good and from most fantasy football things i have seen he looks value for money.

i definatly think he will bag 15+ in the prem

22. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    i was quite suprised that you bought maccarone...firstly becos i expected him to join a "big" seria a club and secondly cos italians dont seem to leave italy at such a young age

but by all accounts he seems an excellent player and should do well for you....the official Seria A magazine describes him as a younger version of Ravanelli

23. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    But they will "almost" stave off relegation...so it'll be ok because the 1st division is "almost" the premier league. However, after relegation they will have to settle for "almost" signing the "almost" great players... :)

24. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Be afraid Boro Lad, be very afraid...:D.

25. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    And remember this Boro lad...the better he does, the quicker he'll want to return home so he can play for the National team.

Italian players are great if they are mature and international call ups are not on the cards.
    If they are young and have a decent season look out as delusions of grandeur soon come home to roost and they suddenly see themselves as having to go back home so they have a shot at a cap.

Ref..Sam Dalla Bona.