Midnight Riders: Advisory on Travel to Easten Conf. Championship

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Midnight Riders, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Midnight Riders

Feb 17, 1999
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Midnight Riders Advisory to Revolution supporters looking to make the trip to RFK Stadium for purposes of the 2004 MLS Eastern Conference Final

The Midnight Riders, a New England Revolution independent supporters association, are both encouraged and excited as the Revs begin preparations for their third consecutive appearance in the Major League Soccer (MLS) Eastern Conference Championship: a promising match-up with D.C. United, to be held at 7:00PM EST on Saturday, November 6th at RFK Stadium.

We appreciate the expressed interest in attending this match by both members of the Midnight Riders, as well as other Revolution supporters, and encourage all New England fans to be free in demonstrating their backing of the team.

While the Midnight Riders will not be sponsoring an away-trip to Washington, DC to attend this match, we do wish to pass along some considered recommendations for those who do choose to travel.

United supporters, including groups such as the Screaming Eagles and Barra Brava, are passionate about their club, and generally demonstrate positive, expressive, and enthusiastic support. It is worth bearing mind then, that, in certain circumstances, RFK stadium can be an intimidating atmosphere for away supporters, especially in a highly charged playoff atmosphere such as that which is anticipated for this weekend.

Earlier this season, a contingent of Midnight Riders and other Revolution supporters attending an MLS regular season match against D.C. United at RFK were subject to harassment, assault, and threatened assault (including injuries to both persons and property) by select supporters of D.C. United.

Contributing to these concerns is an understanding that RFK Stadium staff were negligent in both their management and response to those problems encountered.

The circumstances of these incidents have since been reported to appropriate parties with RFK Stadium, D.C. United, MLS, and the New England Revolution. The Midnight Riders have been assured by United management that appropriate measures will be taken to protect the interests of fans making the trip down from New England. We believe this assurance was made in good faith, and believe United will do everything in their power to ensure that traveling Revolution fans enjoy their experience attending this match at RFK Stadium.

With that in mind, the Midnight Riders advise all traveling Revolution supporters to exercise caution both inside, and in the immediate vicinity of RFK Stadium. Avoid confrontation whenever possible, do not respond to provocation, and if necessary, seek assistance from Stadium staff and/or security. If, for whatever reason, you do not believe your concerns are adequately being addressed by staff or security personnel, please record the individual's name and/or badge number for future reference, and request to speak to a supervisor.

We have every hope that Saturday’s match will be a positive experience for all traveling Revolution supporters, and ask that everyone demonstrate support for their club in a positive fashion that’s consistent with the better virtues of good sportsmanship.

Sincerely,

The Midnight Riders 2004 Executive Board

2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Good advice for travelling fans anywhere. It makes me extremely sad that away support for ANY team has come to this.

:(

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Moderator, please make this a sticky.

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Bump this thread.

5. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    One thing I would like to add that might help.

If possible - avoid parking in lot 8. I believe that is where the trouble started last time. Lot 8 is where essentially all the tailgating is done - therefore, where all the drinking is done. Add to that the fact that in order to get back to your car you need to walk under a small tunnel and some idiots who may have had a little too much to drink may start crap.

6. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    One thing that has improved since the Midnight Riders most recent, ill-fated visit, is that security for the Barra Brava and Nest is now handled by off-duty Metropolitan Police Dept. officers. This has been a welcome development for everyone concerned, except maybe the CSC security folks. We now have actual crowd-control professionals to deal with. They are much friendlier, and seem to have a much better feeling for what type of behavior to crack down on, and how to appropriately execute said cracking down. If anyone experiences any serious trouble inside the stadium, I would seek out one of these MPD officers first thing - you're much more likely to have your problem addressed in a professional manner than if you go to CSC.

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    These are most helpful suggestions that will surely be considered by those who make the trip down this weekend: it is good to hear that MPD officers are now keeping an eye on your supporters groups other than CSC Security, and it would be nice to think that Revolution supporters may directly, or indirectly have played a role in that change. I sincerely hope there will be no further "unpleasantness" this weekend.

As indicated previously, Kevin Payne has explicitly given his word that D.C. United will do "everything in its power" ensure that away supporters will not suffer problems in making the trip to RFK Stadium. Your club has some of the most passionate and enthusiastic supporters in the league, and it would be a shame should your good reputation be sullied by the actions of a select few allowed to diminish the experience for visiting supporters.

The Magpie

8. Rev's Irish Rose

Rev's Irish Rose New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Somerville, MA.
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, guys, however many of you travel down to D C for the game, please stay safe. I cannot go because I am going to Ireland tonight to visit with my family for my brother's 40th birthday party.Have you ever been torn over a decision you made months earlier? I sure am!!! Hopefully our boys will win on Saturday night and I will be in Los Angeles for sure for the MLS Cup Final!!!!! That will most certainly make up for not being in D C on the 6th. Talk to you all when I get back on the 10th. Go New England Revolution!!!!!!!!!!!!!Carmel.

9. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on down!
    We'd love to have you.
    There's safety in numbers, anyway.
    For each of you that stays away in fear, you increase the danger (what little there is) to the brave souls that won't be intimidated.
    I don't think there's much danger anyway.
    The fearmongering is way overdone.

I, for one, offer a solemn pledge to intervene in any unpleasantness that arises in my presence between supporters of our 2 teams, in order to maintain an atmosphere conducive to everyone's enjoyment of the sport we all love.
    I promise to be a good host.
    Your attendance here (in DC) is appreciated and welcome.

Thanks for your time.

10. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Absolutely come. I think ALL true DC supporters are embarassed and ashamed of what happened. If we have to, we'll walk you out to make sure you're safe.

Sachin

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sachin ... love to have some of you guys come by and say hi at the half!

12. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Glad to see the situation is changing.

While I cannot afford to attend, and there is lingering resentment at the events of this summer, I know that the actions of the few jerks that darkened the DC trip were not representative of the DC fans.

If you beat us, hope you guys beat the winner of the Worst West Conference and take it all,

but I want more then anything for it to be us.

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Should I wear my Steeler's garb?

:D

Sachin

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now for that, I might just have to start a fight! :)

I'll just have to wear the Reigning Super Bowl Champions T Shirt under my Revs kit ... ;)

15. 4Winds

4Winds New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Chattanooga
    Sachin, I hope you are right. Last weekend I sat with the ESC -- way back in a very dark corner of the stadium so that our team couldn't see or hear us -- and I was very glad I was with our boys. Maybe you were the ONE DC supporter who came to us to shake hands after the match. I was really glad your team has such strong supporters. But I would advise the Revs fans to be very, very careful.

16. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I did come by to say hi to Jamison and a few others who I know.

The reason why you guys are in the "dark corner of the stadium" is because of what happened last year.

Honestly, I wish United would designate a section away from our supporter clubs as the "away fans" section. Of course, if that were to happen, it would probably be in an even worse location as our various clubs have taken over the "TV side" of RFK.

It's something that's been talked about for the new stadium.

Sachin