Midfield - The Fourth Man

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by michaec, Oct 26, 2003.

1. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Agreed about the free kicks and corners!!!

2. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Midfield - The Fourth Man

Is that directed at me? I don;t recall saying Edu has more agression than Parlour?!?

3. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Re: Re: Re: Midfield - The Fourth Man

I agree with this almost 100 percent, except I'd probably have Wiltord on the right instead of Pennant. Whether anyone likes it or not, Pires will drift inside during the course of the game like he did against Charlton. I've heard that he's too lightweight to play in the middle, but I don't buy that. It's where he played a few years ago for France in that tourney in Japan, and it's where he'd be playing now for Les Bleus if the greatest player in the world wasn't already there.

Our creativity, which was once such a strong point, has sucked lately. Pires in the middle might be the cure.

4. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Midfield - The Fourth Man

No, it was a reference to another post in the same thread!

5. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Midfield - The Fourth Man

Wenger did start with Pires in the middle for the first few games of the 2001-2002 season. He was a bit lightweight in there in the hurly-burly of the English game. Maybe the slower pace at international level suits him better in this position, but it seems that Wenger has largely abandoned the idea of playing him in the middle for Arsenal.

6. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Midfield - The Fourth Man

he may have abandoned it, but it's still a good idea if i say so myself. that was his second season (correct me if i'm wrong, but i think it was) and although he did incredibly well, i think he is physically stronger now. i mean, i know he hasn't been the same since his injury, but i feel that he has the strength to get down and dirty now if he feel so inclined

7. juice013

juice013 New Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Toronto
    Passing is a bigger part of the game for Parlour in midfield than it is for Campbell at the back. I would go with Edu because Gilberto and Parlour have no passing ability whatsoever, it seems. With Parlour's hustle and good tackling abilities, I wonder how he would look at right back?

8. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Midfield - The Fourth Man

It may be alright against the weker sides in the Premiership, but would you want him in there against Keane/Butt, Hamann/Gerrard, Makele/Lampard? He'd be eaten alive. Out on the wing he gets more space to work his magic.

Parlour has played at right-back before, several years ago Lee Dixon was injured and he had a run of a few games in the position. A few of my friends and I thought he would end up there when Dixon retired as he played well when pressed into service. If Wenger decides not to recall Volz for Lauren's suspension (I reckon he will though), I'd rather see Parlour playing there than Toure, mainly because if Wenger wants Toure as his first choice centre half he shouldn't mess him about. I doubt if any other of our youngsters have done enough to get into the Premiership side, Justin Hoyte played well there against Rotherham, but I can't see Wenger taking that much of a chance.

9. CraigN

CraigN New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    Scotland
    I voted for Edu, i feel its time for him to be given the chance to show what he can do. There hasnt been many occasions where he has partnered PV in midfield, from what i have seen he has improved a huge amount, and like someone has said previously i used to cringe when i saw Edu on the team sheet.

Having him in the side would free up PV to get forward a bit more and go on those wonderful forward charges of his!!

If PV isnt playing tho comes the doubt in my mind, super Ray is a great ball winner and will battle all day and fight for everyball. I dunno if the pairing of GS and Edu would do that as effectively as RP replacing one of them.

I know the jury is still fully out on GS, i think hes a good player tho, he just seems to be lacking consistency or the confidence to play his game when PV isnt around, maybe he just needs some more time, AW clearly sees something about him as he keeps playing him, so we just gotta trust his judgement and hope that GS starts to get back to something he was like before.

10. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    5.11.03 - Again Edu has been left out in favour of, I'm guessing Parlour. Of course I wouldn't mind seeing him instead of Gilberto either.